Stopped eating pellets

pickleticker098

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I recently was on week one of switching my guinea pigs pellets. he is 9 years old btw. He has now stopped eating his pellets and refuses to, but he will eat hay, veggies, and drink water. I'm pretty worried because I don't want him to be starving. Why isn't he eating and what do I do? I do have critical care but I don't know if I should give it to him.

Pellets are optional, if he is not eating pellets it won't cause harm. He shouldn't need critical care, the main thing is that he continues to have hay and water.

I agree with zorro. As long as he is eating plenty of hay and is maintaining his weight at each weekly weight check then there is no concern. He doesn’t need critical care.

Hay is their main food intake and makes up three quarters of their daily food intake.
Pellets are simply one tablespoon per day (up to only 5% of the daily food intake) as a supplement to replace wild forage - it would be impossible for a piggy to stave by not eating them if a piggy is being fed correctly.

Many of us choose to not feed pellets at all and instead use fresh and dried safe leaves - I only give about 5 pellets to each of mine and even then, I only give them twice a week as a treat.

If he is not eating enough hay, then he will lose weight and if that happens then he does need critical care and needs to see a vet

I recently was on week one of switching my guinea pigs pellets. he is 9 years old btw. He has now stopped eating his pellets and refuses to, but he will eat hay, veggies, and drink water. I'm pretty worried because I don't want him to be starving. Why isn't he eating and what do I do? I do have critical care but I don't know if I should give it to him.
9 years old! Impressive 🥰

Back