• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

This is not good!

• Thread starter Thread starter guinea_girl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guinea_girl

I have terrible news and I don't know what to do. My hubby won't let me take him to the vet because of all of the other vet money we spent a few weeks ago and we had to pay gas this week. Lenny is bloated very VERY bad again. This time, he is hugely bloated. The wierdest thing is he runs around and he is eating well and drinking water from his bottle, but when he finishes all of that, he sits puffed up in a corner or in the hiding place with the others. He doesn't have the diarhea anymore. Heck, I don't even know if he is pooping or not. I read on the net that it could mean an intestinal blockage...was this piggy just born sick or what? :'( He is only a couple months old, if that and he is much smaller than my Chester and they were the same size when I bought them.....is there anything else I can try for his bloating?

Oh no that's sad, please try to convince him Lenny has to see a vet this time. Obviously there's a problem and a vet could help. Can you pm Kimmie and ask her advice?
Good luck :-* Come on Lenny hold on mate :smitten:

Have you tried to get some pain relief for him?

I don't know what kind of pain relief to give to him. I don't know what they can or cannot have. :-\ The thing is, is he doesn't seem to be in pain. We got him out a bit ago which was when I noticed his huge belly again after I thought it was all over...and he ran all around our house. He seems and acts fine to me, but he don't look fine. :-\ It doesn't seem like the simethicone is doing any good and I don't know what else to do. I don't like the vet I took him to last time. We don't have any exotic vets near me that I am aware of.

You could try Infacol which is given to babies with with gripe.Give 1 ml twice a day.Wait ten minutes after giving the Infacol then massage his sides,this will help to dispel the gas...in fact you could massage his sides several times a day.The problem is that there are 2 kinds of bloat, one is caused by gas in the colon,the other is caused by fluid.If he has heart/kidney problems the kidney will not be working properly and excess fluid can build up.The treatment for this is Frusimide which can only be got from the vet or a chemist on prescription,but you could try one of the proprietary diuretics.Parsley and dandelion have good diuretic properties as well.You must find out whether the bloat is gas or fluid because giving the wrong treatment will make him worse.I feel that you need to pursuede your husband to let you take him to a vet.If the piggy has kidney problems at this young age it is almost vcertainly genetic.This is so worrying for you,and I wish you luck in sorting it.Do you have Blue Cross or PDSA in your area?,they will treat animals free of charge if the owner is unable to pay. Mary

If you can get him to the vet - talk to them about your money problems -as some will let you pay in installments :)

Good luck :)

I think i would try gripe water fartie artie had bad gas hence his name and he was gvien that and he went down quite quick it could be bloat, but again it could be fluid but gripe water wouldnt do any harm if it is I dont think, its gentle enough for babys try massaging his tum, but as already said he needs to see the vet in case of blockage but i would have thought he would be depressed with pain if it was, try phoning Vedra and asking her advise,

LMBO, Fartie Artie ;D ;D ;D

I just went a long ways to get the gripe water. I will do it and let you all know. If nothing seems to get better, I will try to take him tomorrow so my sis can watch my kids.

Okay, I got some shots of him a minute ago. See if you can tell what I am talking about. See how on this first one the back end of him is much smaller that his gut? It is hard too.

fourwheeler038.jpg

fourwheeler039.jpg

fourwheeler040.jpg

Hey, my MIL told me that her brother was a vet and he lives near Alabama and he does any type of animal, so I called his office a minute ago and he wasn't in office, but the lady is going to get him to call me back in the morning. I may see if my MIL has his home number so I can call him at home.

I looked at the website posted above and it made me feel worse....thinking that he may get worse and that there is nothing you can do after trying what it mentioned. I won't give up that easily. I am awaiting a phone call from the vet. It should be any time today. Lenny is worse, I am sorry to say but his belly is huge. I don't think he is pooping anymore, but not certain. He gained 2 ounces in just a few days as if everything he is eating is just staying inside of him. I think it is that blockage. He is still eating well and drinking well and when he is out, he is still running around like crazy, so he is not appearing to be hurting badly or I don't think he would be doing all the running around like he does. Not sure though. I will post back when I hear from the vet anytime now.

Finally he called me just a minute ago. He says what Lenny most likely needs is an "anima" (not sure how to spell it) but he said its using a bulb and warm soapy water and putting it in his bottom to make it lubricate everything and make him go. He told me to put Lenny by himself to make sure he is going. Anyone ever did this before? He says I could do it if I could handle it. :embarassed: So I guess I will give it a try.

OK well this will be a bit messy, i've never done it. I'm sure someone will have some good advice for you real soon.
Yep enema's are to 'clean' you out, you have them when you are about to go in for operations also :P
Give it a go, you can't hurt him, and if this helps you'll have a happy little boy :)
Good luck be ready for a pong :o
For Lenny to help him :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Sweetheart I really feel for you and know that you are trying really hard to help your little one, but sick uncomfortable animals really should see a vet

I know that money is an issue but I'm sure any vet would rather treat a sick animal and discuss a payment plan than turn you away.
Thats what they became vets for.

I can't beleive a vet suggested you try an enema! Surely thats not good is it?

Yes I know you are trying to help piggy in a very difficult situation,but please ,please,do not try and give an enema,this could be very dangerous and I do not think that in this case it will help.It is important to have an x ray done,because there is almost vcertainly some kind of blockage in the gut,and thisd could get very painful for him.It is possible he has a condition called gastric torsion which is very serious.I cannot think that any vet would refuse to help in the circumstances.Surely they could let you pay what you can afford every month?. Just get to a vet asap I do not think they will turn you away. Good luck Mary

I am going to take him to the vet soon. I will speak back to my husband about it today. I am having to work in the ofice downstairs today until 4:30 my time, but I will see if they are open on weekends. he is still very bloated.

I think after work today would be better if you can get an emergency appointment.

It sounds like he is in a lot of discomfort and has been for enough time for there to be something wrong that requires a vet.

It is simply not fair to keep him in suffering like this.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh

IF you do not have gripe water then give him 1ml of olive oil to help with gas and gut stasis....

Do you know his weight? If he's under 3lb, use 0.3ml of gripe water and as others have said, massage his sides. Follow it up again tomorrow...

Good Luck!

Beks, I have been using the gripe water and I massage his sides every day. Nothing has worked. He still is eating, drinking lots of water and runs about just fine. He is just big around. The vet is open tomorrow but the guinea pig doctor won't be there, only today, so I will see what I can do.

Hey Everyone! I just came up for lunch and checked on Lenny and there were these HUGE poops right near him and I picked him up and put my fingers around his belly and I could tell it went down quite a bit! :) It wasn't hard anymore, just still big some, and while I had him up, he pooped another huge poop, so I knew then that those were in fact his poops! ;D Maybe what i did last night is helping!! O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back