• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

serious Skin problems HELP! For Hels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Posting this for Hels as she is off to the vets
She has taken a supposedly 12 week old piggy in this morning with serious skin problems to the point the wounds are bleeding.
Looking at the Pictures I am leaning towards mites and the poor little thing is ripping himself open when he is scratching.
I am by no means an expert but what do you lot think?
No Doubt helen will fill us in when she gets back from the vets
shel5.jpg

shelti2.jpg

sheltie.jpg

HPIM3437.jpg

Graham and Hels i've seen piccies like this before, and it was mites >:( >:( >:( only from a friend in the US and she was devastated when she realised what it was :o :o :o
Good luck and please pass on all our best :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Sorry i'm of no help, i've just not experienced it personally :-\ :-\

Thanks Glynis
I had a feeling it was Mites,I havent actually seen him other than on these pictures.

Hope all goes well at the vets Helen and I know you have got him well away from your own Piggies

Poor boy, he's obviously scratched himself raw. He shoudl be ok once he is treated!

Pesky things mites! :(

Def looks like mites to me - I had a little guy in about a month ago in the same condition - needed 3 injections :'(

The hair all grew back very quickly though :)

MIght be worth getting a lice n easy from gg just in case there are any other infestations :-\

Poor little guy, get well soon matey! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi All,

thanks for posting for me Graham. Well the vet said it is mites and mange (or mange mites) - new to this skin condition thing sorry - he has given him an injection and I will take him back in five days for a check up and a further injection if necessary. He has given me a spray called Mycozole to use on him. He said the piggy's eye was starting to become infected also and is a little swollen - he put drops in both his eyes.

I am to bathe him for a couple of days in conjunction with the Mycozole which is for fungal and bacterial infections by the way. Just have to keep an eye on him as he is pretty low at the moment - although he was squeaking quite happily at me earlier when I cuddled him - he will obviously grow to have a lovely temperament - it breaks my heart. Some people are just total total idiots - so ignorant. :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

I have been on the website and ordered some soothing creams from Gorgeous Guineas to help his skin along.

He also said there is no way this little boar is 12 weeks old - more like 7 or 8 and that this infection has been going on for at least a week. Tragic eh. Ah well I will do my utmost to get him fixed and stunning.

He has the most lovely long hair and will (God willing) be ready for rehome once 100& fit and well - Graham, you thought he may be Sheltie?

He is living in our spare room upstairs now - well away from our guineas in the playroom. In a hammy cage at present - my new Nero 3 is due tomorrow so he can go in that. If anyone can help this little chap just let us know.

I am, of course, tempted myself but do have Pumpkin coming in a couple of weeks - unless we could bond them - NO NO NO. ??

Keep your piggy paws crossed for this little man - I am calling him Stig (from Top Gear) in the meantime.

I will keep you all updated.

Helen, Tom, Daisy and the Lilac Boys
xxxxxxxxxxx

Well done for taking him in Helen
Fingers crossed helen that Stig soon responds to the treatment.
Yes in the pictures He looks like a sheltie or sheltie X to me.
Think i will send pumpkin up now then you can do double baths ::)

Where are you? I am seriously tempted :-\

RE Mycozole: I have never used it...I know that some are too strong for piggies and have too many chems, but not sure on this case.

Like I said, might bee worth getting some lice n easy, as its natural ingredients, and i would be susp of possible lice.

whats thw story behind this guy? Link anyone?

Looks like a sheltie x to me :smitten:

He is adorable Helen, how can people be so damn stupid?

He looks like a Sheltie X to me, almost like Emma's Sephy with her coat, actually he has a face like Eccles. What does he weigh any ideas? I suspect my Eccles is younger than 9 weeks, he seems very small.

Good luck with him, sending you all hugs,

Louise
x

Hi, I did ask the vet about the strength of the Mycozole stuff - he said it is quite strong but that the piggy would be ok with it and that in his opinion we needed to get rid of this piggy's discomfort levels as quickly as possible - He said he was slightly worried about the shock aspect to Stig with him being only a baby but we had to do what was in his best interests and that means treat treat treat. I have taken your advice and ordered some shampoo from Gorgeous Guneas too.

This poor boy is adorable - I know I can make him well and that one of you lovely piggy people will perhaps be able to give him a forever home??

He is settled in the hamster ferplast cage and eating some Timothy Hay, cabbage, brocolli and carrot - wish my Nero 3 was here though - hopefully arrive tomorrow.

As Graham says I am in Gretna, just over the Border with Carlisle. .

Thanks for the offer Graham but you can carry on with Pumpkin please - lice, mange and mites in one house - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yep Louise he does look like Sephy! Very long hair but no quite got that full sheltie look going on lol! He's lovely and looks younger than 12 weeks to me, Sephy is 12 weeks and a lot bigger. Fingers crossed he's all better soon and finds a new home :) x

yes sorry meant to say she is in the gallery, just look for posts by me and she'll probably be in there :) her coat isnt like a propper shelties but its a lot longer than my smoothies :)

It could be and looks like ringworm, I've had a couple of young pigs suffer with it. Sounds like the vet has got it in hand though and well done for taking him on, no doubt he feels more comfortable already!

Good Luck! O0

Wow they are so gorgeous both of them. What colour is Sephy - looks chocolate in picture - stunning piggies. Lucky you - lucky them. :smitten: Is that the vetbed stuff on the floor in the first picture? I have just ordered some lilac coloured vet bed but don't know what to do with it ha ha ha. Does it go in all the cage - or just the Bed area?

Is that an indoor run/playpen thing in the picture - need one of those - got a 29 foot playroom (ha ha ha ask Sokel) - I let them out and can't catch them ha ha ha. An indoor type pen would be cool.

Helen and gang.
x

Yep she's chocolate and cream, looks like streaks :) i use the vetbed all over the cage but some just use it for the bed! That is a C&C cage, dont know wether you've heard of them? You make a cage out of metal grids and connectors then put lino or plastic on the bottom to stop wee going through with vetbed or shavings etc on top, its really good because they get loads of space and you can make them as big or small as you want, you can get the grids from screwfix and they're getting them in B&Q, my pigs love the C&Cs a lot more than cages or hutches! Here are two of mine, we have them in the spare room too but its not as big as yours :)

https://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n28/emmajayne28/DSC02834.jpg

theres more at cavycages.com :)

Update on Stiggy the Piggy.

He is doing ok - he is still a little on the down side but we are having lots of cuddles and squeaks and he likes to snuggly into my neck and hair and tell me lots of stories. I left the marital bed last night to sleep in the spare room next to Stig - I was really worried about him - but he is ok - I have a bad cough at the moment and everytime I coughed he rumbled at me to be quiet. Hee hee ;D

I have been on to Chrissie and bought loads of stuff - some of which is due today - and some tomorrow. Can start putting gentle cream on his terrible skin for him. This little man will be tip top soon. He is loving his cabbage and carrots and is eating ok.

I have today been to buy a Nero 2 as a "holding cage" or "infirmary cage" - as my Nero 3 hasn't arrived (for Pumpkin Pie the Peruvian) and I cannot bear to see Stig in the Ferplast Hammy cage (although as he is so very tiny he does have plenty room). Spare cage will come in handy though.

I have bought a full vet bed so will put that in the length of the Nero 2 so he is as comfy cosy as possible. Going to bath him in a minute.

Will deal with him now and post a picture of him this afternoon once the bath trauma has worn off us both..............

Helen, Daisy, Tom, the lilac boys and Stig. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

They're all such sweet little guinea's. Hope stig's better soon. Alice and wendy sending long distance guinea snuggles. :)

I had a piggy with that 'flaky, crusty' patch round her eye and ears which was diagnosed as mites and turned out to be ringworm :-\

Glad to hear he is feeling a bit better.Hopefully he will go from strength to strength
Pumpkin had his bath yesterday and I must admit he is looking lovely although he was not impressed at all ::)
Hopefully 1 more bath next week and he will definatly be clear of the uninvited guests he brought in with him, I hate him being in solitory with no other piggies :(

Oh my poor Pumpkin Baby - he will grow to love his splishy splashy baths I am sure. Have been in touch with Chrissie and everything I need should be on the way - both for Stig's health and wellbeing and for Pumpkin's grooming.

I have put the vet bed thingy completely in the Nero 2 - do I just use half of it and the other half shavings or what? I suppose using half means Daisy and Tom can have half the fleece too - the Lilac boys' fluffy lilac bed is on the way.

Do they do Pumpkin coloured ones? 88) 0:)

Crikey pampered pets or what...... :smitten:

#Sorry didn't manage to post pics this aft but Stig all washed and clean and dry and happy on his vet bed. Eating ok but still very down. Still worried. Been emailing Chrissie and got some more advice from her too.

Will pic tomorrow.
Helen.

Re: serious Skin problems HELP! For Hels - Advice needed.

I have just been up to feed Stig his veggies and he has scratched all his wounds open on his face - I was convinced this was getting better as it was scabbing over and crusty this afternoon. I am waiting for Chrissie's products to arrive but in the meantime do I just bathe his face in lukewarm water ?

Can someone help. He seems very listless today and quiet although he did have his morning veggies and some guinea nuts too. His poops are normal and he is now on vetbed completely for comfort. He just looks lost. Is there anything I am missing - do I just bathe. He had injection on Thursday when I rescued him from that awful woman.

Please can you advise me - I am getting to be so worried about him. :'(

Helen.

Aw poor little fella, I'm no good with wounds its one of the only things i havent had to deal with. Id think the same as you, just boiled and cooled water. wouldnt like to suggest any creams :-\ poor little thing is probably just fed up. Hope he's feeling better soon x

:) Thanks for that - Just a friendly word helps. I have bathed and also put Vaseline over the open wound. I will bathe again tomorrow. He is eating anyway so we just need to keep fingers crossed for him.

People are just so cruel aren't they. He is delightful.

Thanks again.
Helen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back