Trying Again Tomorrow!.......

I have heard boars who have been with sows are very very difficult to bond with boars (I won't say impossible, there's always exceptions). I think this is Ducky's problem, he came from a rescue via a breeder.
If you got Herbie neutered to live with a sow you wouldn't be able to keep them near your pair as a sow could cause them to fall out. This is why I didn't get my younger boars neutered as I also have a pair and no room to keep them in another room.

I would like to try and get at least Bramble another friend, at some point. He used to live fine with his brother until he died, though Bramble was always the 'underpig' with his brother, who was dominant but fair.

I don't believe Herbie has ever lived with another pig and maybe he does only like females, but that would mean that we'd have to get him neutered and that is a big risk with anesthetic. Also, at the moment, we don't have the room.

I’ve just had a thought - you say herbie same from a breeder. Do you know if he was actually used for breeding at all? I’m guessing not if he isn’t ‘right’ as a Californian. It’s just that any male who was used for breeding is highly unlikely to ever accept male companionship.

Neutering generally is a safe operation however herbie being neutered and living with sows and bramble living with a male companion is likely to cause problems for bramble/companion.
This is because bonded boars should not be around sows as sow pheromones can cause two boars to fight and fall out.

If you wanted them both to have companions, then it would best to neuter them both and then each has their own sow.

EDIT - was typing that as Piggieminder posted!

If you can't do the nails yourself there's no shame in getting it done at the vets. For multiple reasons I take my boys.
If he doesn't like head strokes (headbutting you), will he let you give him a chin rub? If you find the "sweet spot" some piggies (Mischievous Master Boris) can be almost hypnotised by this.
I would if I could afford to, plus it would cause them a lot of stress.

I’ve just had a thought - you say herbie same from a breeder. Do you know if he was actually used for breeding at all? I’m guessing not if he isn’t ‘right’ as a Californian. It’s just that any male who was used for breeding is highly unlikely to ever accept male companionship.

Neutering generally is a safe operation however herbie being neutered and living with sows and bramble living with a male companion is likely to cause problems for bramble/companion.
This is because bonded boars should not be around sows as sow pheromones can cause two boars to fight and fall out.

If you wanted them both to have companions, then it would best to neuter them both and then each has their own sow.

EDIT - was typing that as Piggieminder posted!
I don't think he was used for breeding because of his looks, plus I think he was quite young (And maybe not to be bred from, because he didn't have perfect markings?) when he went into rescue, but I'm not sure.

I thought the anesthetic was dangerous, no matter what the operation?

Otherwise, both the boys having a sow each would be lovely. 🥰 Just know it's going to cost a lot of money though, so don't think we'd be able to do it for a while.

I don't think he was used for breeding because of his looks, plus I think he was quite young (And maybe not to be bred from, because he didn't have perfect markings?) when he went into rescue, but I'm not sure.

I thought the anesthetic was dangerous, no matter what the operation?

Otherwise, both the boys having a sow each would be lovely. 🥰 Just know it's going to cost a lot of money though, so don't think we'd be able to do it for a while.

One of the main factors of the safety of surgery is experience of the vet. Neutering is a pretty easy and quick surgery. No surgery is totally risk free though.
My current boars aren’t neutered - not because of risk of surgery but because I have no intention of having sows.

I have a three decade background of rabbit keeping and due to the high risk of uterine cancer in rabbits, all does are spayed as a matter of routine. All bucks are neutered as a matter of routine due to behavioural and territorial aspects (unneutered bucks can be quite difficult). (Neutering changes the behaviour of rabbits but it doesn’t for piggies).

Back