- Use of the denning area

4 My Family and I
- Family wiring

- Changes that have come with domestication
- When groups go wrong

5 We and our Neighbours: Group vs. Group
- Keeping up with the neighbours

- ‘Our patch’
- Switching and mingling group scents – yes or no?
- Territorial behaviours

6 Reacting to Changes: The Hierarchy Sort-out
- What can trigger a new hierarchy sort-out?

- What can I do to mitigate the impact?
7 We, the Boars
- ‘Bachelors’ and ‘Husboars'

- How does natural behaviour transfer to a pet setting?
- Pet boars – the big losers
- A look at the neutering situation
- A warm word for boars
- Practical tips for improving boar bond stability

Conclusion

This article series has been published in Guinea Pig Magazine issues 63-70 in 2021-2022.
It is property of Guinea Pig Magazine and is being shared on this forum with permission of the magazine.

The Herd, the Group and I:
Investigating Guinea Pig Identity and Society

Introduction
There is still as yet very little research into guinea pigs compared to other domesticated species. What there is focuses mainly on the various wild guinea pig species in South America (one of which, Cavia tschudii or montane guinea pig, is the still existing ancestor species of our long domesticated pet guinea pigs), on genetic and biological research focussing mainly on the differences between wild and domestic guinea pigs and - in a study in Germany - on natural behaviour in a large group of domestic guinea pigs without human intervention.

But there is as yet no research whatsoever that looks at how their social species wiring is working in a pet situation and how it does manifest in daily life. In this article series I am trying to take a look at what makes our pet piggies tick, where species wiring comes into conflict with a pet situation and how we can make better use of this deeper species understanding in order to work with rather than against their inherited social instincts, so there is a very practical application to my journey through guinea pig society and its various - and sometimes rather surprising - aspects.

I hope that you will enjoy the ride not exactly into the unknown but into looking at our pet guinea pigs from a totally different angle - not at how we can make them fit with our human concepts of what guinea pigs should be but at how guinea pigs continue to adapt and make their own tens of thousands of years old wild and their several thousands of years old domesticated inheritance work in yet another very new environment - that of being a human pet.

1708028380993.jpeg

1 A Look at Social Identity

We have all come across very specific ‘dos’ and ‘don’ts’ when it comes to guinea pig - like that you can’t just stick a new guinea pig into their future mate’s cage for bonding. Instead they have to meet on neutral ground outside the cage, ideally over a heap of hay or some fresh dog pee-free grass.
But why are these rules so important and why are they often confusing and contradictory when you stop to think about them?

In this and the following instalments, I want to try to get a bit more at the why ginuea pigs tick they the way they do and why these rules work, even if they sometimes seem counterintuitive to us.

The Tribe years with my large group adventure have given me an insight into how a group works over more than just one generation and how varied and complex the dynamic within a group can be.
In recent years I have ended up with mostly pairs living alongside each other with interaction through the bars after having a few medium-sized groups in the wake of splitting up the dysfunctional large Tribe group. This has given me some equally fascinating but very different experiences of another facet of guinea pig social life.
We generally very much underestimate just how much of their species behaviour is actually still very much present in our pet guinea pigs. A closer look at how we humans can mess around with guinea pigs and what consequences this has for them will however have to wait for another article series next year.

Identity and Self-awareness
It is actually great to see that science is starting to move away from a human-centric definition of intelligence and from human-centric measuring standards of self-awareness. So far, we have only accepted a few animals that can recognise themselves by sight as truly intelligent. But what about animals that do not mainly identify themselves and others by sight alone because their other senses are a lot stronger and more important to their perception?

IMG_4652_edited-3.jpg

Guinea pigs will find a mirror interesting for a very short time. While the piggy in it is moving and behaving like a piggy, it lacks some crucial identifying elements, like scent, touch, sounds and also the appropriate answers to any body language displayed to fool any piggy for long. The most important identifier, scent, is entirely absent.
Until we can come up with a method that allows a piggy to identify others and themselves by sniffing scents and display a difference in behaviour when smelling their own scent, we cannot yet answer the question as to whether they can identify themselves. But I would think that more research into this area in the coming years will show – as so often – that we humans are not quite as special and unique as we may have thought for too long.

IMG_8281_edited-1.jpg

Guinea pigs are well aware of themselves: how they smell, sound and look in the places they can they can see of their own bodies (which is actually a fair bit despite their compact build).
They are also very much aware of their companions and can be empathetic. Most of us have witnessed instances. Empathetic behaviour requires a fair degree of self-awareness to recognise feelings or changes in behaviour (and scent!) in others. You cannot console a friend or express your love and your delight to be with somebody, and do it mutually if one or both of you weren’t aware of the other’s feelings and their understanding of yours. Guinea pigs have certainly got that in spades.

Their social behaviour is actually rather more differentiated and much more complex than most people assume. The more we humans learn about other species, the more we will have to revise long-held ideas and opinions.
I do however not want to go into the ongoing research on guinea pigs as a species but want to look at this field more from a practical owner perspective to gain more understanding of everyday behaviours we see at home with our own guinea pigs.

Herd and Group: Juggling social identities
Where it gets very really interesting is when you start wondering what kind of passport a piggy would carry. ‘The group’, most would answer instinctively, but is it really that clear-cut?

IMG_5692_edited-1.jpg

Guinea pigs will normally live in core groups of sows with a boar of their choice, bringing up their pups amongst them. The sows are often likely closely related; the boar is ideally not. While wild guinea pig species have a distinct breeding season starting in spring and lasting into autumn, allowing for 3-4 litters, domesticated guinea pigs (from which our pets derive) can be nonstop pregnant.

But the boar owners amongst you may have noticed or been worried at times about the rise in hormones and altercations in your boar pairs in spring, even in adult ones – no, you are not imagining anything! The old biological urges and instincts signalling the start of the new breeding season and the pressure of becoming a ‘husboar’ living with sows and fathering their own babies are still there, if comparatively muted. The competition can be quite tough because so much hinges on it – not least a vastly improved social standing and survival chance.

And that brings me to the second social identity, the herd. You may have come across larger groups of guinea pigs being described as a ‘herd’, certainly all those sows from the massive NorCal rescue at Los Angeles Guinea Pig Rescue when they had to accommodate over 400 mostly pregnant sows in a massive emergency rescue.

But what is the ‘herd’ actually and what role does it play in the social life of guinea pigs? The little groups of the wild ancestor species of guinea pigs are actually not living far apart from each other, each group within a territory that supplies their needs having a refuge in the dense undergrowth, often in the form of a tunnel in the vegetation that provides good insulation from the notorious extremes of the South American weather.
Instead, the wild ancestor species of our guinea pigs live in a kind of colony with several groups having their dens somewhat distanced from each other but close enough that they can move together as a herd to their shared feeding ground along little paths on the ground and back, twice a day in the mornings and evenings at a time when temperatures are at their most moderate and day or night predators are changing guard.

Recent research in Germany with allowing a herd of guinea pigs to live naturally and unhindered by human interference has shown that those herd feeding grounds can actually be a fair distance from the denning area; as far as a mile – which is a lot more than expected.

This ability of being able to both function within a small, closely knit group but also in a larger herd makes guinea pig social life a lot more complex and fascinating; especially areas of social interaction where group and herd interests and behaviours collide. But many of our ‘guinea pig rules’, which we know work by practice, will start to make much more sense when we are looking at them on the background of the different levels guinea pigs are able to operate on.

Coming back to the question of social identity, guinea pigs have actually a dual nationality – they are part of a herd (a wider association of groups living in the same area) and at the same time part of a group within the herd. So the search for a suitable mass noun for guinea pigs has just got a lot more complicated!

For more information on species and biological aspects: Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview
Guinea pig development throughout their lives from birth to death: Journey through a Lifetime: The Ages of Guinea Pigs

2 Herd Behaviours

On the move

Guinea pig groups move from their various dens to their feeding grounds twice a day around dawn and dusk as a herd along established paths in the underground; there is safety in numbers when away from their denning area. They do this in single file, usually with the group leader or a very experienced group elder in the lead and with another experienced group member keeping an eye on stragglers.

Piggy train in 2009.jpg
The Tribe 'train' on the move
We can make use of this “Move on” gentle bum nudge when we have to chivvy a piggy into a conveyance of some sort for weighing or transport.
Trudging after an unwilling free-roaming returner at their own walking speed until they fetch up in a corner sooner or later where I can scoop them up is another useful way you can avoid triggering prey animal flight instincts. I do get some protest and a dirty look, but no panic!
I found it highly amusing to watch my recently bereaved lady Dizzy putting her newly rescue dated rather confused ‘young husboar’ Llewelyn firmly in the lead and making it very clear that he was to lead by constantly pushing him on with nudges to the bum whenever he stopped. While Dizzy made it her mission to teach Llewelyn piggy manners, she very much preferred to be a classic backseat drier. Llewelyn thankfully got the hang of it quickly and in time grew to become the first Tribe patriarch after Dizzy’s passing.

1708008056809.jpeg
Dizzy following young Llewelyn

In order to stay in contact, they have a special chunter whenever they are in motion. This also serves as a constant status update for the individuals (“I am on the move and am fine.”) but also as a general reassurance that everything is OK. It is not surprising that youngsters up to 6 months are constantly chattering away unless they are fast asleep; the peak of the chattering volume is around 4 months of age during the transition from pupil to teenager when the youngsters at the highest risk of predation and accidents as they are spreading their wings but still lack vital, potentially life-saving experience. A sudden squeak or silence will usually alert the group on the march of a dangerous situation in case a youngster exploring the herd territory is getting into trouble.

IMG_5888-1.JPG
Blind Mali following partially sighted Tegyd

Guinea pigs have a very strong instinct fear of open areas where they are at high risk of predation from the air as well as from larger predators on the ground.
That is why it is very useful to place a blanket or sheet over the top of the cage or at least a good part of it when you are dealing with newly arrived skittish guinea pigs in the first days until they are confidently moving around and have settled in more.

1708007789989.jpeg1708007935816.jpeg
Adventurous Ffion is welcomed back home after a foray into the kitchen

In order to survive, young guinea pigs need to build up a mental map of the herd territory so they know at all times where they are and where they are going when pursued by a predator. Our domestic guinea pigs don’t need the brain storage space for this extensive mapping as their territory is smaller; instead they have slightly smaller brains that are more geared towards problem solving in a more complex human environment.
But our domestic guinea pigs still very much orient themselves by scent and follow scent spoors/scent marking areas; especially on the time shared free-roaming area; the stronger the scent, the safer the territory.
Any area without a guinea pig scent is very much a no go area, explored only by a few audacious piggies. However, if one such pioneer has found a new source of food and returns hale and happy a few times, his group and then others may follow.

1708008142866.jpeg
Blind Mischief free-roaming in the garden with her mate Mix (only under my supervision)

It has been fascinating to watch various generations of Tribe piggies explore the house and the enclosed garden (always under supervision), especially my intrepid stair climbing Minx and my sadly short-lived Ffion, as well as Mischief, who lost her sight rather quickly due to congenital cataracts and needed to completely rebuild her mental road map of the garden and house using her other senses.
Seeing blind Mali follow the scent spoor of my exploring Triplet babies across the hall into the kitchen while the rest of the several piggy groups I had at the time would confine themselves to the lounge as their herd territory was one of these moments that have led me to consider more deeply how guinea pigs move around but also how important scent marking and scent spoors are for them.

Wiping their own scent over any new area instinctively makes it feel ‘safe’ for your guinea pigs and helps especially with settling in or extending their range.

Shared herd feeding
Guinea pigs are wired to eat together in larger numbers on neutral ground that is not part of their group denning area.

‘Sprinkle feeding’ by sprinkling pellets and fresh food or dried forage all over the cage or exercise run is an enrichment that encourages this natural behaviour and stimulates the senses. It also helps very much with minimising food bullying over bowls and avoids the problem of bowls being used as toilets.
It also encourages the guinea pigs to eat as much hay as possible in the meantime, which the mainstay of the diet and crucial for long term health and a longer life span. Never serve more food than a piggy can eat in a day (or half a day) in order to keep spoilage and vermin down. Please keep in mind that veg/fresh herbs, pellets and dry forage all take up the role of the wild forage with which naturally roaming guinea pigs supplement their overwhelmingly hay/fresh grass based diet.

1708008025059.jpeg
Bonding on a fleece underneath the kitchen table

However, the most obvious application of this herd behaviour is the way we set up a bonding area outside any normal scent-marked living quarters. I usually use a lawn run in the kitchen or in suitable conditions outside on the lawn. The bonding area should either be scent-free or contain the mingled scent of a herd but never a specific group scent (most especially not exclusively that of one of the parties involved in the bonding), whether this is a single piggy, a pair or a larger group in order to avoid triggering territorial behaviours .

1708008085789.jpeg
Group rest in the bonding pen in the kitchen after initial acceptance but before the fail during the hierarchy establishment phase

Starting the bonding process over a pile of hay in the middle of the pen or on the lawn invokes the herd situation and helps to create a social reference frame for your guinea pigs. It is also important that you don’t have any piggy furniture in the pen that could trigger territorial behaviour; rather peg a blanket or sheet over the top or a good part of the bonding pen instead.

While this setting is no guarantee for a successful bonding process, you are mimicking natural behaviour and are allowing your guinea pigs to follow their instincts as they progress from a herd setting to establishing a new group. Adding some fresh hay or freshly picked grass can occasionally help diffuse a somewhat tense situation but the piggies still have to work through the whole complex process which happens in rounds with resting or shared munching intervals in between from the initial getting to know each other and acceptance to establishing the leader and then gradually creating working group hierarchy from the top down. If at all possible, should you move piggies into their new home only once they have hammered out the rough shape of their new group; even if you have to leave them in the bonding pen overnight if things are heading in the right direction without any major aggression but have not yet moved on far enough). The introduction on neutral ground is followed by the ca. two weeks it takes to fully settle and establish the new group in its territory; the post-intro dominance phase also comes into play whenever guinea pigs are moved to a new home or cage.
It is important to know that your guinea pigs have to come to an agreement at every stage as to whether they still want to continue or whether they cannot reach an agreement – that part is entirely down to the personality match and the evolving dynamics between the guinea pigs, and is completely out of your control.

1708008121014.jpeg
A proud Maelog is guarding his new wives at the end of a successful bonding on the lawn

For a detailed step-by-step guide with pictures and videos through the whole bonding process from the run up to the end of the post-intro dominance phase a fortnight later, see this forum link here: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

3 The Group and I

This time I want to look at some aspects of group life that underpin the social interaction.

Group identity vs. individual identity
How we introduce ourselves says a lot about social identity, so let us have a look at how a guinea pig would introduce themselves to find out where they identify strongest – whether as an individual or as a group member. In fact, a guinea pig would always put their group name first and their individual name second – very much like the Chinese or Japanese custom.

In their specific area, the individual scents all mingle to create a very distinct group territory which is regularly scent marked. The boar scent will be strongest but all sows contribute. Because our sense of smell is much weaker and our natural body scent is being very much suppressed or eradicated in our own daily life, we very much underestimate its importance in guinea pig life.

But unlike the Chinese, guinea pigs do change the surname/group identity they are born with whenever they jump family. They will very much identify with their new group because it is at the very core of their social existence. They are always first and foremost a member of a group; especially when dealing with outsiders.

All guinea pigs will greet a newcomer to the herd and they may shortly flirt through the bars with a neighbour but they will then go and hang out with their own group as the place where they belong.

1708009735794.jpeg
Tribe patriarch Hywel is keeping an eye on his foraging wives from the hay corner

Group establishment and affirmation
Any group of whatever size must have a leader. Introductions very often fail over piggies not coming to an agreement over which one should be it. The more obvious cases happen during the introduction itself but near misses often develop slowly as fronts gradually harden during the post-intro ca. two weeks dominance phase in which the fine points of the hierarchy and group are hammered out and the exact hierarchy ladder is fully established and reaffirmed.

The same process, i.e. the re-establishment and affirmation of the hierarchy also happens after every move to a new home or even after a major cage extension. At the very extreme with very hormonal teenage boars, this can even include a cage clean. In these cases, it really helps to wipe the new/cleaned territory down with a soft rag that has been previous wiped over the scent-marked previous cage or to not clean the cage and its furnishings at the same time so the group scent is always present and can prevent potential fall-outs even in adult bonded pairs where there are underlying rifts.

Sadly, the dominance phase (hierarchy establishment/re-establishment phase) and its close ties with the group scent are sadly still often unknown or overlooked because most people think that a bonding is just a quick several hours’ process and that it never has to be repeated.

The good news is that you need not worry if you don’t know who the leader is – because in this case it doesn’t matter much to the piggies, either. Not every group is very confrontational but observing the hierarchy by always dealing with the leader first in all respects where a position is jealously guarded can help to minimise subsequent dominance behaviour against companions that have received perceived preferential treatment.

A change of leadership can at the best happen near unnoticed with minimal fuss if a beloved leader is no longer quite up to the job and the second in command takes over more and more of the tasks or it can be open warfare in the case of a hostile takeover.
In latter case, the previous leader will be pushed to the bottom of the hierarchy and may even end up being bullied. The same can also happen with a failed leadership bid, as it did in the case of my Caron. The deposed/failed leader does not have the option to move away unless you conduct a trial separation to work out whether the piggy in question is happier away from their group or still wants to be with them.

A leader by default rather by choice may take more time to accept their role and can exhibit stronger or even over the top fear-aggressive dominance behaviours while they are still insecure in their new role; usually a pet shop baby looking for guidance of an elder and feeling ill equipped to lead their own group or a companion after the rather sudden death of a strong group leader in a pair or group.

1708009639627.jpeg
As the Tribe grew, the denning area started to expand

Use of the denning area

Especially in larger groups, you won’t necessarily be able to spot the exact hierarchy. Stronger seasons can give a hint since any sow will usually mount the one ranked just below her; lacking that option, it will be the sow just ranked above. Even the usually not very pleased ‘husboar’ may be mounted in the hours before a sow is ready for sexual mating for just a few hours if they are ranked just above or below.

1708009625126.jpeg
'The curse of fresh bedding' strikes: Group rest in the freshly cleaned cage

But the hierarchy can also become evident in the use of the denning area. As my big Tribe group grew in numbers and the cage area gradually expanded and became a more complex set of rooms, it was very interesting to observe who was using which part of the cage and who was hanging out and sleeping together.

What I have found is that the safest place is generally the preferred area for the top council of a group – the leading sow, her deputy, a more highly ranked ‘husboar’ with leadership qualities and other senior sows in a larger group. They all play their role in leading and keeping the group together not just physically but also in terms of social coherence. Leadership decisions can mean the survival or fail of the whole group in an extreme situation and their knowledge can be crucial for the long term existence of the group. The top piggies also have first access and choice of any food. Again, prioritising them is not just privilege but an insurance of longer term group survival.

Middle-ranked adult sows will often take over the job of keeping an eye on the access to the denning area and often sleep nearest to the entrance; they do this in turn. The minor and younger members will have to find their own sleeping nooks and crannies in the rest of the space.

1708009678716.jpeg
Middle-ranked Ceri sleeps in the entrance of the cage

Nursing mothers with pups that can keep up with the daily group movement not very long after they are born enjoy a special protected status and will have the whole group helping to keep an eye on the babies; other lactating sows with allow their companions’ babies to suckle and or may even start to lactate in observed cases. However, you cannot count on another sow’s orphans to be accepted by just any other sow; especially not a stranger.

At around 4 weeks of age, babies are considered weaned in social terms and are emphatically put at the bottom of the group hierarchy as full members while the mother returns to her old status. In pet pairs where the under-sow has had unplanned babies a temporary separation or the withdrawal of her protected special status against the regular hierarchy can unfortunately lead to fall-outs when the mother is not willing to give up her rise in leadership through her babies and go back to being submissive again.

1708009704053.jpeg
Each piggy in their favourite cranny

Many people have the mistaken belief that guinea pigs will all sleep in a big huddle. That is not the case. Closely bonded piggies may do so at least for part of the night but they will also sleep apart at other times if they have the option. Lots of nooks and crannies in close proximity are actually closer to how guinea pigs are wired to sleep.

1708009754219.jpeg
The tighter the squeeze the better

Pet piggies sleep out in the open only if they are feeling very secure and confident in their surroundings. A hut for every group member as well as a covered area for snuggling up gives your piggies the kind of natural choice between having their own little bedroom or between sleeping close to each other. But always make sure that any huts have ideally two exits because ousting a lower-ranked group member from a choice spot is part and parcel of group social life; the second exit helps to minimise bullying or fighting situations. This can make a real difference during any dominance phase as well as minimise a major fighting flash point during teenage if an under-boar is being cornered in a hut and sees his only escape in a biting defence attack in order to break free.

1708009800995.jpeg
The next Tribe denning area at the other end of the room offering both communal and single sleeping areas

4 My Family and I

In this instalment, I am tackling the Family Myth with a look at instinctive wiring but also its limits and what happens when groups go wrong.

Family wiring
Sows in a group are usually quite closely related. The new influx of genetic material comes from the boar the sows will associate with. In my own experience, there is a group hierarchy which includes the boar wherever he can punch his weight but then there is also a distinct sow hierarchy. A boar may try to act as a peacemaker but very often he keeps well out of any issues that pertain to conflict between sows and their standing and will not interfere.

1708011334031.jpeg
The long-haired Tribe half after the split contained my peruvian family group with auntie Ffwlbri, mother Tesni and her daughter Tegan

Guinea pig sows are generally not fussy about whose babies they let suckle and they tend to bring up the babies between them as long as they are not separated due to risk of a miscarriage or because of aggression from the mother or mother-to-be. Sows in a group can club together to bring up orphans together with their own babies.

Lactating sows and nursing babies enjoy a special protected status that temporarily suspends the established hierarchy but it can cause problems once that status is withdrawn and a separated mother is not willing to return into her submissive role now that she has had a taste of leadership as the leader of her own little family group. Since several important aspects playing into this scenario, there is no one single ideal solution. In a pet cage situation with an unplanned pet shop or backyard breeder pregnancy, you have to play this by ear.

The long pregnancies and the comparatively small litters of precocious babies (i.e. babies that have a chance to survive without their mother and keep up with the group soon after birth) mean that a lot of energy has gone into those litters and that the babies are a very precious resource. For long term survival, predation and baby numbers need to roughly balance out. Wild guinea pig species have a distinctive breeding season with 3-4 pregnancies between Spring and Autumn when the supply of their main source, fresh growing grass that is high in vitamin C is abundant. They live generally small groups of 2-3 sows living with a boar.
The surviving sub-teenage daughters from previous earlier births in the same breeding season would still mostly stick close to their mother but would be quite busy ensuring that their advantaged ranking in the hierarchy due to being older and a little larger would not be in question; so in between the fight for milk from just two nipples in larger litters and the quick succession of several litters, there is a certain element of rivalry inbuilt right from the start, which becomes all the fiercer in bad years (the South American climate is notoriously variable) or in modern neglect breeding situations (often referred to as ‘hoarding’).
Daughters from early litters may already give birth themselves before the season is over but most of the newly born daughters will have to wait until the next year before they have their own offspring. This gives them time to grow and build up their own bodily resources over the winter months.

Between predation and a rather high death rate in both mothers and babies, there is a fairly high turnover in the generally small family groups. More ambitious younger sows may look for their own boar to found a new group in a space that has fallen empty or push the herd perimeter further out in several good years in a row. Life expectancy in wild guinea pigs is around 3 years although individuals can live up to 8 years.

Changes that have come with domestication
With the domestication of wild guinea pigs 6000-3000 years ago, some things have changed due to the more constant year round reliable food supply and better protection as a valued protein source and the role of guinea pigs as a key food in the huge communal and especially intercommunal religious and peace promoting feasts in the Peruvian Andes region that have their roots way deep in our human history.

1708013134743.jpeg
The Tribe in its heyday

Regular access to food has meant that domestic guinea pigs can breed at any time. Groups can be larger and stable for longer. Genetic variations in the normal agouti coloured coats were actively encouraged with the red dutch breed markers (red splodges over the eye and ear areas and the back end) the favourite and the earliest documented breed. However, black guinea pigs with buff/cream random markings also feature together with red dutches in pictures of the 16th- 18th centuries once guinea pigs started being brought back from South America to Europe by sailors. You can occasionally spot them as an exotic new animal in a corner somewhere in the foreground of a grand painting with a mythological theme or in a popular still life picture enriched with animals; but you generally need to look very closely!

The increasing diversification in coat colours and breeds has meant that looks have become another important identifying element apart from the group smell to distinguish ‘family’. It is easier for a guinea pig to identify themselves as a related in some way to a piggy that looks very similar to them although guinea pigs of all breeds can live together peacefully.
There is quite a pronounced leaning in our pet guinea pigs towards others that look ‘familiar’. Newly introduced youngsters will generally try to attach themselves to an older guinea pig as their teacher-guardian who looks the most similar, for instance. Or it can help with re-bonding a bereaved guinea pig with fear-aggression issues; but in either case it is not a fail-safe solution since personality compatibility is ultimately much more important than looks.

1708011292046.jpeg
The look-alike but mostly unrelated short-haired half of the Tribe (only Hedydd and Heulwen are sisters or half-sisters)

The same goes also for the myth that siblings and related guinea pigs won’t fall out. Being related can be a bit of a head start but not a safe-guard because if the personalities don’t match, then any family bonds or perceived family bonds won’t be any help whatsoever; whether you are dealing with hormonal teenage boars with strong personalities, teenage sisters squabbling over dominance or adult/older sows deciding suddenly that a their sister they have been with since birth is no longer a welcome part of their group (can occasionally happen because of ovarian cysts or a medical separation).A cage move and subsequent group re-establishment can also cause a fall-out.
Once piggies have made up their minds on who they want to be part of the group they are leading, they won’t change it. Even if their new group is essentially a group of one – with them as the only member.

When groups go wrong
Comparable to the variety in human families and sibling relationships, not all guinea pigs are getting on equally well. Depending on conditions where they were born, there can be quite a strong sibling rivalry; especially during the teenage months – not just in boar pairs but also in sows. I have several sow pairs that have been ultimately happier living apart with their own personality matched companion.
Some of my sibling pairs or trios were right at the limit of what was tolerable for weeks on end during their teenage but they have thankfully often settled back down as adults and then shared a life-long enduring bond.
In my own experience, mother – daughter pairs are actually often the more stable because their relationship lacks the element of rivalry. However, like with everything to do with guinea pigs, there are always exceptions to any rule!

1708011265546.jpeg
A case of mistaken family identity: The only Tribe member Nesta never squabbled with and accepted her leader was unrelated 'auntie' Nerys, who she lived with after the Tribe split

Sow groups in pet settings (related or not) can essentially be any size; with or without a neutered ‘husboar’. In larger groups, sows will often hang out with those they get on best or those that give them more of a feeling of being a family group (real or perceived).
When my Tribe fell apart, it did so along ‘family’ lines with my leading (real) peru family group staying together with the dominant husboar while the mainly (mostly unrelated) ginger short-haired under-sows formed a new, actually much more harmonious middle-sized group with their own husboar. My two unrelated but very similar looking teddy sows Nerys and Nesta decided that they were family. Nerys was the only piggy that Nesta never squabbled with. After Nerys’s death, I tried my best to find as much of a lookalike for my spayed Nesta; but while she didn’t tolerate shy and very skittish Nosgan in her personal space, she was happy with him and his young happy-go-lucky side-kick Nye as neighbours.

Illness or death of a dominant leader can really upset a group and cause it to break apart; this was essentially the cause of a year of continuous unrest in the Tribe after Ffwlbri’s power grab until I finally called quits with my large Tribe group when none of my measures worked out.
Ironically, even the small peru family group fell apart three years later after Ffwlbri stepped down from her leadership position and neither of the two contending successors showed any sign of giving in and I ended up with two pairs and a single!

1708011038511.jpeg
Unrelated Heini (left) with sisters Llawen and Hapus on the right in happier days

Just picking up two sows out of a group that were getting on alright within that larger frame is also not necessarily a guarantee that they’ll work out as a pair because a group has different dynamics to a pair and the direct confrontation may not work out as well as expected.
Ovarian cysts due to an extended life span in well-kept pet sows can additionally cause problems in especially adult/middle-aged sows and can derail a group on occasion; depending on the situation and the underlying group dynamics. There has never been a biological need for the female hormone output to be turned off – until relatively recently so there is no real instinctive or biological provision for older sows that you can rely on and use to your advantage.
If there are any underlying long term grudges, then they are bound to make an appearance once hormones kick in; sows are masters at holding onto a grudge!

1708011112911.jpeg1708011079338.jpeg
Heini and her unsuccessful lookalike replacement young Heilin

However, the flip-side of sows deciding that they no longer want to live with another piggy and recognise them as a member of their group (it is the leader who usually decides this) is that guinea pigs that have lived together peacefully and have been parted at some point in life without a break-up will usually go back together again with rather little fuss because they remember each other and know where they stand with the other in terms of hierarchy.
I have had two old age pensioner groups for ex-Tribe piggies and they have always worked out smoothly even though the members had been living in different groups for 4-5 years. Guinea pigs have an excellent social memory. The comfort of companionship does sometimes outweigh any social status aspects that have dominated the younger life. While not all old sows and boars will fit into a same sex pensioner group, many rescues have Golden Oldies groups for those piggies that need medical support for the remainder of their lives.
Introducing a totally new companion to an old lady is however a completely different kettle of fish! If you think that boar bonding is difficult, you have obviously never tried to re-bond a rambunctious old lady…

1708011018908.jpeg
Llawen would not accept Heilin after her last companion Heini died

However, most of these rather tricky situations are the result of the way we buy/adopt and keep our pet piggies often rather outside their own social wiring and way longer than they are programmed for by nature. Working out by trial and error the best possible individual solution is not easy. Rescue dating can help (where accessible) but if it is not an option, then having an alternative solution at hand (often a divided cage) is a necessity.

1708010981293.jpeg
But her sister Hapus did, so Llawen went back to living with Hapus's companions (picture: Heilin and Hapus - and their shared 'family look' that became the base for a close, lasting bond)

More information on sow dominance, strong seasons and ovarian cysts:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

What to do when a pair/group is going wrong at some point? (It is a myth that sows cannot fall out): Bonds In Trouble

5 We and Our Neighbours: Group vs Group

In my previous instalments, I have been looking at how the herd and at how a group works – but there is never just one group in a herd: so how do the various groups interact when at home and how do territorial behaviours play into our everyday pet lives?

Keeping up with the neighbours
Knowing what is going on next door is not just important in the case of a predator attack but also for the herd dynamics as a whole.

IMG_0182_edited-1.jpg
We are a herd but we are also our own groups - this Tribe picture of a lawn rest with a full belly says it all

Any major domestic dispute will not just affect the group members but it will spread instantly through the whole herd and upset them all. I’ve had the whole piggy room teeth chattering as a chorus and being highly stressed with their own mates as a result of a situation in one of the groups or an accidental hostile encounter on neutral ground – or the rare cage invasion by another group. A problem with one group or between two groups does indeed affect the whole herd. This also includes the death of a more prominent Tribe member: the whole room will be somewhat subdued for a day or more while one group is grieving. We often underestimate how intensely social guinea pigs are well beyond their own little bonded circle.

One skittish piggy taking exception to something and making a dash for cover can start several days of group stampedes in my piggy room; once the prey animal instincts are woken up, they will take some time settling down again.

My own suspicion is that the greatest behavioural mystery of all, chirping like a bird, may have its origin in the context of group or inter-group tensions or warnings from predators being close by in the dark of the night. It is at least a guess that is as good as any other since chirping has very much a situational context and can really spook piggies when you play an audio and video on your phone that has connection with what is going in the piggy room – but this is just an aside.

Due to the close proximity, the pheromones from one strong season will spread quickly and can cause some major several days mega-seasons until all sows in the room close enough in their oestrus cycle have had theirs much more strongly than they would normally. The drama and the (literally) clouds of female and male pheromones involved are not for the fain-hearted – especially on a cold winter’s day when you cannot just open all windows for the day!

‘Our patch’
However, this does by no means imply that the group is not the core unit of guinea pig life; not just as a social but also as a territorial one. Guinea pigs identify themselves to a good deal not just positively as a member of ‘us’ but also very much against defining other piggies as ‘not us’. The latter is sadly fast increasing in this day and age of indiscriminate for sale mass breeding of babies, who will have to start their pet life with incomplete cavy socialisation and can be handicapped by that lack later in life when meeting new companions by well-meaning and welfare conscious owners.

Having a good denning area well protected and insulated by thick undergrowth and grass makes a difference to a group’s overall survival chances in terms of exposure to predator attacks and to making it through the rather notorious extreme swings of the South American climate.

A group patch is rather fiercely protected from any competition. While straying babies and exploring sub-teenagers that do not pose any risk will be welcomed or at least tolerated, any teenager or adult will get a very different reaction unless they exchange the correct signals and will submit to the group leaders. A second boar posing a risk of rivalry is chased off or – if they are of a similar or greater size and strength will have to be fought off. Dominant especially older sows used to running their group will also see off any perceived competition.

That is the reason why you should never just stick a new piggy into a cage because it can put both parties on the wrong foot – the invaded won’t be welcoming and the invader will be very much on the defence. It is a perfect recipe for serious deep split second defence bites and a failed bonding.
If you want to add to an established pair or group, then please do so outside the normal group territory on a ‘herd’ setting for a much better chance of success.

1708018228761.jpeg
Gareth at the front would like to meet; Beryn would not (tight body language)

As with most territorial animals, the group territory will be clearly scent-marked; not just by the ‘husboars’ (as I call the boars living permanently with a sow or a group of sows) - although they will do it more often and more energetically than the sows. Any boar in possession of a territory will scent-mark and defend it at need and great cost since their own survival will very much depend on being part of a sow group. The most sensitive to any territorial changes are generally boars but especially teenage boars, who can react rather strongly to having their marked territory destroyed with every cage clean.

1708018913196.jpeg
Meeting with the new neighbours for later bonding

It should also be noted that while some piggies can indeed make friends through the bars or – in the case of two single piggies living next to each other with full body sight, scent and audio interaction through the bars – create or maintain a bond, some guinea pigs (especially when they are on the fear-aggressive side) can pick up neighbourhood feuds through the bars like nobody’s business. When Dryw temporarily returned to her old pen with her old man Pioden, she was greeted by teeth chattering chorus from all neighbouring cages.
I also have several other piggies that have managed to fall out with their neighbours through the bars, so working out which pair can live next to who during a cage reshuffle can be as tricky as working out which delegation can sit next to which at an UN session!
Thankfully Dryw has accepted the two baby girls I adopted for her shortly before Pioden passed away from old age and is very happy and a lot more confident with them.
But I also have little happy go lucky Nye who managed to win the hearts of the sows he was living next to for several months while bonded with Nosgan (who turned out to not being a ladies’ boar); when I introduced him to big Hyfryd and her daughter Hirael, he made a beeline for Hyfryd and gave her a big piggy smack on the eye – and the rest is (still ongoing) history. Nye was the only Tribe boar to ever melt Hyfryd’s heart…

Switching and mingling group scents – yes or no?
While some people recommend switching bedding or cages repeatedly between piggies in the run up to a bonding, my own experiments and experiences have been on the whole a lot more mixed and much more differentiated.
It does work with sub-teenage piggies desperate whose single most desire is to ‘belong’ – but then, they should be bonded as soon as they have had their gender double-checked anyway.

Having the scent and sounds of other guinea pigs usually does act as an instant assurance to any frightened arrivals – they are going to join an established herd.
But if you have to quarantine new arrivals, rather place a scent-marked bit of soiled bedding from your existing piggies near to the cage and not in it. And NEVER use sow bedding next to any bonded new boars unless you want to risk a fight!

However, in the case of teenagers or adult newbies it can actually make them feel invaded in their little private pre-bonding patch and rather raise negative than positive sentiments; which will contribute to a failed intro. If in any doubt it is better to leave the strange scent on the other side of the bars!

On the whole, for me it is one of these ‘magic wand’ bonding tricks that actually doesn’t make a real positive impact but that can make things worse rather than better. Personally, it’s another one to leave be and safe under ‘debunked fad’.

1708018326907.jpeg
Maelog exploring after I took some other piggies for a vet check

That said, there is nothing like the excitement and fun as exploring and thrashing a neighbouring cage… Seeing how the neighbours live and then happily taking the (preferably evacuated) premises apart and liberally spraying with the own group scent makes for prime enrichment. My piggies really love to have fun with the soiled cosies from another group during their time on the shared ‘herd’ roaming ground on cage cleaning day before the resulting mess goes into the washing machine. If you have more than one pair of the same gender (never use sow stuff with boars only pairs), it is a wonderful and very cheap enrichment.

Territorial behaviours
Most guinea pig owners are not aware that territorial behaviours exist; especially as they can be sometimes rather subtle. This means that they are actually the group of behaviours that is the most misinterpreted; especially as they are often behaviours that need to be taken in context.

The most common scenario for owners that do not have several adjoining cages is a fall-out/temporary separation and the introduction of new guinea pigs, whether you are adding more to a pair or trying to re-bond a bereaved single of yours. New cages, cage extensions or – in the extreme – a cage clean for very sensitive teenage boars can also act as triggers.

Firstly, we have to distinguish between sub-teenage (i.e. under 4 months olds) and teenage/adult guinea pigs (over ca. 4 months) because their needs are different. Youngsters are generally desperate to belong and to have protection and guidance from an older guinea or group while they are still learning the subtleties of social interaction and how to master the challenges of their environment whereas teenagers are increasingly spreading their wings and practice adult behaviours and patterns.
Teenagers and adults of both genders are generally much keener to establish their own territory or group and are more inclined to see others of their age and size as rivals; especially if they do not have a group background or are very much hormonal teenagers.

1708017846253.jpeg
Territorial power lie-in between Macsen and Dylan to each mark their territory

A lot of the interaction at the bars between new neighbours may actually not be quite as friendly or enthusiastic in the way you think. While nose-touching and smelling is the normal greeting, bar biting and rattling upon first meeting is generally not a good sign. You want to give those new arrivals time to settle down and get their bearings, whether they are boar meeting sow pheromones for the first time or a new sow – in her case, keep an eye out whether her body language is very relaxed or rather stiffer.
A meeting between confident and settled guinea pigs will contain some territorial behaviour but it is on the relaxed or even fun side, interspersed with popcorns in the younger piggies and a return to some browsing in the adults after saying hello and going through the motions of ‘this territory is occupied by us’ – but in the latter case it comes with an implied ‘you are welcome if you are willing to fit in with us’.

I hear so often after a failed bonding or re-bonding attempt: “But my piggies have been lying across the bars!”! Indeed – unfortunately for you, they have been demarcating and guarding their territory and expressing the exact opposite of what you’ve been thinking.
Friendships through the bars usually develop slowly and are generally connected with other friendly behaviours like a piggy wash and repeated affirmations of mutual liking. Anyway, the desire for company and sharing the same space with other piggies can be two very different animals for those piggies that have only ever been single or with just one mate since they were babies and that have therefore no training on how to handle new neighbours or potential companions. Behind any over the top behaviours lies usually fear and insecurity.
In s newly separated or fully fallen-out pair that is bar biting/rattling or lying next to each other is almost always not friendly. If you are testing for whether a bond is still viable (including in the case of suspected bullying), you have to look away from the rattler to see how the other piggy is reacting.

Rumble-strutting together along the bars is a territorial measuring up dominance behaviour; you can see it from boars looking for which boy is larger and has the more sonorous rumble. If it is less than a friendly contest and there is some real tension and grudge in this from a newly fall-out pair, then you can be very sure that is it territorial and that these two boys won’t got back together again happily. Rumble-strutting sows in this context are keen to make sure that the other side knows that they are the Top Pig and not willing to give up their claim to ruling their own space – it is going to be either total submission when meeting in the bonding pen or pack your suitcase and move on straight away.

The keener the behaviour through the bars, the more likely it is that the party is feeling insecure and may react fear-aggressive during a bonding. In freshly neutered boars the excitement of being in the presence of sow hormones can take over. Best wait until they have found the on switch for their brain again a few days later before trying to bond.
Adult sows not in season and insisting on dominance will usually play it very cool and ignore any new boar in the ‘hood. He will have to keep his distance and be submissive until a dominant or fear-aggressive sow will allow him to mate with her when she is in season. The least wrong step, and he has had it.

While it is usually the dominant piggy that is the decider in any bonding, if a lower ranked sow picks up a serious dislike, the rest of the group can swing behind and close ranks against a newcomer.

Ultimately, you can never quite predict how a bonding or re-intro will turn out but it can help if you are aware that not all may be quite as swinning as you think!
It usually takes experience to read the subtle body language; and even then piggies can surprise you because we are still very much in the process of deciphering a much more complex interaction where known behaviours often have several different meanings depending on the social context. We have made it through the primary school level dictionary for many behaviours (with some still left to crack, like chirping), but we are only starting on the adult thesaurus – it has a lot more sub-entries and contextual meanings under each major behaviour ‘word’ than we could have ever imagined!

For more information on various behaviours and their potential meanings: A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

6 Reacting to Changes: Hierarchy Sort-Outs

With an average life span of only around 3 years and a hostile environment, wild guinea pig social life is much more fluid and eventful, whether that is losses, births, regular leadership changes, new boars being accepted or changes to the territory due to climate extremes, infectious illnesses, predation and the waxing and waning of group fortunes and the amount of territory they can claim around their denning areas.

What can trigger a new hierarchy sort-out?
Every major change in personnel or territory means that the group has to re-establish itself with a new hierarchy sort-out from the top down to the bottom. If there are competing claims for leadership or some major unresolved conflicts festering, this is the time when they can come to the fore and can lead to fall-outs even in adult relatives and long term companions. It is both a time for a big crisis if it leads to a split but also an opportunity to start afresh under a clear leader. Because the survival of the group as a whole depends on the group working as a unit, a clear hierarchy is absolutely crucial.

This need for establishing and re-establishing a working hierarchy in the wake of a change is still very much present in our pet piggies; whether that is in the wake of a bonding introduction, after a death or a group split/medical separation or if an under-sow in a pair has had babies and has therefore gained in standing but it also applies to territorial changes from arrival in a new home to any cage extensions or moves or any other big changes to the environment. Teenage boars are the most sensitive to territorial changes (even to cage cleans in the extreme) but it can also affect older pairs, including cystic sows.

On average, the hierarchy sort-out lasts around 2 weeks; it can be much shorter (especially with babies) or last much longer with an insecure new leader who has got the job by default rather than wanting it. It always works downwards through the rungs and starts with the highest ranked piggy that is directly affected by the change. If a leader’s position is not in question, they will stay aloof; and so will any ‘husboar’ if the problem involves the sow hierarchy but not his own standing. The group is only fully established once this process is finished. That is why any bonding is not just a matter of a few hours but actually a much longer process. You will see the biggest dominance always coming from the piggy ranked just above to the one ranked below. In a larger group, this is often the only time you can get an insight in the inner workings.

The hierarchy sort-out is characterised by typical dominance behaviours (carefully judged gestures of powers) and often plenty of submission screaming, which is NOT from pain. It can be very mild in piggies wanting to be with each other and very contested if there is a conflict of interest that cannot be resolved with the fronts hardening as the days go by. In this case, it is usually better to call a bonding off or split a group as the accumulated grudge has a very bad habit of resurfacing again at the worst time possible.

1708024114336.jpeg
Chinning between Tegan and Hedydd

What can I do to mitigate the impact?
You can ease potential flash points by spreading/rubbing scent-marked bedding or fabrics all over a joined or new/newly extended cage. Provide as many hides with two exits as there are piggies (ideally all the same which cuts down on possessiveness) and by sprinkle-feeding veg and pellets around the cage as well as having water bottles at different ends and ensuring that access to hay (which makes around 75-80% of the daily food intake) cannot be blocked.

The one ‘fail-safe’ bonding trick which I have found does not work is to switch bedding between cages prior to any bonding. It doesn’t make any difference for piggies, who are desperate for companionship but it very much feels like a hostile intrusion for any insecure piggies, fuelling their stress and contributing to a bonding fail right from the outset because acceptance will be denied any perceived hostile invader.

Since hierarchy sort-outs can often trip up new or unsuspecting owners, I hope that this helps you to understand what is going on a bit better.

For the post-intro dominance phase, please see our bonding guide: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Detailed information on dominance behaviours: Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

7 We, the Boars

There are so many dos and don’ts and so many myths and misconceptions around our pet boars. In this instalment, I am trying to take a different look at boars – not from our owner’s side but from the species perspective in order to understand a bit better why the way we usually acquire and keep pet guinea pigs short-changes boars on several levels.

‘Bachelors’ and ‘Husboars’
Firstly, I want to go back to the ‘cavy passport’. We have looked at identity from the individual, the herd and the group perspective in the previous instalments and have found that the group is what guinea pigs identify themselves by first and foremost as their ‘nationality’.

Now I want to take a closer look at the civil status in a guinea pig passport. While in our Western society, the title of a woman has until recently distinguished her marital status as ‘Miss’ or ‘Mrs’ - but in most languages not that of a man -, this marital status distinction is in the light of cavy society much more crucial in the case of boars than with sows.

Membership of a group is not a given for boars; and in fact, in their wild ancestors, being a member of a group or not would very often be a matter of simple survival. Wild groups are generally much smaller and very hierarchical. Occasionally, a second submissive boar is tolerated in a group, but never more.

Society in domestic guinea pigs is quite different due to having to adapt to how they have been kept in larger crowds as farm animals. Group sizes can be any size, much larger than any wild herd, and can also can include any number of boars. Without access to different denning areas, group and herd have essentially merged.
However, whether a boar is a ‘bachelor’ member or a ‘husband’ who has been accepted for mating and helping to bring up his by sows still makes a huge difference in status as far as boars are concerned.

Once baby boars are weaned, their stay with their birth group would very much depend on the breeding creche group lord’s tolerance; an uncle affiliated with the core group may take on their education or they have to seek their luck elsewhere if they clash with their dad. Outside the core groups, you have the bachelor boars, who remain with the herd but are unaffiliated and are hoping for their chance to win the favour of sows of his own.

DSC03456_edited-3.jpg
Dylan became a very caring 'uncle boar' for weaned baby Llelo to protect and teach him

This doesn’t necessarily mean that bachelors are loners. Males can hang out in somewhat more informal and often more temporary associations based on their willingness to be together or hang around their original family more loosely. Often it would be group crèche members of a similar age that would naturally stick together, at least initially. This is the pattern our own pet keeping situation for boars that are not neutered essentially follows.

While it has been known that fathers even in the wild ancestor species – there are several wild guinea pig species and by far not in all of them take the dads any interest in their offspring - are involved in bringing up babies, it is now also observed that some boars are willing to look after younger boars that have left their group and to be their guardians. The ability to nurture and to form meaningful bonds and relationship is going back very far in our pet boars.
That is why some boars make such wonderful nursery nurses and teachers and why they often pine more after the loss of their long-term companion than sows, who are more strongly wired to keep the show going. And why pet boar pairs between boars of different ages (especially an adult and a baby) are often much more stable through teenage, unless there is a major clash in dominance.

However, because of the inherent rivalry in being accepted by a sow or several as the ‘husband’ or - as I prefer to call them - a ‘husboar’, there is always an element of competition and instability present as well. Being chosen to father the next generation (and it is the sows who choose who they want to have their offspring with) means a huge step up in status. Becoming a ‘husboar’ is nearly every boy’s dream come true.

1708026297777.jpeg
Dylan later in life as a husboar during bonding with his second wife Beti

Being ripped away from a sow after mating with her and being either stuck back with their boar-mate or tucked into a breeder box on their own, is on the other hand every boy’s nightmare of a relegation in status come true – and then some people wonder why their bred boars fight as soon as they are back together again…

How does natural behaviour transfer to a pet setting?
What has really surprised me is just how aware of each other the various ‘husboars’ in the Tribe room are, and even more so my discovery that they actually have worked out a hierarchy amongst them that is independent of and overarching the individual groups in which they live. Every newly arrived boar is measured up by mutual rumble-strutting whenever the boars meet through the bars. I call this function of rumble-strutting a ‘boar haka’, a showing off of their mutual prowess. It is the peaceful way of establishing who is stronger and who is the weaker.

Consequently, while an accidental meeting on the roaming ground certainly counts as a diplomatic incident, the only bites have ever come from a boar cornered in a hut in his own cage in the course of an accidental cage invasion; and those were the instinctive defence bites of a trapped piggy and not the bites to the rump of fighting boars.

It has however also been very interesting to see that some boars can start a private feud through the bars just as well as neighbouring sows; some boars can really wind each other up. Jiggling groups around the room and making sure that any feuding groups are housed well away from each other can at times make the seating plan of a UN conference look like a doddle!

Fights for access to a group of sows do happen and fights and bullying over scant food resources are also not rare, especially in neglect situations; but in our domestic piggies, fights are usually the result of the weaker boar being unable to remove themselves from the premises in a cage setting or where boars are very evenly matched but with a shared dominant outlook.

That is also the reason why space to get away from each other is so important for boars in a pet setting. If possible, choose a cage size that can be very easily split into two welfare-compatible single cages with the help of a divider - and having that extra divider handy is something you may include in your order when buying a boar cage. Spare C&C cage grids always come in handy anyway!

It is no coincidence that the huge hormone spikes in teenage boars and young adult boars happen at a time when the more ambitious of them are starting eyeing up a career as a ‘husboar’. By far not every boar is so minded, and in fact, the majority of boars will never realise their aim. The boar vs. sow ratio in wild species is heavily tilted towards sows; meaning that bachelors will either have been driven out or pushed to the edges of the herd territory and be therefore much more vulnerable to predation when fending for their own.

Domesticated farm boars in the Andes would be generally more likely used for consumption than breeding sows, but this is not the case in the current uncontrolled mass breeding (‘hoarding’) situations that are often due to neglect or ignorance and that cause guinea pig rescues such headaches when they deal with the results. But this is also the reason why there are generally more boars in shops or in backyard breeder adverts – they are the extras...

Boars in the prime of their lives would naturally make the best of leaders, combining physical prowess with their experience. Domestication has however meant that there is usually enough food around for every piggy close to where they live and that the whole herd is living much more closely together. In a large pen or premises with lots of piggies, herd behaviour will take over from group distinction.

Pet boars – the big losers
Boars as pets can follow either the boars-only bachelor pattern (whether you create an often more stable ‘guardian and youngster’ pair’ rather than a same age ‘creche mates’ pair or the ‘husboar’ setting with one or more sows.
But it also explains why in German speaking countries the practice of baby boar castration means that they can go back to live peacefully with their family and stay with it for their whole life does work and would be a model to consider in other countries as well, as it entirely avoids most of the problems that plague pet boars and their owners elsewhere and allows safe cross gender set-ups and stable pairings with sisters right from the start of the life.

1708025893176.jpeg
A successful boar trio bonding - chances are much better with adult and especially older boars

Trios and quartets are the most unstable, unless the boars have been able to choose each other. Even more so if all boys are hitting the teenage hormones at the same time in limited cage space. It is not that trios and quartets cannot work in the right conditions, it is mostly that the way we acquire piggies (babies chosen for their looks and not who they hang out with) and the way we keep them cuts right across social boar instincts and wiring as it denies them what I call ‘an amicable divorce’ with the losing boar being able to remove himself from the premises.

1708025953510.jpeg
A boar trio that didn't make it

Merging two bonded boar pairs (unless they are all adult or older and are not forced into it) is very often a recipe for disaster. Just adding a baby to a bonded pair can also easily result in the bonded boar pair falling out if the stress of an unwanted bonding comes down between them and causes a fall-out. But even trying to bond a baby with a single or bereaved boar can fail if the personality match is not there – although the same adult boar may be totally in love with the next youngster he meets.

Please be aware that introducing sow pheromones into a boars-only room can really upset boars of any age, and that a spayed sow – while she won’t have any seasons – is still a sow and will usually still cause problems sooner or later when living with several boars. You are very much working against the social wiring in this case and not with it.

You need to also accept that especially in small formations like trios and quartets two neutered boars do not work out with sows; namely the dream of merging a boar pair with a sow pair – it generally won’t work out because pair dynamics differ from trio and quartet dynamics to small group dynamics with 5-7 piggies to large herd group dynamics where in the individual personality starts to be subsumed by the overall group dynamics require more piggies and ideally a very large space. The more piggies, the less important the individual personality outlook; but of course, not all piggies (especially with fear-aggressive issues and social deficits) will necessarily be suited to live in a large group.

1708025973519.jpeg
A 'can't live together but can't live without you' fallen out pair of boars who still maintain a bond through the bars
The inherent instability in pet boar bonds is largely due to two factors: The fact that boars are not allowed to choose who they want to be with and lack of cage space to have their own little territory if needed.
A common misconception I often encounter from owners with dysfunctional boar trios or quartets in large cages is that they think that space alone will prevent fall-outs. The big size doesn’t mean that there won’t be any fall-outs; what a large cage gives is the option for an ‘amicable divorce’ and the option of the losing boar to keep out of the winning boar’s territory so they do not have to fight it out with bloody bites. That is also the reason why fallen-out boars can often make a successful ‘can’t live together but can’t live apart bonded pair’ in a divided cage if there haven’t been a big bloody clash or repeated scrapping as a solution for owners who do not have the space or financial reserves for more piggies.

Rescues, especially good welfare standard privately run non-kill rescues, are doing a great job at offering rescue-born babies (if they have them) from pregnant intakes for a bonding service with bereaved, single or fallen-out boars in order to create a more stable guardian – student situation with allowing the boars to decide whether they suit or not.
It is not always a quick job; but you generally know that you are in good hands with a rescue that is insisting on a welfare compatible home and care and also keeps their rescue piggies in good conditions with strict quarantine in a separate area upon arrival, medical care and which puts up guinea pigs for adoption only when they are healthy and ready for a new home.

A look at the neutering situation
There is an increasing drive to neuter rescue boars so they can be paired up with a sow or more; especially as the majority of boars winding up in rescues and on the free-ads are typically fallen-out teenage boars at the most difficult age for re-bonding due to their all-time hormone high. Major charities like the RSPCA and the Blue Cross in the UK have switched to a neutered boars-only policy in order to cut down on accidental breeding from mis-sexing and on the big problem of unwanted fallen-out teenage boars. They offer adoption only if your boar is safely neutered (ideally 6 weeks post-op) with sows of theirs or will allow a neutered boar of theirs to live with rescue sows; many branches however won’t offer a time intensive bonding service since they are also all volunteer-run and need everybody to firstly care for the growing flood of discarded pets in today’s throw-away world.
The unique – and successful - Swiss system that doesn’t allow guinea pigs to live or to be sold/rehomed on their own entirely runs on neutered boars (mostly castrated baby boars sold via pet shops or licensed breeders) while full boars are strictly kept in tightly controlled licensed breeders’ hands. There are only rather few guinea pigs that end up in rescues and waiting lists for adoption into five-star homes only are very long.

1708026043456.jpeg
Nosgan was neutered boar bond widower who just did vibe with sows.
Young Nye became his boyfriend but went on to live (neutered) with the sow of his dreams from next door.

Boar neutering has become a much more often performed operation over the last decade; not least through the increased rescue drive. It is overall a lot more successful, with fatalities having gone down massively. Finding a good operating vet is however still key. If you are planning to have a bereaved or a fallen-out boar neutered and bonded with a rescue sow or two, you can always ask the rescue as to which vet they us since that vet will certainly have the experience and practice! It is admittedly not a cheap option and one that you may want to research first. Please always take the time but be aware that online research will majorly feature all the complications and bad outcomes and can give you a rather distorted view of the reality on the ground.
However, the many originally single, fallen-out or ‘unbondable’ Tribe ‘hus-boars’ that I have adopted over the years have definitely had the happiest of boar lives; and, of course, my current lot of de-sexed boys is still doing that.

A boar living with one or more sows is the most stable of all constellations because it comes most closely to fulfilling any boar’s career dream. Unlike with other settings, you are working with and not against natural social instincts. Again, the big hurdle at the start is acceptance – not every sow; especially not sows that have outlived their normal pup-bearing age by about 3 years are necessarily any longer interested in a boar companion. It is all down to personal outlook and mutual liking as my 5 years old Tesni proved when she fell head over heels for 5 months old gentle Gethin and had two very happy years with him.

Some rescues in the USA and in Canada prefer to de-sex sows via an ovariectomy procedure instead of boars; if you can get to one of them, you are very lucky with your bereaved or single boar! Auckland Cavy Care in New Zealand has a strict de-sexing policy for all their piggies but there are sadly no rescues in the UK with a spaying policy.
An increasing number of UK rescues is however offering an end-of-life companionship service for owners of bereaved single piggies who do not want to continue with guinea pigs where the companion will revert back to the rescue.

A warm word for boars
Boars have always been the more expendable half of the guinea pig population, and this continues until today. There are always a lot more boars around because much more sows are retained for breeding purposes whether that is commercial chain pet shop mass breeders or for sale backyard breeders (who are very much unregulated).

Since the vast majority of sales are still babies in too small cages that have been bought for cuteness and not for who they hang out with most, boars continue to be failed by humans and the human pet keeping system on all levels – it is us, the humans who are entirely to blame when it comes to the bad press for boars.

1708026003244.jpeg

It doesn’t take a lot for you to minimise or avoid problem areas to enjoy boars – and they are very enjoyable indeed! Since boars do not have the burden of running a group and producing offspring, they are often much more personable, vocal, fun and interactive with humans. That is one big reason why I so love my Tribe ‘husboars’.
Boars also have the advantage that as they age, their hormone output is gradually winding down (but NOT their fertility) and even the worst teenagers truly mellow and become much nicer in older age. Sows were never engineered to outlive their ideal breeding age and for whom the permanent high hormone output often poses health and social issues as they get older. If you thought a teenage boar at the height of his testosterone output is hard to bond, you haven’t yet met cranky old ladies...

Practical tips for improving boar bond stability
Here is a list of points you may find helpful:

- If you can, consider adopting an already bonded pair or a mixed pair of piggies (with one parti de-sexed of course); older piggies often make the better cuddlers. Make sure that their new home carries their scent before you put them into it in order to minimise the necessary hierarchy sort-out that results from any change of territory or personnel.

- Always give boars as much space as you can spare; it really helps! Also make sure that each boar has a hut with two exits, so they cannot be cornered and fight to get out. Make sure that you have water bottles in different places and avoid sharing bowls. Sprinkling veg and pellets (only so much that they can be eaten in one sitting to encourage eating hay/grass fibre as much as possible) does not only cut down on food bullying and soiling, it also simulates natural foraging behaviour and counts as enrichment.

1708025915492.jpeg

- Keep boars to pairs and do not mix them with others. Play time is always full-on bonding time as far as guinea pigs are concerned; they do not play with each other.
Boars and boar pairs can live in adjoining cages (if necessary cable-tie or put in an opaque divider if you have a feud on your hands) but unless you really have a full room; it is better to keep to pairs with any boar constellation that are not otherwise already stably bonded.

- Boar groups have more complex dynamics and therefore a higher risk of failure, which in a smaller cage can easily result in fights and fall-outs. About the same number of successful bachelor groups is outweighed by groups that end in all singles where none of the boys will go back with any of the others. Mostly you end up somewhere in the middle with one working pair and the rest singles.

- Larger bachelor groups of 10+ boars with lots of space generally work better than small groups as they function more like a larger herd group where the individual dynamics are buffered by the group. You will still need a spare space for any problems and illness, though. Like with sows, not every boar is suited for life in a big group.

- Boar pairs with an age gap (ideally one adult), father and son pairings or adult boar pairs are often more stable than same age pairs because they do not hit the teenage hormone spikes at the same time and they usually have a working natural hierarchy. But don't count on it working out without fail when the babies hit teenage!

1708026022073.jpeg

- If you can only access pet shop babies, then spend some time to look out for which boars are hanging out with each other most – they are much more likely to be friends and have a greater chance of surviving the teenage months together. More boar pairs actually make to through teenage than not but you can tweak the odds a little bit more in your favour. It all depends on the right mix of dominant and submissive personalities.

- A single boar can live next to sows for social stimulation and interaction because he has nobody in his cage to fall out with. What you need to make sure is that he cannot climb over, jump out or wiggle through any grids. Cable ties and a towel or a solid board pegged over the top of his cage along the divider should take care of any determined escape artists – especially when sows are in season!
This also works for surprise dads in mis-sexed pairs, newly separated single baby boars or bereaved boars as an emergency measure.

-When getting bonded pairs from the free-ads, please be aware that owners desperate to get rid of unwanted pets can be very economical with the truth when it comes to health and getting on. Always have a plan B (cage divider or spare cage) at the ready.

1708025931728.png

- And please, please, please always double-check the gender of any guinea pigs you bring home!
We have a sexing guide with lots of reference pictures for different ages linked below but we also offer knowledgeable help with sexing, too, if you struggle.
Please accept that every sexing should have a hands-on component because the place where the two genders differ most are necessarily obvious with just a look at the genitalia - which is also the reason for the sadly rather rampant mis-sexing. Our aim on this forum is to teach you how you can learn for yourself how to sex guinea pigs crorrectly so you won't be again at the mercy of people who should know but sadly often don't ever again.

For more information on boars throughout the different ages, boar dos and don'ts, companionship, neutering/de-sexing and boar care aspects:
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Pictures:
Red & Brillo, Piggieminder
Pepper & Pringle, rp1993
Pepper & Percy, weepweeps
lethals Forrest & Silver2, Eriathwen
lethals Forrest & Silver ed. Eriathwen

Conclusion

There is still rather little known about the role of boars and natural social behaviours in domestic guinea pigs, so if you enjoy animal research or would like to become a researcher yourself, guinea pigs are a great overlooked field crying out for so much more work to be done because they really deserve being respected as a species and getting out of the box of being a cheap short-lived animated toy pet for children.

I have been barely scraping the surface with my own observations during my exploration of social identity and species interaction that we come across every day in our own pet guinea pigs, often without being aware how much is still there.
But if this articles series has helped you to think more about where your guinea pigs come from and how we can work towards fitting our ownership to their social needs instead of aiming to make our piggies to fit our own human-centred desires and concepts, then that is certainly a job well done!

1708027990301.jpeg
An abandoned but thankfully rescued dad with his three baby sons from both his mother and his sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back