Potentially Dangerous Cage Accessories And Toys

Not sure if this is the correct place to post the thread, but I wanted to make people aware of the danger of the Gnaw play block from Pets at Home! (UK)

I have four beautiful piggies but tonight it almost became three. Saturday (Yesterday) I bought two large gnaw blocks, I filled the blocks with their favourite treats and hay. This was what was suggested on the Label as well as the label stating it is suitable for rabbits and guinea pigs and promotes natural behaviour!

So I bought two! But I bought them from the shop, so naturally I didn’t check the online reviews... which has so many awful reviews on the danger of this block. My baby Gaz, got his head stuck so tightly that It took bolt cutters to break the block to get him out! My first thought was to take him to the Vet but in all honestly I didn’t think we had time. I feel as guilty as anything as I checked on them this morning and they were fine and then I was out and checked on them as soon as I got back... I am so thankful I got to him when I did. Sadly he is not out of the woods and I can only hope he is okay in the morning.

I’m so upset, he is sitting on my lap now on a towel and seems okay!

6FC0EA7C-D72F-4B9E-87FB-7241B120F038.webp

7F835DC3-6C77-4B15-BFB9-C2B19C99C6DE.webp

CA1BB98D-6ACC-481A-8289-FB8CE0264DE2.webp
Please do not buy this product! I will be writing a strongly worded letter to Pets at Home first thing tomorrow!

Not sure if this is the correct place to post the thread, but I wanted to make people aware of the danger of the Gnaw play block from Pets at Home! (UK)

I have four beautiful piggies but tonight it almost became three. Saturday (Yesterday) I bought two large gnaw blocks, I filled the blocks with their favourite treats and hay. This was what was suggested on the Label as well as the label stating it is suitable for rabbits and guinea pigs and promotes natural behaviour!

So I bought two! But I bought them from the shop, so naturally I didn’t check the online reviews... which has so many awful reviews on the danger of this block. My baby Gaz, got his head stuck so tightly that It took bolt cutters to break the block to get him out! My first thought was to take him to the Vet but in all honestly I didn’t think we had time. I feel as guilty as anything as I checked on them this morning and they were fine and then I was out and checked on them as soon as I got back... I am so thankful I got to him when I did. Sadly he is not out of the woods and I can only hope he is okay in the morning.

View attachment 116422

View attachment 116423

View attachment 116424
Please do not buy this product! I will be writing a strongly worded letter to Pets at Home first thing tomorrow!
Make sure you post the photo aswell. Pack some punch behind that letter or email. Glad you cut him free 👍

View attachment 116422

View attachment 116423

View attachment 116424

Thank goodness you managed to cut him free! Did you hear back from PAH?

OMG I'm a new piggy owner and I have bought a few things mentioned in this post thinking I was spoiling my boys, but now I realise I am putting them at risk of harm! So glad I joined this website! I'll be removing them as soon as I finish writing this then I'll be looking for safer, homemade toys. Thanks guys!

Thank goodness you managed to cut him free! Did you hear back from PAH?

I did, I got a refund for the products and was told it was something they were looking into! Wasn’t too happy with it so the battle is ongoing! I will keep you all updated on my progress. Really want rid of this product!

OMG I'm a new piggy owner and I have bought a few things mentioned in this post thinking I was spoiling my boys, but now I realise I am putting them at risk of harm! So glad I joined this website! I'll be removing them as soon as I finish writing this then I'll be looking for safer, homemade toys. Thanks guys!

You may find this link here interesting! You can do a lot with very simple stuff or just by making the normal veg and pellet time fun for the piggies so they have to work for their food for enrichment. An apple, pear or willow branch will do for gnawing. Toilet rolls, paper bags (any handles cut through), cardboard boxes etc. are time tested toys that also apply to the piggy inclination for destruction and environmentally a lot friendlier, too!
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

Yes, toilet roll empties stuffed with treats, cardboard boxes, B&M do a nice edible hay roller for cheap, good ideas on this forum also..Nothing with wires, just be aware of the sharp wires that some of these toys have..horrendous things. In saying that the log house has wires, but the wood is that thick, but a wee daily check does wonders..common sense applies in whole also!

A photo is being shared on FB of a guinea pig with it's head stuck in a veggie ball

View attachment 41042

I would like to remind people of 2 old threads too

Hay/veggie Balls - Warning.

Hay Rack Warning

We have also had reported incidents of guinea pigs getting their heads stuck in Guinea Pig Toys such as loofah rings and toilet roll tubes. . This is easily solved by splitting the ring before using.
Lucky I joined the forum! I was going to buy one of these for my Mimi and Creamie!

Yes, toilet roll empties stuffed with treats, cardboard boxes, B&M do a nice edible hay roller for cheap, good ideas on this forum also..Nothing with wires, just be aware of the sharp wires that some of these toys have..horrendous things. In saying that the log house has wires, but the wood is that thick, but a wee daily check does wonders..common sense applies in whole also!
Will my pigs get sick of they chew the cardboard?

View attachment 116422

View attachment 116423

View attachment 116424
Poor thing! I hope he is ok :-(

I must add that the dried corn on the cobbs have become stuck on my guinea pigs 2 bottom teeth before, It happened to my Jerry years ago so I never bought them again and we recieved some as Christmas presents so I put them in the cages when I was supervising the guineas and a piece of corn became stuck ony francis's bottom teeth too so please be aware of this happening if your unsure of what I mean I will upload a picture of them so please be aware of this View attachment 41723
Oh dear, I just bought some for my piggies - I haven't given it to them yet, but is it OK as a treat? (I can't take it back) :(

Oh dear, I just bought some for my piggies - I haven't given it to them yet, but is it OK as a treat? (I can't take it back) :(

I have made the same experience that they get stuck very easily on piggy teeth. Generally they are a waste of money and were mostly ignored by any piggies of mine in the olden days. Sweetcorn is also high in sugar; it is the equivalent of a bar of chocolate.

Herbal forage is a much better, interesting and healthier treat if you want to treat. However, turning regular feeding time into fun time and making your piggies work for their food is a lot cheaper, more entertaining and definitely more stimulating for your piggies!
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

FA70B60A-2B1E-4981-9A7D-03A38E5B8628.webp We came home today and knew something was wrong when got to the front door as we could hear one of our babies screaming. We came in to find she had knocked this rack down and had her head stuck in.I’m so so thankful she is ok, but it must have been the most horrible shock for her and I have to say rather a horrible shock for her humans too! Please avoid!

View attachment 156776 We came home today and knew something was wrong when got to the front door as we could hear one of our babies screaming. We came in to find she had knocked this rack down and had her head stuck in.I’m so so thankful she is ok, but it must have been the most horrible shock for her and I have to say rather a horrible shock for her humans too! Please avoid!

I am glad that your girl is unharmed!
The ribs in that hay rack are indeed spaced far to far apart and are an accident waiting happen, unfortunately. :(

View attachment 156776 We came home today and knew something was wrong when got to the front door as we could hear one of our babies screaming. We came in to find she had knocked this rack down and had her head stuck in.I’m so so thankful she is ok, but it must have been the most horrible shock for her and I have to say rather a horrible shock for her humans too! Please avoid!
Thank goodness your girl is ok. Thank you for the warning x

I've luckily never had any dangerous experiences with my piggies getting stuck, but I did recently have a rather unpleasant experience with Pets at Home, which I try to avoid and have even more reason to do so now.
Was given a chew toy from them and was disappointed to discover the entire thing seemed to be held together with hot glue. I'm glad I checked it over before giving it to them, they might've choked or gotten sick. It's really unfortunate how little care there is in chain petstores for safety, especially for small pets.
I've also noticed that a lot of tubes and houses marketed towards guinea pigs tend to be cramped and sometimes far too small, I'm guessing because they like to market guinea pigs as being smaller than they really are to tempt more people to buy them.
Mostly nowadays I use homemade chew toys, they're simple enough and have proven to be far safer.

I agree Capy - I bought a rosewood toy ‘rattle’ but (I always examine things before my boys get them ) the end tassel came away and lots of black ‘peppercorn’ size balls fell out ! I returned it. I think you are right Capy homemade chew toys/ play toys are best .... you cannot beat a box of hay or a brown paper bag 😀

Hello my fellow piggie lovers!
So something very frightening happened the other day and I want to share it with you all!
Attached is an image of the toy that almost blinded my poor boy Benji...

Came home to find Benji (acting normal) but had a completely clouded over eye! :( I'm new to the town I live in so I didnt know of any vets open late in the area (it was 8:30pm). While Mom was looking for an emergency vet open late, I was checking over Benji. Thats when I noticed something in the back corner of his eye... A hair? Quickly I call Mom over and told her to grab tweezers to pull the "hair" out.... A 1inch chunk of Twine from a "guinea pig friendly chew toy" was pulled from his eye. We quickly rushed him to a vet who took amazing care of him. $200 worth of eye drops and 7 days later Benji is making a slow recovery and cloudiness is almost clear... DR. Ben said had he been left an hour later, he might have lost his eye...

So Story summary, DO NOT USE TWINED TOYS! i was only out of the house for 2 hours tops and thats how much damage it did :(
View attachment 46440

i’m so sorry to jump on this post but how awful! is twine the string thats holding this together? i hope he made a full recovery!

Gosh that’s awful piggymummy03x - you acted quickly so well done. I’m sure Benji will recover well after your care and Dr Ben’s. I find my boys love a paper bag ( that they can eat too) full of hay/ forage food - also toilet rolls filled with hay makes an easy play toy. Take care
Thank you for warning us too

Gosh that’s awful piggymummy03x - you acted quickly so well done. I’m sure Benji will recover well after your care and Dr Ben’s. I find my boys love a paper bag ( that they can eat too) full of hay/ forage food - also toilet rolls filled with hay makes an easy play toy. Take care
Thank you for warning us too

hiya sorry for the late reply! it wasn’t actually me or my piggie that experienced this, i had just commented on the post. thanks for the paper bag idea! i’m trying to get some currently but worried about if they are sprayed / coated in anything!

A photo is being shared on FB of a guinea pig with it's head stuck in a veggie ball

View attachment 41042

I would like to remind people of 2 old threads too

Hay/veggie Balls - Warning.

Hay Rack Warning

We have also had reported incidents of guinea pigs getting their heads stuck in Guinea Pig Toys such as loofah rings and toilet roll tubes. . This is easily solved by splitting the ring before using.
totally agree! we were advised by someone at the pet shop to buy this and for my last piggies it was great, however this time round the little chain had broken and fallen into the cage, luckily found it before anything happened x

hiya sorry for the late reply! it wasn’t actually me or my piggie that experienced this, i had just commented on the post. thanks for the paper bag idea! i’m trying to get some currently but worried about if they are sprayed / coated in anything!
Look in the supermarket for paper lunch or sandwich bags.
Anything designed to be used with food for human consumption will be safe.

I thought I'd best let everyone know about the potential dangers of 'willow balls' (https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/woodlands-medium-willow-twist-ball).

WoodlandsWillowTwistBall.webp

About 7 years ago, one of my guinea pigs managed to get his head stuck inside the ball (they'd chewed a hole in it), and we had to use secateurs to get him out. He was absolutely fine, thank goodness, but only because I was in the room when he got stuck. It was terrifying at the time, but looking back on it now we joke about his 'astronaut helmet' incident.

To be honest, willow balls are pretty rubbish enrichment anyway- it only really got in the pigs' way when they were running around. Hay in a cardboard tube is much better :)

Moral of the story: guinea pigs can get stuck in much smaller gaps than you think they can...

I thought I'd best let everyone know about the potential dangers of 'willow balls' (https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/woodlands-medium-willow-twist-ball).

View attachment 225286

About 7 years ago, one of my guinea pigs managed to get his head stuck inside the ball (they'd chewed a hole in it), and we had to use secateurs to get him out. He was absolutely fine, thank goodness, but only because I was in the room when he got stuck. It was terrifying at the time, but looking back on it now we joke about his 'astronaut helmet' incident.

To be honest, willow balls are pretty rubbish enrichment anyway- it only really got in the pigs' way when they were running around. Hay in a cardboard tube is much better :)

Moral of the story: guinea pigs can get stuck in much smaller gaps than you think they can...
Thanks for the warning !

Back