Vitamin C Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I give my guinea pig vitamin C through water doesn't do him any harm
Yes, same. I have been told otherwise and to buy vitamin tablets off of Amazon. If my guinea pigs like the water and are drinking it, there is no harm caused. People have different opinions, I feel like the water supplement I give my pigs is fine and they are healthy.

What is it so bad that I shouldn't give them a water supplement, surely it's safe otherwise pets at home wouldn't sell it

There are several reasons why it isn't a good idea to give Vit C in water. Firstly , as above posts have said, it can change the taste of the water. Also, Vit C breaks down when exposed to daylight so, unless you cover the water bottle, after a few hours won't be any good anyway. Another reason is that different GPs drink different amounts of water (they get their water from their veggies too) so there's no way of telling how much they've taken.

I give my guinea pigs Oxbow Vit C tablets occasionally. I only give them a tablet when I think their diet is a bit low in Vit C . They take the tablets from my hand any enjoy eating them - so it's a treat for them! As they're accustomed to taking these tablets, I am pretty sure that, if one of them gets poorly, I should be able to up their Vit C intake .

What is it so bad that I shouldn't give them a water supplement, surely it's safe otherwise pets at home wouldn't sell it
Pets at home sell all sorts of things that are bad for guinea pigs, treats, shavings. They are just there to make money and do not care about animals. The link I showed you advised never to put vitamin c in water and explains why but piggieowner has said the reasons too. I am not here to give you wrong advice. I am trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back