• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sunshine has a sore ear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just been cleaning the pigs out and noticed that Sunshine's left ear has a small cut on the underside and has whiteness on the top of the ear. I noticed a small cut as I seperated him and Twinkle and thought Twinks must have bitten his ear. It wasn't white this last night so I am thinking he is scratching his ear as it is getting better or he has some kind of fungal infection?

Any idea what I should do? I can take him the vet, not a problem but hopefully this is something I can manage at home. I've been cleaning the ear with a cotton bud and cooled boiled water for the time being.

Thanks!

Louise
x

I would add some salt to the boiled water...

Do you think hes being bullied, itching or mites, caught it on something?

Hi Cherry,

Well Sunshine and Twinkle were seperated a couple of weeks ago as they had a scrap it was a day later and Peter noticed a small cut on his ear. I bathed it and it seemed to go ok. I've checked for mites and can't see anything, he isn't excessivly scratching and I can't see what he would catch it on as I don't use a hay rack or anything like that. I use cardboard boxes for hay. The boys live next to one another now and seem happier. No wonder Sunshine is narked with Twinkle if he bit his ear!

I'll add some salt to the boiled water and see how it goes. He is the same as ever, eating lots and has gained 100g in the past month so he seems to be thrieving so I'm not overly concerned, it just looks a bit sore for him.

Thanks for your help!

Louise
x

when mine get a cut to their ears i use savlon and vaseline and nothing else O0 It soon heals and does the job 0:)

Thanks :) I'm trying to take a pic of it so I can show you all, I'm not good at describing things...lol Just rung Peter and he thinks it's fungal but we'll see. :)

Oh right O0 I think fungal is like dry skin on their ears and makes it kinds like a whitish look to it :)

He does have a touch of whitness on the top of the ear. :-\

I took a pic

Sunshine-1.jpg

Please ignore the poop ::) I've just cleaned them out as well. And just look at his nails, I only done them 2 weeks ago...lol I wish mine would grow quick. I think with him not being on a hard surface (he's on fleece) that they aren't keeping short. Peter and I will have a go at cutting them tonight. I dread it, I've a real fear of hurting him!

Oh yeah i see what you mean :-\
It looks as though a chink has gone missing and he has a slight fungal problem but that can be sorted O0
I would let the wound heal up first if it hasnt already then treat him to a fungal treatment 0:)

Thanks, I'll do that. It does look like a chunk is out of his ear but that is just where it is bloodied. I am letting him have smome lunch and then I'll bathe it and see how it looks from there. :)

Ahhh right O0 Good Luck
and if it is blood it does look dry and scabbed over so you should be fine to start treatment now 0:) GG do some good stuff which i still havent managed to get any of as I'm too busy ::) but they do fungal treatment :)

How long has he had it? Looks like fungal and hes scratched to me most def :(

Hope it all gets fixed soon! O0

Louise i have some galens garden green cream, i baught it for bee when she had a scab but never used it. its from gorgeous guines do you want for him? xx

micro-neem from GG. thats what i used on merlin. also some lavender and myrr lotion is good for easing the soreness of fungal. thats what i was recommended for merlin and he cleared up in less than 2 weeks, and he had fungal bad

Well I would say 2 weeks with the sore but it healed, I feel so bad now as I just thought it was a cut from Twinkle it has only turned white today. I think perhaps he has a nip from Twinkle and on top he has some fungal thing going on. Now I know what it is I'll get something for it. :) He'll be as right as rain before we know it! :)

Emma that would be fab, I'll private you. :)

yeah micro neem is what chrissie recommended to me for fungal ears :D

iloveanimals said:
GG do some good stuff which i still havent managed to get any of as I'm too busy ::)

How can you be to busy to buy something from GG when you are online at mo?, as it would only take about 5 min 98) ::)

Does Chrissie accept cheque? I don't have funds in my paypal. :)

Adorable_Piggies! said:
iloveanimals said:
GG do some good stuff which i still havent managed to get any of as I'm too busy ::)

How can you be to busy to buy something from GG when you are online at mo?, as it would only take about 5 min 98) ::)
Cause i am on here whilst doing work and when i get a reply i just read it and post ;) I dont need any so its not importanat ::)

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
Does Chrissie accept cheque? I don't have funds in my paypal. :)

you dont have to have funds in the paypal to do it, i use paypal straight off my bank card, just as a middle person

iloveanimals said:
Adorable_Piggies! said:
iloveanimals said:

Cause i am on here whilst doing work and when i get a reply i just read it and post ;) I dont need any so its not importanat ::)

So coming on the forum comes first before getting some GG stuff ? 98), as thats 100% better then p@h treatment. & even if you dont need any now, its always best to stock up you know ;D ::)

i checked my mums pig over yest and he is showing signs of fungal, but we caught it early, so I'm posting her my leftover stuff from treating merlin so she can treat oscar :) his isnt bad, he just has flakey ears and a tiny bald patch

Adorable_Piggies! said:
So coming on the forum comes first before getting some GG stuff ? 98), as thats 100% better then p@h treatment. & even if you dont need any now, its always best to stock up you know ;D ::)
Like i said i dont NEED GG stuff and who said anything about P@H stuff :-\ I do know its best to stock up but i dont have to O0

Sunshine and Twinkle it should be fairly simple to treat and he should be better in not time :smitten:

Thanks all! Lez I will try that then, I'm not clued up, I thought you needed funds in Paypal to pay for things!

I'll have a look now, or what for Peter to come in so he can buy me some..hehe! ;D

Hope Oscar's ears get better soon. :smitten:

nope i never put money in my paypal account :) in payment options you just set your bank card up to it, and click on the bank card listed, then it takes the money directly out of your bank. sorry if i confused you there 98)

What a pain in the bum. My regular email is not signed up to my debit card so I had to go hunting! I found the address that I used to put this card on and it made my day because I had some funds in it that I didn't know about.

I've ordered some micro neem, I bet it stinks as well! lol ;D

it does ;D does a great job though! i prefer it to the melts. its nowhere near as greasy

:-* :-* for Sunshine...get well soon....aw OK :-* for louise too xx ;D ;D

Hope your ear is all better soon Sunshine :smitten: :smitten:
Lennie is starting ivermectin topical on Saturday when I pick it up from the vets, as I had treated him for fungal a while back but he is itching and biting the same spot so better safe than sorry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back