Pre Bonding Behaviour

Xerox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone can help me with some pre bonding behaviours.

I have a 3 year old widowed female and 1 year old male. The male is from a rescue and has been in quarantine due to the 6 week neturing wait and can be introduced to my sow shortly.

I have them both in c&c cages and have been putting the cages closer together so they can see and smell each other.

Since being more face to face the male rumble struts in front of her (sometimes with popcorns) stands on his 2 legs trying to get over the bars, (don't worry I'm watching.), and makes an almost squeal/whining sound upfront of her.

Sow seems to curious, and watches through the bars.

What is the male guinea pig doing? Is he feeling threatened or just a young boy full of emotion.

I am not one of the experts but as a slave to teenage boars it sounds like he is showing the pretty ladypig what a handsome hunk of a boar he is and enjoying himself. 😍

Phew! Boys are character's! :luv:

Thank you so much. I've was a little worried he was getting upset, but he was never chatting his teeth, bitting bars or hiding away, and I thought my sow would have more reaction if the behaviour was negative. Glad he just showing off. 🕺

I will take a look at the boy/girl guide for what to expect next!

Can't wait for the next installment!
When did he visit the plum fairy?
Do you have pigtures?
What are their names?
My beastie boys say he is a lucky boy to be getting a wife!
IMG-20231110-WA0001.webp

Hiya!

He was neutered by the rescue 7 weeks ago!

We are actually trying bonding today, the first hour had lots of mounting and rumble strutting but I think he is learning to stop, and that he is not boss.

Its nearly been 3 hours and thet are currently they are both in their hides having a little rest. 😬

Sounding positive! Good luck I hope all continues to go well and they have a happy life together.

Thanks, we actually decided to give it a break for today.

After their rest, It felt the behaviour was turning a bit negative with them both teeth chattering, squabbling over hides, and more hiding from each other, then any interaction.

Thanks, we actually decided to give it a break for today.

After their rest, It felt the behaviour was turning a bit negative with them both teeth chattering, squabbling over hides, and more hiding from each other, then any interaction.

You should not have any hides in the neutral territory bonding pen because it can cause territorial problems and seclusion.
The bonding pen should just be hay and water.
Only add hides once they have moved into the permanent cage but even then you don’t have to - just clipping a blanket over the cage at one end to offer privacy is enough if they aren’t in a position to be able to have hides yet.
Also ensure all hides have two exits

Oh no I was using advice on Facebook guinea pig group and they said 1 hide per pig when bonding which has 2 exits.

They was some great positive interaction initially such as eating together, and following each other, then the hides caused the issue. Do you recommend that they just get hay to burrow in for most the day?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704039591145.webp
    FB_IMG_1704039591145.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 2
Oh no I was using advice on Facebook guinea pig group and they said 1 hide per pig when bonding which has 2 exits.

They was some great positive interaction initially such as eating together, and following each other, then the hides caused the issue. Do you recommend that they just get hay to burrow in for most the day?

I linked in our bonding guide on my original reply earlier in December but here it is again. It explains how to do a bonding and the signs you are looking for.

It’s just hay in the neutral territory pen. When you move them to you cage together you can add hides if they are ready for it but you can leave it longer without hides (just giving hay and then peg a blanket over the top of the cage to create a secluded area but without being a hide is that makes sense)

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Thank you! Feel a bit silly for messing it up today, beyond the guides ive watched more YouTube videos and noticed other people doing it differently! 😭

Hopefully next time, I can get a step further of them being friends. 🧡

Thank you! Feel a bit silly for messing it up today, beyond the guides ive watched more YouTube videos and noticed other people doing it differently! 😭

Hopefully next time, I can get a step further of them being friends. 🧡

Don’t worry. Put them on neutral territory again but this time don’t separate them unless the bonding actually fails.
There is a bit more leeway with a mixed sex bonding but you don’t want to repeatedly introduce and separate as it can cause more harm than good.
It takes two weeks after bonding day for them to fully settle their hierarchy and relationship

HI all,

I am trying again today. They seem to be having a little rest now at either side of the cage.

They seem to eat next each other, but should be seeing any other signs of acceptance?

HI all,

I am trying again today. They seem to be having a little rest now at either side of the cage.

They seem to eat next each other, but should be seeing any other signs of acceptance?

As long as there aren’t any negative behaviours (fighting etc), then they are accepting each other.

I'd say there is domance behaviour to the boar when he gets to close. Nipping, chasing away, teeth chattering. Nose raising. He just squeals to say I'm no harm.

Not sure if this is general behaviour or my sow not being to keen?

I'd say there is domance behaviour to the boar when he gets to close. Nipping, chasing away, teeth chattering. Nose raising. He just squeals to say I'm no harm.

Not sure if this is general behaviour or my sow not being to keen?

I’d say it’s mild dominance at present

Thanks! It's a little scary as getting used to seeing the behaviours, but obviously they need to develop a hierarchy.

Here is a little picture of them standing 30cm in front of each other without having a little grumble, and they took just took a little 3 minute rest together.

1000014922.jpg

First night was an anxious night's sleep, but actually approaching on 48 hours together and they seem to be relaxing into their hierarchy.

Sow seem happy to accept smells and sniffs of him now, and they eat very close to each other now without any annoyed sounds, and seen a few happy jumps.

The sow is having a few nips, when boy does a rumble around her, and in the early days of adding more hides he got kicked out once or twice, but he just moves on.

I think aslong as things continue settling and he doesn't challenge anything, things will be good.

I’m glad to hear things are going well!
It takes them around two weeks together to fully sort themselves out so what you are seeing is normal.
Be prepared for her first season since their bonding, it can sometimes be a bit more dramatic so you may see a bit of an increase for a few days

I’m glad to hear things are going well!
It takes them around two weeks together to fully sort themselves out so what you are seeing is normal.
Be prepared for her first season since their bonding, it can sometimes be a bit more dramatic so you may see a bit of an increase for a few days
Thanks for the heads up, just had a little teeth chattering session but nothing progressed besides the sound from both of them, and they gave each other space instead of reacting any further.

Now they are snoozing in the same area as each other, so imagine they are not feeling to threatened. 😅

Hello,

7 days in and they are still together. Generally I'm seeing being much more confident in each other company.

I did have to take them our of their cage for a deep clean, so my partner gave them a bit of lap time together on our sofa. Which then means teeth chatting, and a huff of air from my sow. :doh:.

Generally she likes to be centre of attention even with her previous friend on lap time. How should I navigate outside cage time when they are still bonding? Is this still to be expected?

Also to note they are back in their cage, and seem perfectly happy nibbling on hay, running about, and being side by side now...🤨

Hello,

I wanted to ask question on the two weeks to sort themselves out. Can it take longer?

I am in week 3, and still seeing domance behaviour such as teeth chattering, nipping, jabbing mainly to the boar when he comes into the sows space.

Boar wants to be where the sow is. I can only describe it as that little brother that likes to annoy, and then he walks of whining.

They eat hay together, and there are also good interactions also there has been no fights, blood, fur pulling, I don't want to separate to soon.

Any advise if this Is normal still? Fear aggression or just different um matched characters.

It all sounds perfectly normal. No grounds to separate. It sounds as if he is accepting it when she says no (the whining as he walks off) so that is good.

You are going to see dominance throughout their entire lives together as it is how they function and reaffirm their relationship.

She is only going to let him near her when she is ready. A dominant sow will only let a boar mount her when she is in season.

Back