• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

theres something wrong with merlins poos

• Thread starter Thread starter Lez
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lez

I'm hoping hes just not reacted well to a veggie ive given him. he looks perfectly fine and is still charging around his cage. but i just got up and as i was feeding them all noticed that his poos are very dark in colour and a lot softer than usual (but not runny) and are clumped together. he usually poos a lot anyway but not like this :o

he drinks loads of water, and yesterday he was fed celery, cabbage, and cucumber

any ideas?

ill monitor him throughout the day to make sure he doesnt get worse/he improves, and if not ill get him booked in at the new competent vet i found

It's probably something he's eaten.
I wouldn;t worry too much about it, just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get worse.

hope so, ill definately be watching him today.

forgot to say checked him over and he does have a bit of a runnny bum

Yes, keep an eye and maybe withold veg for today, just plenty of hay and pellets and see from there. If it gets any worse, I would pop him down to the vets :)

Has he had cabbage before? I've heard that cabbage can sometimes do funny things to their tummys. Mine are all fine on it but some people have noticed the same thing as you. maybe cut out the cabbage or give less of it?

Yeah sounds like some thing he ate I would cut out veggies just to see if there is improvement hopefully there will be, let us know O0

ive not given him any veggies today and he has plenty of hay and readygrass

he has had cabbage before it is his favorite food. I'm wondering if the cucumber did it. as he doesnt usualy eat much cucumber as he didnt seem keen but yesterday he ate the lot?

good good. he is munching away on readigrass at the min. i just finished his fungal treatment it had to be done today as it has been left in his hair/skin and today was the final day, so he is at least looking happier now his hair is clean and fluffy again. I'm hoping all the hay hes munching will help settle him. hes not drinking as much though but I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing considering ?

some piggies do not drink much water due to the water content of the veg. Cucumber has a high water content and this could be the cause of his poop.
" of my girls and 2 of my boys do not drink water even though it is available at all times.

merlin usually drinks well over half a bottle of water a day ? hes a very thirsty piggy. today he has drunk nowhere near that

I'm sure he'll be drinking more water later after all the hay he's munching on!
Glad his skin is a lot better, he's come a long way compared to when you first got him :smitten:

thank you :smitten: i cant believe how much he has changed too he is a completely different piggy!

i am still going to keep up with the treatment once a week for the next 2 weeks i think just to make sure he is fully recovered, and his hair is starting to grow back now. I'm putting piccies up in a min (as usual!) :smitten:

with regards to the poop if he is not better tomorrow ill book him in at the vets, but i am thinking it was the cucumber now.

He'll be fine by tomorrow I'm sure, it happened with one of mine the other week so I just cut out the cucumber and she was back to normal the next day.
Can't wait to see piccies!

yeah my house mates pig was like it the other week after a little bit of cherry tomato. wierd how different pigs react to different food 98)

I give my piggy loads of veggies (parsley, celery, green peppers and little carrots) and his poos are always a very, very dark brown. Almost black! So it could be the food. As per the doctors order, I've stopped carrots (not completely) and his poos are getting lighter! Could be anything. I wouldn't worry to much. Although, if it's loose (like diearreah) then it would be a problem...good luck with your piggie!

yup its like dhiorrea but not quite. he has a runny bum, but the poops are coming out soft and clumpy

Bon Bon said:
He'll be fine by tomorrow I'm sure, it happened with one of mine the other week so I just cut out the cucumber and she was back to normal the next day.
Can't wait to see piccies!

Pictures of poop? ;D ;D ;D

its not a nice sight beleve me ;D ;D i think ill spare you all from poop piccies ;D

at least it doesnt smell, so it could be worse ;D

veg is already cut out O0

he was put on a different food when i first got him, as the pet shop didnt tell me what he was on, but its not caused a problem so far?

I wouldn't know if a change in his dry food would cause him a stomach upset, some people say do it gradually and others say just swap them over so I don't know :-\

I have just grabbed my Piggy Potions book by Peter Gurney

it says if his coat has fluffed up, keep him warm, clean him, isolate him and see a vet.

If he does not have a fluffed up coat, you can give him some human diocalm half a tablet every 8 hours OR
Imodium 0.4ml day and night until poop returns to normal or 3 days max.

I have not tried any of the above but PG states they have all been tried and tested.

According to Pig Lopaedia it is most probably due to his food, they state only give him hay and water and may be a small piece of cucumber for 3 to 5 days. When his stools are more normal gradual introduction of food items can be made.

although i think cucumber is probably not the best veg to give him just in case that was what caused it....

I'm going to clean his cage out again tonight (was only done last night ::)) to make sure he is nice and clean he hasnt really touched his dry food anyway, hes just eating a lot of hay and hes sleeping now

hoping so O0 it probably will. if not ill go get him some pro-biotics from the vet

Try a probiotic such as Bio-Lapis and give some rehydration fluid ,little and often through the day.I find that this will often sort out soft droppings.I would not resort to Diacalm,lomital etc, unless the soft pellets turn to proper diarrheoa.As there is no smell it is unlikely to be infection,and probably just something he has eaten.Make sure he eats plenty of hay and dry grass.I woulld not withhold all veg,but cut out greens.A little carrot,corn is o.k.

Hope he gets better soon. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back