• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

spine injury

• Thread starter Thread starter Furby
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Furby

my 4 year old daughter dropped our nutmeg today, since then she is dragging both hind legs. she is eating and drinking normal. but i am worried. i know that everyone says vet, but what can they really do? i think its a spine injury, will we just have to put her down?

:( poor thing... is she in pain? I would definatly say vets and i guess as long as she isnt in pain she hould be okay...
Good luck

Take her to the vet it maybe just a temporary thing she may have muscle injury, but the vets can advise better you need to get some one to give her the once over.
Good luck with your beautiful Furby :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* Furby these are from Duke to help you :smitten: :smitten:
Please let us know what happens all the best for you all.

I am so sorry to hear this!

Years ago my brother dropped Jin (rest in peace) on some concrete and he was paralysed for a while, dragging hind legs and such. Vet insisted on putting to sleep which I refused.

A steriod injection was given over a few weeks I think, and slowly he got back to normal and used his back legs again. If you are willing to take the time into looking after him and paying for medication then I strongly advise for help from your vet :)

Taking her to the vet sounds like a good idea. You wont know for sure what it is until she gets checked out. I hope she gets better.
I have a Nutmeg too. :)

One time my sister tried to make my Beanie fly on concrete! He fell on his nose, and bled a bit, and had a bit of trouble walking after, but he soon recovered. :)

I'm sorry for not updating everyone on Nutmeg's condition. I took the little critter to the vet and, thank god, he told me that he couldn't find any damage. He gave Nutmet a injection of some kind and told me that the injury was probably temporary.

Nutmeg is doing much better now. We've left her alone in her cage to heal and hope she is well enough to handle and receive love soon.

On a sad note, my daughter (4) started playing with my son's skinny pig -- Polly -- since her Nutmeg was out of commission. I left them alone for just a few minutes outside and somehow she and a friend accidentally killed the poor creature. She cries about the accident constantly and tells us that she makes a bad "pet parent."

I've come to the conclusion that Guinea/Skinny Pigs are too fragile for someone of my daughter's age. This is unfortunate since we bought the pigs thinking they would hold up to the rough and tumble life of a young child.

This is why guinea pigs are not children's pets and they should never be allowed to take them out of the cage unsupervised. They are extremely fragile little creatures.

daftscotslass said:
This is why guinea pigs are not children's pets and they should never be allowed to take them out of the cage unsupervised. They are extremely fragile little creatures.
Totally agree.

Let's hope that acts as a warning to others that guineapigs and rabbits aren't good pets for children and adults should NEVER leave them alone unsupervised

Without wanting to upset you, after your daughter had dropped one pig I think it was irresponsible to lleave her alone with another don't you? Once is an accident, twice is not on, sorry, just my opinion

RIP little piggy

kayjay said:
Let's hope that acts as a warning to others that guineapigs and rabbits aren't good pets for children and adults should NEVER leave them alone unsupervised

Without wanting to upset you, after your daughter had dropped one pig I think it was irresponsible to lleave her alone with another don't you? Once is an accident, twice is not on, sorry, just my opinion

RIP little piggy

? Totally agree

kayjay said:

RIP little piggy

I couldn't agree with you more! I hate to see little ones playing with live animals as if they were just cuddly toys. I am a childminder and I keep my piggies away from the young children. I am happy to bring a cage down for them to see the animals from time to time, but always under strict supervision. We can then talk about how important it is to be gentle and kind to animals and the importance of keeping them clean and warm and having plenty of food and water.

They aren't play things. They are living creatures who deserve to be treated with respect. As adults we need to both ensure the safety of our animals and at the same time teach our children to be responsible pet owners in the future. Its not fair for a small child to be traumatised because an animal has got hurt or worse, as adults we must ensure this never happens.

Rest in Peace little one! :-*

I absolutely agree with everything said so far on this subject. I am sorry but under NO circumstances should a 4 year old be left alone with bunnies or pigs, one tragedy is awful but to allow it to happen a second time is unforgivable.

Furby said:
I've come to the conclusion that Guinea/Skinny Pigs are too fragile for someone of my daughter's age. This is unfortunate since we bought the pigs thinking they would hold up to the rough and tumble life of a young child.

Guinea pigs/rough and tumble the two just don't go together! I'm sorry if you are upset or offended by comments made by members on this forum, but if you come on telling us that your child has killed an animal then I am afraid, as far as I am concerned, you are asking to be criticised, one accident is forgiveable, a second is not.

RIP little one.

I totally agree with you Caviesgalore it is unforgiveable to injure one then kill another, I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the post and then could only imagine what that poor little skinny pig went through...............This post has truly upset my day I can't stop thinking about it.
Guinea pigs/rough and tumble the two just don't go together! I'm sorry if you are upset or offended by comments made by members on this forum, but if you come on telling us that your child has killed an animal then I am afraid, as far as I am concerned, you are asking to be criticised, one accident is forgiveable, a second is not

aww RIP llitte one :'(

I'm glad Nutmeg is doing better :) I have a 5 year old cousin and she always asks to hold my guinea pigs but I tell her no... she is so rough with my nans cat and I would hate for her to harm my pigs...

Children and Guinea Pigs dont mix... they are very delicate creatures and need to be treated with respect...

Just another point. As well as the pain and terror inflicted on a poor defenseless animal, there can also be lasting damage on a child who then feels intense guilt for what has happened to the animal. I always remember a friend telling me how she knew of a girl with serious mental health problems which had started after dropping her guinea pig and killing it.

Just a couple of minutes thoughtlessness can have catastrophic consequences both on the animal and the child!

Children must NEVER to be left alone with animals!

kayjay said:

RIP little piggy

I totally agree, plus with all the comments made.

Sorry to speak out of turn, but I am deeply hurt and upset by this happening a second time. Surely the first accident would've made you think twice about leaving your child alone with an animal?

Rest In Peace little piggy xx

furryfriends said:
Just another point. As well as the pain and terror inflicted on a poor defenseless animal, there can also be lasting damage on a child who then feels intense guilt for what has happened to the animal. I always remember a friend telling me how she knew of a girl with serious mental health problems which had started after dropping her guinea pig and killing it.

Just a couple of minutes thoughtlessness can have catastrophic consequences both on the animal and the child!

Imagine how that poor little skinny pig must have suffered. Give the child some toys to play with NOT LIVE ANIMALS!

rip wee guy :(

i personally think that the little girl should not be to blame, she is 4 so obviously her understanding of animals is going to be much less than the parent, as a parent you should be responsible for the welfare of you pets which means not leavng a child to play with a animal alone!

piglover said:
furryfriends said:

Imagine how that poor little skinny pig must have suffered.

The very thought of it makes me feel totally sick! However its the adult who must take full responsibility for what happened! As an animal lover and a parent, I feel very strongly that no child should be put in a position where something like this could happen which consequently is going to cause them such distress!

furryfriends said:
The very thought of it makes me feel totally sick! However its the adult who must take full responsibility for what happened! As an animal lover and a parent, I feel very strongly that no child should be put in a position where something like this could happen which consequently is going to cause them such distress!

Same here. I would've thought the first accident would make her think twice :( Obviously not`

It really depends on how involved your child is with guineas, I have a four year old and she sits with her pig Lilly on her lap on the settee in the house whilst i am cleaning out. Although children can be unpredicatable, I know Amy wouldn't do anything to lilly as she has been bitten by her a good old fashioned way to learn.
she know has a good health resprect for her, and understands if she touches lilly in the wrong way she will get biten, (Lilliy is the bully in the pack outside,she dosn't take any nonscence)
But i would still be constanlt aware if Amy was with the pigs

She holds the pigs to love she dosn't play with them as they are not toys. And she knows this

baby-wilson said:
aww RIP llitte one :'(

I'm glad Nutmeg is doing better :) I have a 5 year old cousin and she always asks to hold my guinea pigs but I tell her no... she is so rough with my nans cat and I would hate for her to harm my pigs...

Children and Guinea Pigs dont mix... they are very delicate creatures and need to be treated with respect...

With your cousin I would let her have one on her knee UNDER SUPERVISION of course - after all children do need to be taught to respect and be gentle with animals and if they're not allowed to hold them they'll never learn. My 6 year old son does hold my piggies but I always make sure he's sitting on the floor, so there is nowhere to drop them to, and I've taught him to be gentle.

I have 4 children and tbh I wouldn't let my 2yr old or my 4yr old hold the pigs under any circumstances, they both stroke the pigs when I am holding them.My 11 year old and 9 year old are allowed to hold them only if sitting down and under supervision.
The little 4 year old who killed the piggy should have been supervised, I just hope this experience has no lasting ill effects on her,poor little love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back