Shed info please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, i know a lot of you have sheds, mine currently live indoors but I'm having continual problems of people being separated because of illness or falling out etc. So i dont have much room to move about in the pig room anymore which makes cleaning out a problem and my mum has started moaning about a 'smell' that i cant smell and she didnt moan about when we got them all ::) Basically i'm looking into getting a shed, i have 4 pigs at the moment but am probably going to end up getting another one for my lonely sow who i had to separate from Ralfie due to continiuing illness. What i'd like to know is how you all heat and light your sheds, how much it cost to get the ground leveled and get it insulated? (if you dont mind me asking) and how big all of your sheds are? and any other info you think may be useful to me? thanks
Love Emma x

Hi Vikkigrissomandgizmo is a great person to ask about insulating as she has insulation and then walls (if you know what I mean).
I have a patio umbrella light in my shed and it lights it up a treat I have silver thermal stuff on the ceiling and I have more for the walls if needed but I have to say it is nice and toastie in there. I also have a big heavy velvet lined curtain over the door to stop draughts.

Wilkersons are selling sheds cheap at the mo I have seen 1 for 148 quid and it is big with windows too! :)

Oooo thanks Dazie, was thinking of asking my dad for one for christmas and getting him to fix it all up! Does your light sort of heat it then? x

Am very interested too :) I love my piggies being indoors but in a shed they could have twice as much room (if not more).

Hi

My shed cost around 200 pound to insulate but that is with space blanket and then plaster board, it is really warm and the piggies love it, My shed is 8 ft by 6ft, and I also have a huge lamp in there and a heater which keeps them warm at night. The windows are also covered with curtains so no drafts can get in.

I don't know about leveling as my shed as been there for quite a while. My shed is sufficiently big enough for 7 pigs, with a pair in a 5 by 2 another by in a 5 by 2 and a trio in a 5 by 4. :)

If you want any other help. just pm me!

Thanks Vikki, that really helps. Did you hire someone to insulate it or do it yourself? What kind of heater is it you have in there? xx

My shed is heated by a convector heater which has a thermostat on it I got it from argos for £20. I insulated the walls and ceiling with thermal foil too which keeps the heat in brilliant. On the floor I have lino which is easy to keep clean.

Pumpkinpiggie said:
My shed is heated by a convector heater which has a thermostat on it I got it from argos for £20. I insulated the walls and ceiling with thermal foil too which keeps the heat in brilliant. On the floor I have lino which is easy to keep clean.

Where did you get the thermal foil from and is it expensive?

I have thermal foil like pumpkinpiggie and the light reflects on it and warms up the shed O0

Jane said:
Pumpkinpiggie said:

Mine was not expensive at all as I got it from an army surplus store £1 a roll ;) I have seen the same stuff in diy shops in the plumbing section it was VERY expensive in those places unfortunatly. Look in the yellow pages for army surplus stores see if there is one near you. If your in the midlands there is one in Nottingham O0

Pumpkinpiggie said:
Jane said:
Pumpkinpiggie said:

Mine was not expensive at all as I got it from an army surplus store £1 a roll ;) I have seen the same stuff in diy shops in the plumbing section it was VERY expensive in those places unfortunatly. Look in the yellow pages for army surplus stores see if there is one near you. If your in the midlands there is one in Nottingham O0

Okies thanks O0 Do you just attach it to the wall and that's it, or do you need to put it on the wall then say put wood infront of it if you know what I mean? I'm not saying so the piggies can't get to it, just...wonder if it's needed?

I think I might go shed hunting lol. Just not sure whether to do it or not.

(sorry for stealing your thread btw jnenbnb..oopsies :-X)

Lol its ok, the info is useful to me too :) my names Emma btw, probably easier to type for you ;D i'm not sure wether to do it either, feel mean putting them outside when they're used to inside :-\ xx

jnenbnb said:
Lol its ok, the info is useful to me too :) my names Emma btw, probably easier to type for you ;D i'm not sure wether to do it either, feel mean putting them outside when they're used to inside :-\ xx

Okies, prefer to call you Emma but didn't know your name ;) Yep, I know what you mean..if I got a shed, say 6'x8', I would make the piggy cage about 6'x6' probably, whereas at the moment their cage is at a 5 1/2 x 2 C&C. So, they would have a lot more room..it's just the thought of moving them out, I dunno..ahh.

Jane
I used a staple gun to attach it all to the walls I have not covered it so it looks very space age in my shed ;D

I know! I'm the same, mine would have more room too but i just feel like its chucking them into the cold! My dad said he'd insulate it and do the electrics because he did my nans loft the other week so has stuff left to insulate it but i dunno :-\

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13337.0

not sure if that link will work but theres my shed!
Mine isn't insulated as such as it is a T&G shed so not draughty also it is a vey sheltered part of the garden,I use lino on the floor with auboise and hay, blankets over the hutches at bedtime ,if it's really cold heatpads and an extra duvet,Yeh I know 98) also I have a thermometer in the shed and am always surprised at how warm it stays in there,if I can help anymore let me know
sammy xx

just read louises post...yes my shed is 8x6ft

Lol as i said then Sammy your shed is great! Thanks for the info i will probably have more questions to ask nearer the time! x

Pumpkinpiggie said:
I used a staple gun to attach it all to the walls I have not covered it so it looks very space age in my shed ;D

Ditto And a little gaffa tape too ;)

Great ideas everyone.

My piggies are in our old 10 x 8 shed (moved hubby's stuff into the smaller 5 x 7!) and in addition to my two hutches I also have some spares for any "visitors". I have just rigged up some C&C runs for the gang to use during the day, they go back into the hutches at night so that I can add heat pads and blankets over the front to keep them toastie. My shed is very sturdy and is currently not insulted or heated, however, I am hoping to get a new one in due course purely for the piggies so all the suggestions regarding heating, insulation etc. are great.

Here's my current set up. The first photo shows the gang of 7s quarters. I've adjusted the shape slightly in the second photo just so that I can get in and out of the door slightly more easily.

100_3543.jpg

CIMG1897.jpg

Ruby, Bella and Flossie couldn't wait for me to empty the grass out of the trug!

CIMG1848.jpg

The boys have their own area at the far end of the shed.

CIMG1899.jpg

The big group are great they either use the litter tray filled with hay, the carrier case or their hutch as a loo - I hardly have any clearing up to do at the end of the day. The three boys on the other hand are gross ;D they go anywhere and everywhere despite having all day access to their hutch and litter/hay trays! That's men for you!

Here are Bella, Flo and Ruby trying out the hay tray

CIMG1898.jpg

Keep the piccies and ideas coming, great thread.

;D ;D your trug looks like it was made for the girls ;D ;D

My dad and uncle insulated my shed for me. and the heater is a convector heater with a theromostat like pumkin piggies! Thats basically what space blanket is thermal foil. Somewhere around there is a picture of before and after pictures, mmm.

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12151.0

It is a bit different now with the addition of 3 pigs but you get the idea O0

Was looking at sheds in Argos earlier and my dad asked me about it...we were talking about changing the chicken pen on the garden into a shed (well, the house bit..there is also a run bit, which could stay there and the piggies would love it!). Not sure if he's convinced at the moment but hey O0

Just a question - I asked dad about heaters and he was on about one type and said it's ike £2 a day to run...and, well, if it is, I know he wont let me have a heater. So, what's a heater that's cheap to run? Do they actually need one if its insulated well?

Would I need a hutch in there? The plan was just a big run type area but will they be warm enough?

I think the heaters you are on about are the low wattage ones ,They cost a couple of pence an hour to run,they provide more of a background heat...not chucking it out like a normal heater ;D ;D

sammy said:
I think the heaters you are on about are the low wattage ones ,They cost a couple of pence an hour to run,they provide more of a background heat...not chucking it out like a normal heater ;D ;D

What are they called? :)

Jane said:
sammy said:

What are they called? :)

Argos do them they are called low wattage panel heaters :)

Thanks both of you :)

Vikki - okies, thanks! Guess they don't need a hutch then ;) Although they do actually have a quite large one but it will be easier to not use it.

Sammy - thanks :D It says they have a low running cost too so will show it to my dad :)

Wow caviesgalore your set up is great and love the pics :smitten: i went osearching for your shed thread last night Viki ;D looks great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back