• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rambo Has A Lump

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it has scabbed over you must pull the scab off and open it up again. You will hurt the piggy less if you just do it really quickly. Baytril isn't a good antibiotic for dealing with abscesses and ideally you could do with getting your vet to prescribe Zithromax.

If it has scabbed over you must pull the scab off and open it up again. You will hurt the piggy less if you just do it really quickly. Baytril isn't a good antibiotic for dealing with abscesses and ideally you could do with getting your vet to prescribe Zithromax.

We'll try again tomorrow, when we tried we couldn't even find the scab ... Is there anything else that can be done to open the abscess again?

I find the best way to deal with an abscess is to use the flat cotton wool pads (make up remover pads), Simon gives me saline, but some cooled boiled water is fine too. Dip the pads in the water and be quite aggressive in how you rub at the abscess site. This often opens them up again. You will need to hold the piggy firmly as they will try and get away. Has your vet given you syringes to use for flushing the abscess? x

I find the best way to deal with an abscess is to use the flat cotton wool pads (make up remover pads), Simon gives me saline, but some cooled boiled water is fine too. Dip the pads in the water and be quite aggressive in how you rub at the abscess site. This often opens them up again. You will need to hold the piggy firmly as they will try and get away. Has your vet given you syringes to use for flushing the abscess? x

No... Only gave me a wash for the area... She did say to clean the area and squeeze anything out. Only have syringes for her medication.

Rub the area quite abrasively and see if you can get it to re-open and then try and squeeze the pus out. It is important that it is kept open as it needs to heal from the inside outwards. If it heals with pus inside then you will be back to square one. I suggest cleaning it at least twice a day, but more often if you possibly can.

OH has agreed to try again tomorrow but is putting his foot down if cannot open it again, he doesn't want to upset and hurt Rambo. She will need to go back to the vet

aww healing wheeks to the lovely Rambo :drool:
Hope u can get her sorted quickly :)
Have u managed to open up the abcess again or have u had to resort to another vet visit?

Good luck &speedy recovery gorgeous Rambo.

From the girls &I xx

aww healing wheeks to the lovely Rambo :drool:
Hope you can get her sorted quickly :)
Have you managed to open up the abcess again or have you had to resort to another vet visit?

Good luck &speedy recovery gorgeous Rambo.

From the girls &I xx

Tried to open this morning but no joy, it looks all red and sore so didn't want to cause her anymore pain. She's had her Baytril, wash and metacam (she looked pretty stoned after that). Will take her to the vet tomorrow. But I think it has gotten a little smaller...

Healing vibes for Rambo. I can totally relate, my Yuri has an abcess in roughly the same place but the vets are adament they cant drain it because theyve said it will just keep
coming back. We've been on baytrill for nearly 2 weeks hoping it will shrink it but doesn't seem to be working :(
I've been told the only 2 options really are surgery to remove it or leave it if I don't want to put Yuri through surgery due to risks

Been to the vet and had it drained again this is the third time and it came out brown... an improvement to yellow
The vet has suggested lancing... she's given me a quote just a case now of deciding the best cause of action

Love to Rambo Jess with whatever you decide to do x

I hope she continues to get well. Would lancing be done under a GA?

It will be yes... I've decided I'm going to book it in, draining isn't working and she's still eating but struggling to clean herself and I think she's been eating her cage mates poops too

Think that is the right choice Jess. Vibes to beautiful Rambo x

One of the pods inside the abscess burst about 15 mins ago :vom:

The smell oh God...

Shes fine :) we've cleaned her up, gave her a bath and some treats for being good. She's got an open wound now and have flushed the abscess with salt water.

All the snugs have traces of brown abscess juice on them and I stink of the stuff. So glad they are inside now :)

Poor baby :( She is lucky to have you and Robert looking after her x

its a grim smell isnt it! So glad she is OK. Does this perhaps mean that she wont need the operation?x

Poor Robert was about to throw up! The lump has gone back to the original size it was before draining but it's great I suppose in a sense that I can flush it out. The vet thinks the abscess has seperated into pods so hopefully that one will burst when it's ready. Stopped the Baytril today to give her a break dunno whether to put her back on it as the liquid is brown now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back