• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ralfie is staying at the emergency vets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you go out in the morning,wash the urine off the backside,no need to bath him,just sponge the urine off.Dry thoroughly,you could use a hairdryer.Then apply the cream.Do this again as soon as you get home in the evening,and then again before you go to bed.

I take it that you are nursing him on a vet bed?.

Check the pads on his feet as well,because they could get sore from urine.You could put a barrier cream on them as well.

Ok thanks mary, yes he's on vetbed but he wee's directly onto one of his legs. We will do this for him. x

Here's a video to give an idea of how he's using them, he starts off with good intentions but ends up dragging them or walking on the tops of his feet as you can probably see. and there's a gorgeous picture of him when we were bicycling (sp?) his legs.

DSC02734.jpg

Love Emma x

P.S. he isn't wet underneath it's the cream x

What a gorgeous piggy :)

I think you are doing everything you can for him, now its just time.

awwww poor little darling! He's trying bless him! And what a gorgeous piccie! :smitten:

have you thought about hydrotherapy? Wonder if the vet could advise anything about this? 98)

hi piggyloon, we tried swimming therapy twice and he just doesn't seem to recognise that his back end is in the water, its like they move through instinct when he's walking but he doesn't know where he's putting them. The vets were very unhelpful, they said to give him a week and if he hasnt improved its kinder to pts because he would have low quality of life :( x

by the looks of it though he seems to be progressing well though - in comparison to before. O0 vets eh?! ::) he might need longer than a week to recover so I wouldnt be too hasty - but can see their point in a way. :-\ really hope it doesnt come to that....

Dont give up Emma! ;)

Helen, Ruby and Dilys x

We're not giving up :) and we're giving him more than a week, unless he takes a turn for the worse we're not going to think about pts, but if it gets painful and he gets sores etc and he gets unhappy but atm he's ok and happy so we couldn't get him pts, we're going to take him to a different vets tomorrow about his little sore/lump, hope thats nothing seriosu, he doesn't like us touching it x

The lump has just burst as my mum picked him up, she touched it 2 see if it felt like a build up of poo maybe as it had gotten bigger, and A LOT of white/yellow creamy goo with traces of blood came out which absolutely stunk. Could it be an abscess or something, it just smelt so foul. He didnt flinch or anything as it was coming out. Any ideas please? x

My piggy Ben damaged one of his front legs. Not really sure how, the only thing i can think is he caught a nail in his chair there was a small rip in the fabric) and had damaged his leg trying to free it. When I first noticed he was dragging himself along I was really worried. This happened back in July. After about 10 days he was walking more normally, although his leg continued to be stiff and its still improving bit by bit now. I massage his leg while i am watching TV and i really think this has helped. He also had a little anti-inflammatory for the first couple of weeks. Although he looks a little awkward when walking it doesn't bother him at all and to be honest he can get around as quickly as any of the other piggies.

I am sure given time Ralfie will be getting around much better!

I have a Ralfie too, and he sends lots of love to your Ralfie :smitten:

He's a gorgeous piggy :smitten: :smitten:

Love Debbie xx

Does sound like an abscess, clean all the pus out. If you have a syringe then flush it out with cooled boiled water.

Thanks debbie, it's nice to know that others have improved and there's a possiblity he'll improve. Karen how do we flush it? we're scared of hurting him and think the hole it came out of has healed now. is this because of his legs or just totally unrelated? thanks for all the help x

Then maybe it wasn't an abscess, was it pimple size or bigger?

Flushing is just squirting water into the wound and getting pus out. I also use a blue Canula because it gets into the wound deeper.

Hi love, i've just sent you a huge email... sorry.... but its full of advice, encouragement and ideas from my US and some UK friends.
Have a read and i hope it will help you out.
Loves to Ralfie :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Ok i'll have a look now Glynis thanks, Karen i think it was an abscess, it started out at about 6 as a small red mark about the size of a spot then it started swelling underneath and gradually got bigger, and he whimpered when we touched it, then my mum touched it at about half ten and it just burst and loads of pus came out that stunk, she got some more out before he went to bed and we're taking him the vets today over it x

What a brave little man, you're so right to give him every chance, he's obvioulsy a little fighter and is responding well to your TLC - well done to you, your mum ( what a star mum for helping!) and of course the brave little man :-*

My mum has completely took over (as they do in a crisis) i still do a lot for him but he's her baby now because she blames herself, if anything happens to him she'll be devastated. I'm looking after the girls more now because they've been a bit neglected lately in terms of run time and cuddles! x

how is he this morning? and how are you coping ? he looks such a little fighter we are all rooting for him , I'm sure your girls understand I think animals can sense things like that :)
take care S x

They're still their usual loonatic selves so i think the girls are ok! Ralfie is the same as ever this morning, he's not in pain by looks of it and eating etc fine. We're getting him some vitamin C today because we've been told it may help him and taking him the vets over his abscess but that's not swollen today, hopefully he'll be ok, it's just going to take time i think. thanks for all the support i'll let you know how he gets on at the vets x

there's nothing wrong with his front paw it's just the way he's lying you can only see half of it xx

I just love that pic of him, he looks like he is smiling, he is absolutely gorgeous :smitten:
His mobility in the video didnt look bad at all, he can get around quite well, bless him :smitten: :smitten:

yer he does get around quite well, its pitiful to watch though poor little thing. we've been the vets with his abscess, just gotta give him antib's and flush it and if it doesn't improve he's gunna need an op to get rid of it :( poor little things been through so much in the last week! and he does look like he's smiling all the time :) x

I think he looks like he's waving to all of us :smitten:((waving back ))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back