Uk Members Please Prepare Yourselves - Hot Weather Is Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if you can cool the snuggle safe heat pads ? Was thinking of popping it in the fridge overnight for tomorrow...

What a day! So glad I've been home and not melting at work in uniform!
Pigs have had ice packs since this afternoon as this morning was cool enough. Had to attach the tea towel its wrapped in to the cage as the little monkeys keep knocking it over and attempting to get in. They've both eaten well, had a potter, a sleep, wheeked, Fudge even popcorned this morning and we've had cuddles. Put their bridge in the cage instead of the plastic house/stair bit thinking it would be cooler for them. Last time I checked their ears were a little warm... I just hope we're doing enough.

:D All my girls are indoors. I have the windows open and a fan on . I also give them Icepods, but not convined that they lie on them! Sometimes they seem to avoid them, even though I wrap them in fleece. I think that Indoors is better for them in this weather. You can't control the temperature outside.

My 4 are all indoors in a south facing room so it can get very hot. Fortunately we are off work this week which has made it relatively easy to keep them cool. We've kept the curtains closed, the windows open and a fan going in there for them. I've draped damp tea towels round the c and c and they have had cool blocks (wrapped in home made fleece covers) and frozen water bottles wrapped in damp tea towels. I removed all enclosed cosies and replaced with arches and stools to increase air flow.
Mollie is a teddy/Rex type piggy and she's suffered most. I've been damping her down and she's enjoyed that. Violet is also looking fed up but she's a rather old lady so prefers a constant temperature.

I hope everyone is coping with their piggies. I nearly lost Pumpkin on Tuesday, despite following all advice on keeping guinea pigs cool bringing them inside with shade, cool packs etc he got heatstroke and was non responsive. The others are fine, Pumpkin is now fine, but I really thought I had lost him, it was a harrowing experience, fortunately he responded quickly to treatment.

I got my indoor piggies a ceramic tile. I never imagined it would be such a hit. One of them lies flat out on it, while the other prefers to use it was a pillow. They've also has ice packs wrapped in socks, which are mainly being used as pillows.

I hope everyone is coping with their piggies. I nearly lost Pumpkin on Tuesday, despite following all advice on keeping guinea pigs cool bringing them inside with shade, cool packs etc he got heatstroke and was non responsive. The others are fine, Pumpkin is now fine, but I really thought I had lost him, it was a harrowing experience, fortunately he responded quickly to treatment.
Aww bless him glad he's feeling better now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back