Sudden eating stop

chesneypig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have 2 piggies both female around 3 to 4 and all of the sudden they’ve stopped eating all the veggies we offer them I’ve tried changing the veggies multiple times nothing is helping they won’t even eat Romaine Lettuce anymore. They eat everything else hay pellets and grass but won’t touch the veggies I’m afraid to lose anymore of my babies anyone have any advice

hi, is it new foods that your giving them? if not they might just be picky or get bored of them, that happened to my pigs with cucumbers and i didn’t give them any for a while and then they started liking them again.

Veg is simply supplementary in the diet replacing the role of wild forage.
Their main food is hay. Provided they are eating plenty of hay and their weights are stable at each routine weekly weight check then they are fine.

If they have been losing weight due to lack of hay intake then that is a different matter. In that case you would need to switch to daily weight checks, step in with syringe feeding and see a vet.

Ensure you aren’t overfeeding pellets. They can have just one tablespoon per pig per day.

hi, is it new foods that your giving them? if not they might just be picky or get bored of them, that happened to my pigs with cucumbers and i didn’t give them any for a while and then they started liking them again.
It’s a bit of both between new and old

I have 2 piggies both female around 3 to 4 and all of the sudden they’ve stopped eating all the veggies we offer them I’ve tried changing the veggies multiple times nothing is helping they won’t even eat Romaine Lettuce anymore. They eat everything else hay pellets and grass but won’t touch the veggies I’m afraid to lose anymore of my babies anyone have any advice

Hi

Please weigh your piggies on your normal kitchen scales daily first thing in the morning instead of once weekly so you can monitor the actual food intake. Over three quarters of the diet is unlimited hay, which you cannot control by eye.
Your girls not eating their veg is like missing out on their afternoon snack. Not eating as much hay can mean missing one or two main meals out, just to help you put things into perspective.
Weight Loss Explained: BMI, Weighing, Poos and Feeding Support
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)

If they are losing weight or have already lost weight (check their BMI as to whether they hve enough flesh on their ribs or not), please step in with the appropriate level of feeding support.
The weight loss guide explains how to compute how major or minor any loss of weight is and the syringe feeding guides give you the how-to details for the appropriate feeding support.
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
How to Improvise Feeding Support in an Emergency

Please see a vet if the problem and the weight loss persists.

Has it recently been very hot where you are?
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Please take the time to read the links. They explain all about health/weight monitoring in detail, including working out whether your piggies are still well in themselves or not. You will find the guides very helpful. We cannot type out the whole advice in full in every post, seeing that we are all doing this for free in our own free time.

Since both sows present with the same vague symptoms, the cause is more likely environmental than food related. It can be heat exhaustion or heat stroke hangover, a gas leak (piggies are much more sensitive) or another irritant.
Irritants to Avoid Around Guinea Pigs

Back