WHAT DO I TELL THE PIGGIES.

I couldn't get peppers, cucumber or lettuce on Saturday. The piggies got a dandelion leaf, a handful of grass and a bit of leftover pepper on Saturday. Sunday I managed to get celery so they had a bit of that with sow thistle, grass and some dried peppermint. Similar repeat yesterday. Today I managed to get peppers and a bagged salad mix, when this happened last year it wasn't a problem for us as we had lots of veg in the garden, fingers crossed the weather warms up soon and things will start growing properly again. I'm glad I've got a selection of dried forage though, it does help the fresh veg stretch. Off to talk to my mint plant that is starting to show some green!

Very little veggies at Morrison’s last Friday, not much better at Aldi yesterday, only three bags of green peppers 🫑 left and very little else

Doing my weekly shop on Thursday and already feeling quite stressed out by what the shelves will look like 😞 Will the piggies be ok with just hay and pellets if I can’t get any veg? I know we’re all in the same boat
I'm sure there will be some veg, just maybe not as much variety.

I went to my local Morrisons twice last week and all they had was a few sad looking romaine lettuce packs. I am going first thing in the morning in the hope they have some peppers and cucumber. My piggies will be putting a complaint in to the steward on this site!
I have to say today all the mini gem lettuces were covered in wierd brown things. It wasn’t mud but I didn’t risk it.

Very worrying for piggies! Our sainsburys delivery order is due Thursday so interesting to see what is missing. Luckily we also have a local Asda and Tesco, may end up having to visit them all to get enough peppers for the w(h)eek- we get through 9 usually, and the noo frends are a bit fussy- yellow is preferred, they like a bit of red too but if there isnt an even mix or more yellow then the last few pieces of red get left on the plate and weed on!

Doing my weekly shop on Thursday and already feeling quite stressed out by what the shelves will look like 😞 Will the piggies be ok with just hay and pellets if I can’t get any veg? I know we’re all in the same boat
In worst case scenario where there's no veggies, is there anywhere you can grab some grass?

Its a worry, but lets not get too worried- we all freaked out at the start of the first covid lockdown didnt we and started growing our own lettuces and coriander on every windowsill, filling our patios with planters full of carrots... and even then it was only minor localused shortages of certain veg for a couple of wheeks.
By March, we'll be getting plenty veg again I reckon, especially with the relatively mild weather in late January/early February. The December cold snap plus rising heating prices deterred some UK and European growers from early planting, but things soon warmed up and energy prices peaked sooner and lower than the worst forecasts.
Stay calm piggies, spring is on the way!

I'm lucky in that there's not a lot of things the goblins won't eat, so there'll be something. My problem is that I can only really do an online order once a week, so I'm stuck with whatever turns up that week. Driving or access to a car would help that, but you work with what you've got to work with.

Back