Undecided!

rattata

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi GPF gang!

I was supposed to have gotten a pair of bonded boars from a rescue last week but it fell through. Now I have the chance to rehome from a small private (checked) rescue 2 Abyssinian bonded boys that are just over a year old, or some babies.
Now, usually my go to for rehoming would be adult animals, BUT I’m only seeing boars seeking homes far more than sows, and as a first time piggy parent who will be keeping them indoors, I’m not sure if I should actually get females?
The baby ones are of course very cute and have really lovely markings, and are smooth coated.
I’ve read the info regarding the different characteristics of boys vs girls, but ive also seen many piggy owners on social media who have very affectionate and bold sows.

I’d really appreciate anyone sharing their experiences of keeping babies vs adults and personal experiences of sows vs boars, thank you!

Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?

I linked the above thread for you, I think you will find it interesting.

I love my boars. I've only ever had sows once and they didn't have the character the boys have. Boars are harder to rehome and recues are full of them. It really is down to personal preference. Given the choice you have given above I'd go with the 2 rescued Aby's. 1st because they are rescues and 2nd because they are my favourite breed. Babies are much easier to home and won't hang around long.

Boars, sows or mixed pairs; babies or adults?

I linked the above thread for you, I think you will find it interesting.

I love my boars. I've only ever had sows once and they didn't have the character the boys have. Boars are harder to rehome and recues are full of them. It really is down to personal preference. Given the choice you have given above I'd go with the 2 rescued Aby's. 1st because they are rescues and 2nd because they are my favourite breed. Babies are much easier to home and won't hang around long.
Thank you so much for your personal insight on this - much appreciated!
I’ve been going back to the info you’ve linked to, and I have indeed found it very useful. As a first time owner I’m just a little nervous about the potential danger of compaction with boars and the possibility that if one passes away that I may not find a good match for company for the other one. OR I could just be overthinking it all!

Hi GPF gang!

I was supposed to have gotten a pair of bonded boars from a rescue last week but it fell through. Now I have the chance to rehome from a small private (checked) rescue 2 Abyssinian bonded boys that are just over a year old, or some babies.
Now, usually my go to for rehoming would be adult animals, BUT I’m only seeing boars seeking homes far more than sows, and as a first time piggy parent who will be keeping them indoors, I’m not sure if I should actually get females?
The baby ones are of course very cute and have really lovely markings, and are smooth coated.
I’ve read the info regarding the different characteristics of boys vs girls, but ive also seen many piggy owners on social media who have very affectionate and bold sows.

I’d really appreciate anyone sharing their experiences of keeping babies vs adults and personal experiences of sows vs boars, thank you!

Hi

There are lots more boars than sows being sold and therefore looking for homes.

1 year old well bonded boars are past teenage by about 15 months, which means that their bond is about as stable as a sow bond when the hormones settle down. We can give you some tips on how to best manage the move to minimise the inevitable upset of re-establishing their group in the new territory - that is the biggest hurdle with freshly adopted bonded boars.
With boar babies, you have the big teenage gamble as to whether they turn out to be a personality match or not. That is something you can never predict. More pairs than not make it but that is a trend.
The older boars get, the more they mellow because the testosterone runs out by around 4-5 years; even the worst teenagers (or rather, especially them).

Many sows get more uptight in older age since their hormone output never stops or slows down. About three quarters or more develop ovarian cysts although most will go unnoticed and will never cause any life-shortening health issues.

Personality-wise: There are nice and laid back personalities in either gender. We can give you only general trends, but we can never make individual predictions. My tip is: ask the rescue whether it is possible to go and meet the piggies in person before you make up your mind which pair you want. Any adoption or buy is a leap of faith which you will have to make in the end.

Personal experience: I have about ca. 80 sows and 20 neutered boars passing through my life. The percentage of cuddly boars is decidedly higher than that of cuddly sows in my own long term experience.
My most special piggy ever who I shared my closest bond with was a sow but she hated cuddles until the very last days when she was very ill and she would tweak my fingers quite hard. I started out my adult ownership here in the UK with Minx (who promptly presented me with two unplanned babies, by the way) twenty years ago this month so I have ended with mainly sows and as many neutered boars as I can fit in as a result of that.
I love both genders but more of my special 'cuddle' piggies have been boars than sows. My current cuddler is a boar again - my Baeddan (Welsh for 'Boar'). Most of the others aren't really fussed.

Boars all the way!
Boars tend to mellow out and become more affectionate as they age (sows can become grumpy!). I know my two oldest certainly have/did.
I currently have three boars - a 6 year old and two (almost) 2 year olds. The two year olds were a bonded pair but fell out as teenagers so lived side by side. The 6 year old lost his cage mate (who was also 6) back in March. I have since bonded the remaining 6 year old with one of the 2 year olds very successfully.

Impaction only affects a very tiny amount of boars. It should never be a reason to discount them.

Hi

There are lots more boars than sows being sold and therefore looking for homes.

1 year old well bonded boars are past teenage by about 15 months, which means that their bond is about as stable as a sow bond when the hormones settle down. We can give you some tips on how to best manage the move to minimise the inevitable upset of re-establishing their group in the new territory - that is the biggest hurdle with freshly adopted bonded boars.
With boar babies, you have the big teenage gamble as to whether they turn out to be a personality match or not. That is something you can never predict. More pairs than not make it but that is a trend.
The older boars get, the more they mellow because the testosterone runs out by around 4-5 years; even the worst teenagers (or rather, especially them).

Many sows get more uptight in older age since their hormone output never stops or slows down. About three quarters or more develop ovarian cysts although most will go unnoticed and will never cause any life-shortening health issues.

Personality-wise: There are nice and laid back personalities in either gender. We can give you only general trends, but we can never make individual predictions. My tip is: ask the rescue whether it is possible to go and meet the piggies in person before you make up your mind which pair you want. Any adoption or buy is a leap of faith which you will have to make in the end.

Personal experience: I have about ca. 80 sows and 20 neutered boars passing through my life. The percentage of cuddly boars is decidedly higher than that of cuddly sows in my own long term experience.
My most special piggy ever who I shared my closest bond with was a sow but she hated cuddles until the very last days when she was very ill and she would tweak my fingers quite hard. I started out my adult ownership here in the UK with Minx (who promptly presented me with two unplanned babies, by the way) twenty years ago this month so I have ended with mainly sows and as many neutered boars as I can fit in as a result of that.
I love both genders but more of my special 'cuddle' piggies have been boars than sows. My current cuddler is a boar again - my Baeddan (Welsh for 'Boar'). Most of the others aren't really fussed.
Thank you @Wiebke for this information, it’s really very useful and I really appreciate your personal experience with this - definitely lots of good food for thought!

I have two boars and we sadly lost one last year so needed to bond my remaining boar with a new one and we had success on the first attempt! I did a text book what could be deemed as a more challenging bond to do and bonded a 18m old with my 3.5 almost 4 year old and they still get on really well, my first pair would always sit together and were really best buds, current pair are less so but they still enjoy each others company.
I have lots of friends who also have boar pairs and we all love them to bits!

Boars all the way!
Boars tend to mellow out and become more affectionate as they age (sows can become grumpy!). I know my two oldest certainly have/did.
I currently have three boars - a 6 year old and two (almost) 2 year olds. The two year olds were a bonded pair but fell out as teenagers so lived side by side. The 6 year old lost his cage mate (who was also 6) back in March. I have since bonded the remaining 6 year old with one of the 2 year olds very successfully.

Impaction only affects a very tiny amount of boars. It should never be a reason to discount them.
Thanks @Piggies&buns - much appreciated. This is really good to know regarding impaction!

I have two boars and we sadly lost one last year so needed to bond my remaining boar with a new one and we had success on the first attempt! I did a text book what could be deemed as a more challenging bond to do and bonded a 18m old with my 3.5 almost 4 year old and they still get on really well, my first pair would always sit together and were really best buds, current pair are less so but they still enjoy each others company.
I have lots of friends who also have boar pairs and we all love them to bits!

That’s brilliant info regarding your successful bonding and something I will keep in mind! Thank you!

My vote would be for the older boars, as has already been mentioned, boys mellow with age. Also a lot of people will want the babies but not the older piggies. The older ones will already have noticeable personalities and will be more used to handling too.
Both my boys are cuddlers.

I haven’t had boys yet (next time I would) but I can vouch for the fact that girls are not always straightforward! Our lovely Winnie has sadly been bereaved twice now, and between those two occasions, she met 6 potential girl friends and only liked 2 of them!

The rescue we used most recently also agrees that boys get a bad name and wrote this piece which I found interesting and very similar to the points raised above. The Myth About Boys

Like piggleminder, I have a massive soft spot for abys and their ‘abuittude’ so would also lean towards them if I was you!

But it should be whatever you feel comfy with and I’m sure you’ll give them a great home whoever you get.

My vote would be for the older boars, as has already been mentioned, boys mellow with age. Also a lot of people will want the babies but not the older piggies. The older ones will already have noticeable personalities and will be more used to handling too.
Both my boys are cuddlers.
Thabk you! The pros certainly seems to be outweighing the “cons”! I do think I’m probably just over thinking it tbh. And yes, the babies are always much likelier to find homes quickly vs the adults.

I haven’t had boys yet (next time I would) but I can vouch for the fact that girls are not always straightforward! Our lovely Winnie has sadly been bereaved twice now, and between those two occasions, she met 6 potential girl friends and only liked 2 of them!

The rescue we used most recently also agrees that boys get a bad name and wrote this piece which I found interesting and very similar to the points raised above. The Myth About Boys

Like piggleminder, I have a massive soft spot for abys and their ‘abuittude’ so would also lean towards them if I was you!

But it should be whatever you feel comfy with and I’m sure you’ll give them a great home whoever you get.
Thank you - that was a really insightful read!

I’m definitely getting a soft spot for abyys the more I look at them for sure!

I've only ever had boars and every one of the 7 of them has been different from the last (some lovely calm personalities and some complete maniacs, lol), and I decided some time ago it'd only ever be boars for me.

There's horror stories anywhere you care to look on the Internet and in real life - they're going to fight, they're going to stink, they're going to be aggressive - I have to remind my mother on a regular basis that no, the two male guinea pigs I've had in my house now for several years are not going to fight, not automatically going to fight, and not inclined to fight with each other just because they're both male. She doesn't get that idea from me but she gets it from somewhere and it's a persuasive enough argument that she still believes it. Sows can fall out and decide they're not willing to live with each other too, but that's not the story people remember.

I mean everyone else said the important stuff, I just wanted to add to the "please give them a chance" brigade. They'll be no less rewarding as pets than sows :nod:

I've only ever had boars and every one of the 7 of them has been different from the last (some lovely calm personalities and some complete maniacs, lol), and I decided some time ago it'd only ever be boars for me.

There's horror stories anywhere you care to look on the Internet and in real life - they're going to fight, they're going to stink, they're going to be aggressive - I have to remind my mother on a regular basis that no, the two male guinea pigs I've had in my house now for several years are not going to fight, not automatically going to fight, and not inclined to fight with each other just because they're both male. She doesn't get that idea from me but she gets it from somewhere and it's a persuasive enough argument that she still believes it. Sows can fall out and decide they're not willing to live with each other too, but that's not the story people remember.

I mean everyone else said the important stuff, I just wanted to add to the "please give them a chance" brigade. They'll be no less rewarding as pets than sows :nod:
Thank you! Yeh it seems that those stereotypes is very probably the reason why the vast majority of guinea pigs in rescues are boys. I THINK I’m starting to make my mind up and it just MIGHT be team boar haha

Thank you! Yeh it seems that those stereotypes is very probably the reason why the vast majority of guinea pigs in rescues are boys. I THINK I’m starting to make my mind up and it just MIGHT be team boar haha

Yep - and its an undeserved reputation

I've certainly done the sow fall-out a few times - mostly sisters and ovarian cysts... Not always a good combination! :yikes:

The problem is that sows don't have the big fights with bloody bites so their issues are very often overlooked. They are generally more subtle. But it is as much a myth that sows don't fall out as all boars will fight.

And don't get me onto the issue of bonding fallen-out or bereaved sows. Boars are easy compared to adult/older sows; you know so much more quickly where you stand with them.

Go for the Aby bonded boars
1 They will have a stronger bond,
2 Babies may get on now but fall out at any one of their hormone spikes then you're left with two singles and
3 Boys are the best and get even better and more loving with age 💙💙💙💙

You see videos of impacted boar's bottoms, but it takes a while for them to get to the point where they are extreme like that. A weekly twiddle with a Q tip and some coconut oil should keep their pocket under control, if they need it. Indeed, it is usually only a problem in older boars and might never occur in many of them. When they scent mark new places, boars flare their pockets and you can get a faint whiff, but I find it quite a nice expression of their boarish vitality 😄❤️ Once they are back in their cages there is no extra smell at all. My boars are not great for being handled, but will allow me to swipe odd bits of wood shavings out their pockets. I'm glad not to have to worry about ovarian cysts. It's good to clean half the cage at a time as they don't have to re-establish territory if their familiar scent orientation is still around.

In your shoes, if I had a choice, I would choose the older, bonded pair of boars. Boars really do get a bad press but that is largely undeserved as a properly bonded pair can be very loving and stable. With a young pair of boars , as has been mentioned above, you can get big hormone swings that they really can’t help and that can lead to trouble with their bond. When I have fostered pairs of boars, the only issue I’ve had with smell has been firstly when they are in the new environment and scent marking everything, and then re-scent marking after a clean out. I soon learned that a full cage clean should not include removing and replacing all bedding and all houses at one as this became counterproductive in keeping the smell down as my beautiful Fosters had to make everything in the cage smell like them again. Leaving in some bedding and rotating the houses for washing soon sorted that problem out.

Sows tend to get rehomed quicker as they can be added to smaller groups or herds whereas boars can only be kept in a bonded pair or, as one neutered boar, with a sow or group of sows. Anyone who thinks that sows are less trouble than boars is either mistaken or very lucky. I’ve had several times where I’ve had to split up sows into different groups and several times where a solo sow in rescue has taken multiple attempts to find a new companion as they can be exceptionally difficult and picky.

It’s good that you are doing your homework and this Forum will always be here to support you and your new piggies as they settle in.

You see videos of impacted boar's bottoms, but it takes a while for them to get to the point where they are extreme like that. A weekly twiddle with a Q tip and some coconut oil should keep their pocket under control, if they need it. Indeed, it is usually only a problem in older boars and might never occur in many of them. When they scent mark new places, boars flare their pockets and you can get a faint whiff, but I find it quite a nice expression of their boarish vitality 😄❤️ Once they are back in their cages there is no extra smell at all. My boars are not great for being handled, but will allow me to swipe odd bits of wood shavings out their pockets. I'm glad not to have to worry about ovarian cysts. It's good to clean half the cage at a time as they don't have to re-establish territory if their familiar scent orientation is still around.
Thank you so much for the advice regarding their boar bits! As a first time (soon to be) guinea pig parent many of the “worst case” scenarios stand out more for me, but as you say as long as you keep an eye on things and step in with extra care if needed, it definitely sounds very manageable. I’m looking yet to experience “eau de boar” but I’m sure it will be memorable!

In your shoes, if I had a choice, I would choose the older, bonded pair of boars. Boars really do get a bad press but that is largely undeserved as a properly bonded pair can be very loving and stable. With a young pair of boars , as has been mentioned above, you can get big hormone swings that they really can’t help and that can lead to trouble with their bond. When I have fostered pairs of boars, the only issue I’ve had with smell has been firstly when they are in the new environment and scent marking everything, and then re-scent marking after a clean out. I soon learned that a full cage clean should not include removing and replacing all bedding and all houses at one as this became counterproductive in keeping the smell down as my beautiful Fosters had to make everything in the cage smell like them again. Leaving in some bedding and rotating the houses for washing soon sorted that problem out.

Sows tend to get rehomed quicker as they can be added to smaller groups or herds whereas boars can only be kept in a bonded pair or, as one neutered boar, with a sow or group of sows. Anyone who thinks that sows are less trouble than boars is either mistaken or very lucky. I’ve had several times where I’ve had to split up sows into different groups and several times where a solo sow in rescue has taken multiple attempts to find a new companion as they can be exceptionally difficult and picky.

It’s good that you are doing your homework and this Forum will always be here to support you and your new piggies as they settle in.
Very good points, thank you! I think reading insightful comments from experienced owners is really helping with making my mind up. I’m currently planning a cleaning routine that will hopefully make things easier for everyone in the house - both cavy and human. This forum is absolutely brilliant and I’m very grateful for it’s members, like yourself for taking the time to give advice.

When I first became a piggy slave to my first pair of boys, I was overthinking everything! I even thought I might’ve made a poor choice getting boars. I was so worried I would fail them, worried about them falling out etc… but now all of that anxiety is gone. Their individual characters have really come out :)

I recently got two more boys! No regrets at all, but I understand how nerve wracking it can all seem at first!

When I first became a piggy slave to my first pair of boys, I was overthinking everything! I even thought I might’ve made a poor choice getting boars. I was so worried I would fail them, worried about them falling out etc… but now all of that anxiety is gone. Their individual characters have really come out :)

I recently got two more boys! No regrets at all, but I understand how nerve wracking it can all seem at first!
I’m definitely a classic over-thinker for sure haha. Thanks so much for sharing your experience as these are indeed the points I’ve been worried about and it’s definitely helping with my decision

Boys boys boys!

Also I have had an older piggy with impaction and it’s really not that hard to deal with. Just a daily quick squeeze of his pouch and it’s all done. It is the worst smell EVER! 🤢
Well, I’ll look forward to that if it comes to that! Thank you for the heads (nose?) up! 😅

Every day when my boys are out for lap time they get a quick check of their eyes, ears, feet and underbits. We started this when they were young so they would be used to the more thorough weekly check. Dignified Sir George is a very clean boy but Mischievous Master Boris used to be very sloppy with his personal hygiene "down there". Once a week at weighing time I used a lubricant to pop out and check/clean his peepee. He also had an occasional bum bath but none of this was difficult and he didn't mind. Neither one has ever needed a pocket clean at this point.
As for "eau de boar" it's usually only for a day at a time and not constant. As mentioned, half and half cage cleaning or rubbing used items over new really makes a difference.
Cuddly affectionate boys....IMG20240602164739.webpIMG-20240529-WA0004 (1).webp

Every day when my boys are out for lap time they get a quick check of their eyes, ears, feet and underbits. We started this when they were young so they would be used to the more thorough weekly check. Dignified Sir George is a very clean boy but Mischievous Master Boris used to be very sloppy with his personal hygiene "down there". Once a week at weighing time I used a lubricant to pop out and check/clean his peepee. He also had an occasional bum bath but none of this was difficult and he didn't mind. Neither one has ever needed a pocket clean at this point.
As for "eau de boar" it's usually only for a day at a time and not constant. As mentioned, half and half cage cleaning or rubbing used items over new really makes a difference.
Cuddly affectionate boys....View attachment 252845View attachment 252846
Aww look at them - absolutely adorable!
Thank you very much for your personal insights and The daily general check sounds like the best way to do that and nip anything that may crop up in the bud.
I will keep the cleaning tips definitely in mind too!

Back