• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Wet chin

This may sound horrible, but during the night I half hoped he would pass peacefully in his sleep overnight. Then he wouldn't be uncomfortable any more and I wouldn't have to make the decision when and where.
However this morning he is still with us. He nibbled my finger when I put it out in front of his nose, so I gave him a joint support biscuit, then some cucumber strips and CC, which he started to eat, along with some soft meadow hay.
Later on I'll find some soft grass and hay and see how he is when I get him out for his medicines.

(Tigery isn't being entirely helpful, she still keeps trying to steal his food! Come on lady, show a bit more sympathy for your loving husboar!)

I know how you feel and it isn’t horrible. You may remember my Edward was staying with Wiebke last summer when he was poorly. He grew weaker and I half hoped he would pass away peacefully. He didn’t and in the end, we had to make the decision to help him over the bridge when he lost the ability to swallow 😞 (((hugs))) it sounds like Squeaks is a real fighter but sometimes we have to look at their quality of life over quantity x

Sadly, I think Squeaks will be having to make that final journey soon.
Kim endeavoured to examine inside his mouth, but had to do it in 2 parts because it was becoming too much for him in his weak state. She couldn't see anything obviously wrong that would be causing the drooling and loss of apetite, though his molars are starting to slant simply because he hasn't been eating enough hay the last few days. A few marks on the inside of his mouth, but not current ulceration or classic oral thrush. Incisors aren't meeting correctly if I remember right, so he has difficulty picking up food or biting it. In view of his weakness, loss of weight and breathing difficulty she said we will have to make that decision for him very soon most likely.
It's possible increased pain somewhere is causing the drooling etc, so she has given me extra Gabapentin, to take 3 times a day instead of 2, to see if that helps. Also I have a little Itrafungol in case there is thrush starting and I asked for some Fibreplex to help his gut as he hasn't been eating enough hay. I hope we can turn him round, but realistically it's probably more a case of helping him to be more comfortable while I steel myself to make that final call to the vet.

When I got home I set up my Ferplast cage indoors so I can better look after him, but he looked so tired and weak when I put him in there that it brought me to tears and I was ready to call a vet in the morning. But he had moved when I went back after my tea, and seemed interested so I got him some raspberry leaves and seedy grass, which he ate. So then he also had a little CC with fibreplex and I got more grass for them. At bedtime I gave him all his meds , some water, and some strips of veg, and he managed a bit more grass, albeit slowly. He's in a fleece tunnell now with hay and grass to hand.

I'll see how he is in the morning, I don't really know what to do. He still wants to eat, so he's not quite given up yet himself. But I guess it's the quality of life issue. I think maybe I should make that call and book an appointment for Friday if he's still alert etc in the morning (Tuesday). If some kind of miracle occurs because of the meds, I can always cancel it...

@furryfriends (TEAS) , what procedure do they use for euthanasia at C&R? Do they allow you to hold your pet at the end or anything like that? Not sure Squeaks will need much to help him on his way as he is so weak anyway!

(sorry about all the spiel, just getting it off my chest .... 😢 )
I hope it doesn't come to this, but if you do have to help him over the rainbow bridge, you won't be able to be with him, as the piggies are given some gas, prior to receiving the injection to put them to sleep. I always take their little friend/s too, so they can see them after they've gone, as I feel it helps with the grieving process for them. When Maude was put to sleep, a couple of weeks ago, Clover, Shelly and Buster went along too. Simon let me stay in one of the spare consultation rooms, with them, while they spent some time with Maude, which was nice.

I hope it doesn't come to this, but if you do have to help him over the rainbow bridge, you won't be able to be with him, as the piggies are given some gas, prior to receiving the injection to put them to sleep. I always take their little friend/s too, so they can see them after they've gone, as I feel it helps with the grieving process for them. When Maude was put to sleep, a couple of weeks ago, Clover, Shelly and Buster went along too. Simon let me stay in one of the spare consultation rooms, with them, while they spent some time with Maude, which was nice.
That's a pity. I wonder if just gas would be enough to send him on his way, but I guess they would do the injection too anyway to make sure.

Yes I will take Tigery so she can say goodbye in her own way. I really hoped - and expected - that Squeaks would be here with her for more months, but at least she made him happy again in his final months. He was so excited to have a new lady friend in his hutch when I brought them home together.

When my piggies have been pts, they’ve always been taken away as like Debbie says, the vet gives them gas before the final injection. My pigs have always been bought back to me wrapped in the fleece or blanket I took them in and then I bring them home to bury.

I’m still hoping that he turns a corner and you don’t have to make the decision just yet but Squeaks has had a lovely few months with Tigery and although it may have been short, at least he’s been very happy so please do take heart in that x

Sending you hugs. There's so many mixed emotions at this stage in their lives. You are not wrong in wanting the decision taken out of your hands, I think we all feel like that sometimes. Thinking of you.

Well now I am in a quandary. Since yesterday morning he is definitely more alert. Yesterday after his morning meds he sat eating grass on my lap for an hour and a half solid. After that there was CC in the cage, more grass which he ate some of. Half an hour more on my lap for meds and grass late afternoon and again before bed. After I put him back in the evening, he even went and drank from the bottle for 2 minutes, before having a minor disagreement with Tigery over possession of the fleece tunnel before settling in a snuggle sack. He's now on my lap again having had his morning meds, munching away.
Perhaps he has turned a corner, his chin even seems less wet. The joy when he left some poops on my lap yesterday evening was indescribable ! And there were more in the snuggle sack later - very small but otherwise almost normal. But I don't know for sure - it could still be too late.
I think I'm going to email Kim and suggest a Friday appointment so she can re-assess. If she still thinks it's not looking good, we can opt for pts then and there. If it's worth continuing, I can get a resupply of the meds.
The main worry is that his molars will overgrow while Kim and Simon are on holiday, if he can't eat enough to wear them down, as I don't think he'll be fit for a conscious dental on Friday despite his progress.
🤔

Well now I am in a quandary. Since yesterday morning he is definitely more alert. Yesterday after his morning meds he sat eating grass on my lap for an hour and a half solid. After that there was CC in the cage, more grass which he ate some of. Half an hour more on my lap for meds and grass late afternoon and again before bed. After I put him back in the evening, he even went and drank from the bottle for 2 minutes, before having a minor disagreement with Tigery over possession of the fleece tunnel before settling in a snuggle sack. He's now on my lap again having had his morning meds, munching away.
Perhaps he has turned a corner, his chin even seems less wet. The joy when he left some poops on my lap yesterday evening was indescribable ! And there were more in the snuggle sack later - very small but otherwise almost normal. But I don't know for sure - it could still be too late.
I think I'm going to email Kim and suggest a Friday appointment so she can re-assess. If she still thinks it's not looking good, we can opt for pts then and there. If it's worth continuing, I can get a resupply of the meds.
The main worry is that his molars will overgrow while Kim and Simon are on holiday, if he can't eat enough to wear them down, as I don't think he'll be fit for a conscious dental on Friday despite his progress.
🤔
You never know he my have had something lodged in his teeth or throat that was causing him to drool and now it’s gone. So glad he seems to have turned a corner 🤞

I'm just sitting in the Hotel Chocolat Factory Shop cafe outside Northampton having a celebratory chocolate shake. Been to see Kim, and Squeaks has staged a remarkable recovery. He has gained 100g (probably about half water) and is well on the way to being back to his normal self.
She was even able to give him a little conscious dental treatment as he was clearly tolerating it, unlike Monday.
I have more Itrafungol to do a complete course, and a months' worth of liquid gabapentin to continue on the 3 times a day regime. Back to see Kim on July 27th for a dental as he has to have them done about monthly anyway and that will give us a chance to confirm that whatever caused the drooling is gone.

I am so relieved. Thank you all for your healing vibes and prayers 🙏
🎉🎉

So pleased to hear such positive news.
You deserved that chocolate shake.
I hope you also forced yourself to get the piggies a big paper bag :D
Thank you!

Yes, the piggies persuaded me that some nice chocolates also were in order so my husband can celebrate too and to thank him for his support. So I had to have a bag to put them in - yummy looking cherry brandy truffles and gin truffles and rose & violet cremes 😋. I'll save the bag for your herd for next time we meet 😀

Thank you.
I hope you enjoy the chocolates.
It’s kind of you to offer me the bag but don’t your piggies want it ?

Good excuse for a Birmingham meet though 😊

My piggies aren't really paper bag aficionados (and I've not had a Hotel Chocolat one before 😮) . I have other paper bags they can have to try when Squeaks is a bit better.

Squeaks was sitting on my lap yesterday evening for his medicines and critical care, I had that lovely warm feeling ...;):D

He finished his Itrafungol a week ago, he is still eating well and his chin etc is dry, so presumably the oral thrush has cleared up. However I'm still a bit concerned about him because he hasn't gained back any more weight, and since a few days after his last vet visit he has had noisy breathing. It sounds kind of bubbly or popping - most of the time but not 100%. I did wonder if it was him breathing through excess saliva or some such, I thought it wouldn't be a URI as it doesn't seem to stop him eating. I don't know whether it's worth taking him to my local vet as Kim is still on holiday, if it isn't a URI they won't be able to examine his mouth to see if there is anything there.

I've been increasing the amount and frequency of critical care and especially the grass I've been giving him to try to get some weight back on him, but it hasn't worked - he actually lost about 50g on Friday, but I started syringing water as well as more watery CC and he's gone back up again. Perhaps he's not using the bottle enough - he also seems to prefer nuggets to critical care and they are obviously quite dry! I'm presuming it is ok in the circumstances to give him as much nuggets as he wants, as Debbie @furryfriends (TEAS) says she gives often mushed pellets rather than recovery foods to poorly pigs (his current pellets are Versele Laga, which say they contain long fibres which are better for dental wear than other pellets). I hope he stays stable even if he doesn't gain any weight until he goes to see Kim on the 27th.

The poor old boy also I think has lost most of his sight, both his eyes are cloudy and he doesn't react much if I put my hand near his eyes. The worries of old age!

Squeaks was sitting on my lap yesterday evening for his medicines and critical care, I had that lovely warm feeling ...;):D

He finished his Itrafungol a week ago, he is still eating well and his chin etc is dry, so presumably the oral thrush has cleared up. However I'm still a bit concerned about him because he hasn't gained back any more weight, and since a few days after his last vet visit he has had noisy breathing. It sounds kind of bubbly or popping - most of the time but not 100%. I did wonder if it was him breathing through excess saliva or some such, I thought it wouldn't be a URI as it doesn't seem to stop him eating. I don't know whether it's worth taking him to my local vet as Kim is still on holiday, if it isn't a URI they won't be able to examine his mouth to see if there is anything there.

I've been increasing the amount and frequency of critical care and especially the grass I've been giving him to try to get some weight back on him, but it hasn't worked - he actually lost about 50g on Friday, but I started syringing water as well as more watery CC and he's gone back up again. Perhaps he's not using the bottle enough - he also seems to prefer nuggets to critical care and they are obviously quite dry! I'm presuming it is ok in the circumstances to give him as much nuggets as he wants, as Debbie @furryfriends (TEAS) says she gives often mushed pellets rather than recovery foods to poorly pigs (his current pellets are Versele Laga, which say they contain long fibres which are better for dental wear than other pellets). I hope he stays stable even if he doesn't gain any weight until he goes to see Kim on the 27th.

The poor old boy also I think has lost most of his sight, both his eyes are cloudy and he doesn't react much if I put my hand near his eyes. The worries of old age!

It sounds like he’s doing okay! The Maddock’s are back in work tomorrow, if you did feel you wanted to get him seen xx

Squeaks sounds to be an amazing old gent! At his age it is very, very hard to get any weight back on them so I think it's fine to let them eat all the nuggets they want. Nutritional uptake becomes harder in old age and appetite is often reduced, so they often simply can't eat enough hay to meet their requirements.

Back