Vitamin C Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiana n tiny

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
please, the vets around me don't know anything about guinea pigs..... how do I give my piggies vitamin c? because I currently give them my vitamin c, orally

Do they accept it? How many mg is it? I crush a tablet and put it on a slice of cucumber for mine. I buy ones specially for guinea pigs.

You can get a vitamin c solution to put in their water bottles but the rspca have advised me that as long as they have enough vit c high veggies supplements are not required :)

Mine get a pepper piece or celery every day plus other veggies and some nuggets and they are fine

Vitamins that go in water are a bad idea as the water tastes odd and guinea pigs will not drink it. They do not get the full dose either.

You can get a vitamin c solution to put in their water bottles but the rspca have advised me that as long as they have enough vit c high veggies supplements are not required :)
Vit C solution wrecks their water and makes it taste nasty. Not a good idea to add these to water.

:agr:Yeah, that why I asked the rspca lady who was organising my adoption, I'd read a lot online about the water supplement and thought it was the best thing to do (obviously before I found this place lol) but I've never been keen on giving animals supplements unless it's essential, it's a bit like us, if you eat right you shouldn't need to take vitamins :tu:

A good quality pellet with stabilised vitamin c and a selection of daily veg will give a healthy piggy all the vitamin C they need. Peppers, in particular, are high in vitamin c. A poorly piggy, however, requires up to ten times the amount of vitamin c as a healthy piggy. In this case it is a good idea to supplement. Oxbow Daily C capsules are generally well-liked.

yea, so giving them fresh veggies should be constant.,...,. and @piggyfan, I don't know the milligram, but I do crush it and administer to them orally... the vet shops around don't sell supliments for smaller animals.

yea, so giving them fresh veggies should be constant.,...,. and @piggyfan, I don't know the milligram, but I do crush it and administer to them orally... the vet shops around don't sell supliments for smaller animals.
Well animal ones are 50mg so I am guessing it should not be higher. Which vegetables do they get?

feed a slice of pepper daily for vitamin c. no need for supplements except in times of illness when they may need extra help. :)

guinea pigs should have fresh vegetables everyday. They can also have leftovers from: salads,fruit salads or leftover from dinner. carrots is the only vegetable that they can eat everyday, and they dont have to be peeled.broccoli is also a favourite of my guinea pig , and they canhave this a few times a week the other vegetables are : corriander, peppers, raspberries leaves,courgette,green cabbage,celery,cucumber,corn on he cob, and tomatoes. fruit (only to be given 1-2 times a week) : banana pears apple grapes strawberries blueberries and kiwi.
foods to be avoided : seeds and nuts, chocolate, iceberg lettuce, rhubarb,tomatoe leaves, mushrooms,daisies,green beans,dairy products, bread, buttercups and daffodils, sultanas. hope this helped.

guinea pigs should have fresh vegetables everyday. They can also have leftovers from: salads,fruit salads or leftover from dinner. carrots is the only vegetable that they can eat everyday, and they dont have to be peeled.broccoli is also a favourite of my guinea pig , and they canhave this a few times a week the other vegetables are : corriander, peppers, raspberries leaves,courgette,green cabbage,celery,cucumber,corn on he cob, and tomatoes. fruit (only to be given 1-2 times a week) : banana pears apple grapes strawberries blueberries and kiwi.
foods to be avoided : seeds and nuts, chocolate, iceberg lettuce, rhubarb,tomatoe leaves, mushrooms,daisies,green beans,dairy products, bread, buttercups and daffodils, sultanas. hope this helped.
Guinea pigs cannot eat carrots daily as they are high in sugar and vitamin A.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi this is nothing to do with guinea pigs , but am new to this website so can you tell me please what does it mean when someone quotes me?

Have to be careful with Carrot however as they are high in sugar.

Guinea pigs cannot eat carrots daily as they are high in sugar and vitamin c.
yh they can if you ask any pet store they will tell you that carrots are proberbly the highest in vitamin c. thanks

yh they can if you ask any pet store they will tell you that carrots are proberbly the highest in vitamin c. thanks
Sorry but carrots are not high in vitamin c as others vegetables and I would never listen to a pet shop.

Reactions: Azi
This just proves most pet shops are not pet savvy at all! I see a pet shop feeding piggies potatoes once! I reported them...poisonous. pet shops are just a money making mill and they have quotas to fill in selling animals.

hi this is nothing to do with guinea pigs , but am new to this website so can you tell me please what does it mean when someone quotes me?
It means they are replying to something you have said.

A quote is how I have replied to your above post, see your post in the pink box - That's a quote, its a way of replying to someone in a post.

This just proves most pet shops are not pet savvy at all! I see a pet shop feeding piggies potatoes once! I reported them...poisonous. pet shops are just a money making mill and they have quotas to fill in selling animals.
i agree. my local pet shop doesnt care what happens to any animal unless they are making money.

Since I've had my guinea pigs I have given them the vitamin C water supplement. They seem to like it as their water goes down. I have read about guinea pigs have vitamin C deficiency, so that's why I bought it and they are not very keen on bell peppers (which are high in vitamin C) I wasn't sure what else to give them that has vitamin C in it.

Since I've had my guinea pigs I have given them the vitamin C water supplement. They seem to like it as their water goes down. I have read about guinea pigs have vitamin C deficiency, so that's why I bought it and they are not very keen on bell peppers (which are high in vitamin C) I wasn't sure what else to give them that has vitamin C in it.
If you want to give vitamin c then please by tablets and not add it to the water. I use these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxbow-Daily-Vitamin-Supplement-Chinchillas/dp/B0029LQGFQ

This will show you vegetables which contain vitamin c.
http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html

What is it so bad that I shouldn't give them a water supplement, surely it's safe otherwise pets at home wouldn't sell it

What is it so bad that I shouldn't give them a water supplement, surely it's safe otherwise pets at home wouldn't sell it
I give my guinea pig vitamin C through water doesn't do him any harm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back