Urgent advice needed re bond attempt

OK thanks @Wiebke for your quick reply. Pistachio sometimes rounds on the baby but hasn’t actually nipped him. So I feel it’s on a knife edge. They are both resting now, at either end of the run.

All you can do is ride the tiger wherever it takes you. They either gel or they won't. That is at the bottom of every bonding.

It sounds really stupid but how will I know it’s done, if it’s positive?

Usually if they take a nap at the same time (not necessarily next to each other) and are fine for a half hour after that, it's looking good.

It sounds really stupid but how will I know it’s done, if it’s positive?

It’s not stupid.
Essentially, you’ll know because nothing bad (ie fights) will happen. Leave them in the bonding pen all day, even overnight if needed/you’re unsure. You really don’t want to rush them through this stage

Usually if they take a nap at the same time (not necessarily next to each other) and are fine for a half hour after that, it's looking good.

That tip is not wrong but it can lead to fights in the cage if the signs are misread.

If the boys are sleeping at the other ends of the cage then this is a clear message that the bonding has not yet happened. It is really important to not rush the intro because the move to the cage and furniture introduces the territorial aspect. If the personality mesh is not properly sorted, then the added stress factor can derail it all and can easily end deep slit second defence bites.

The problem is that this is very individual so if the signs are by no means all friendly and there is still some teeth chattering; even if it is mild, we are still working on acceptance and have not progressed yet. So even if the boars are resting, it is not clear sailing by any means. As long as there is no sign of imminent aggression/fear-aggression, the longer you leave a bond in the neutral zone, the better. Most of us prefer an overnighter rather than a short intro and a quick move to the cage because it really makes a difference for the settling in at the cage.

OK thanks I won’t rush it but hope they don’t fight when finally left overnight. I have been in here three hours so far!
At the moment it feels as thought they keep swapping roles, so baby will come up, Pistachio will chatter his teeth and scare baby off ……and then in a while baby will rumble strut while Pistachio does the higher pitched submissive noise.

So the way I see things, looking at the Bonding guide. Baby Peanut is exhibiting fear-aggression by rumbling and bum-wiggling. This is interspersed with zoomies, popcorns, eating, exploring and napping. He also keeps trying his luck to go into the hidey where Pistachio is resting.
Bereaved Pistachio is occasionally chasing him, sometimes with teeth chattering and I have seen him force his nose up once. I think as the guide says, he’s a reluctant dominant (he was submissive to his brother) and it is taking some time to work out. Mostly he’s resting while Peanut is more active. I hope this doesn’t become a nuisance to him.
If there is another fight as last Friday, I will separate forever and they can live side by side. I just hope they are OK overnight…

Pistachio initiates chases every so often and Peanut teeth chatters back, I saw him rise up once. But Pistachio is talking in a high pitched tone, like he did when submitting to his late brother. So it’s a real mixture and I am finding it rather stressful!
So just now, they have been sitting about a foot away from each other, and both talking in loud high pitched voices while they ate different things.

I am still worried we now have this: . ‘Just be careful that you don't have a very feisty younger guinea pig with a very laid back older guinea pig. In that case, the younger one may challenge the older one's position as alpha guinea pig’ (from Animal Humane Society).

Please just sit it out. I know it’s nerve wracking but for now it doesn’t sound like anything terrible is happening. They are trying to come to an agreement.

I am still worried we now have this: . ‘Just be careful that you don't have a very feisty younger guinea pig with a very laid back older guinea pig. In that case, the younger one may challenge the older one's position as alpha guinea pig’ (from Animal Humane Society).

I have a 6.5 year old bereaved boar (we lost Dexter, his cage mate, of 6 years back in March) who was dominant in his previous pairing but being an older boar has of course mellowed out completely.

I also have two 2 year olds (literally just turned 2 years) who were a pair but their bond failed due to them both being dominant at 18 weeks of age (just 9 week after I got them). They have lived separated since.
So basically I’ve got three dominant boars.

After two months of having all three living by themselves but side by side I decided to risk a bonding between my bereaved boy and one of the youngsters. I was worried but decided to take the chance.
What actually happened is that my older bereaved boy was just happy to have a friend again and has let the youngster be the dominant. There is of course mounting and rumbling but they’ve settled right down. They’ve been happily together since June.

Well, they’ve been together almost a week and I am tentatively starting to relax and enjoy them again.

Baby Peanut still rumbles the vast majority of the time, but also popcorns, zooms, tries to sleep near Pistachio (he’s not allowed though) and has started to have a nicer talky voice at times as well.

Pistachio chases him occasionally and I think he’s generally putting up with him rather than liking him. They still flip between who is in charge but I think it’s mostly Pistachio. Today Pistachio wheeked at me for goodies, first time he has wheeked since Peanut arrived. Then they sat and ate the grass together with barely a fuss.

Obviously now I have written this, there is teeth chattering and chasing going on :doh:

Back