• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Popcorn Died Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduardo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Very sad situation this evening at home, our guinea pig Popcorn died very suddenly. This morning he seemed to be ok, he was eating normally like every other day along with his adoptive brother Jimmy but in the afternoon things went wrong, he was making real short whimper sounds and was not moving at all in his cage. I picked him up and he seemed to be in pain when I touched the sides of his abdomen. We took him to the vet ER right away and they said that he was very bloated with a lot of gas and after a little while the nurse rushed in stating that he was not doing very well so they opted for making an incision in his abdomen to release the gas but he went into what it seemed like cardiac arrest and he died in a matter of minutes. Very upsetting moments...we really loved him a lot, he was a lot of fun to be around.
Now we are concerned that Jimmy is by himself and don't really know what to do.

I am so sorry to hear you have lost one of your guinea pigs.

Are you based in the UK or US?

I'm so sorry, bloat can strike very quickly and out of the blue. Sweet dreams Popcorn.

I'm really sorry. What a distressing thing, and there was nothing more that you could possibly have done.
It could be worth keeping a very close eye on your Jimmy and checking his veggies. Some are especially sensitive to bloat, but being as they've had the same diet it may be worth keeping a close watch. I'm not being accusatory over their diet by the way.
How is Jimmy? Some cope better than others when they have lost their cage-mate. Some grieve, some get on with things.
I know it's very soon for thinking about this, especially when you are reeling from your own loss, but will you be able to get Jimmy a new cage-mate?
If so the forum has plenty of tips on bonding for boars. x

BIG HUGS!

I am ever so sorry! What a nightmare for you! Sadly, severe bloat can come on very quickly and it is always a toss up whether a piggy can pull through or not, irrespective of you doing everything you can. It is always such a heart-breaking shock when it happens.

As to what you can do for Jimmy: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Could you please add your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can help you better? We have got members from all over the world, so any further advice has to depend on your local options, which vary most widely. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

I'm really sorry for you sad loss. I have suffered several losses & know how you must be feeling.

If you are not too far from me, I do have at least one solo male looking for a friend & you could bring Jimmy to see if they will be OK together. I also have some babies coming in but not certain of the sexes until tomorrow.

BIG HUGS!

I am ever so sorry! What a nightmare for you! Sadly, severe bloat can come on very quickly and it is always a toss up whether a piggy can pull through or not, irrespective of you doing everything you can. It is always such a heart-breaking shock when it happens.

Could you please add your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can help you better? We have got members from all over the world, so any further advice has to depend on your local options, which vary most widely. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!
BIG HUGS!

Thank you Wiebke, we are in CA usa, i updated my profile now

I am so very sorry to read this, what an awful shock. Please feel free to leave a memorial to your little on in our rainbow bridge section

RIP Popcorn
x x

I'm really sorry for you sad loss. I have suffered several losses & know how you must be feeling.

If you are not too far from me, I do have at least one solo male looking for a friend & you could bring Jimmy to see if they will be OK together. I also have some babies coming in but not certain of the sexes until tomorrow.
I'm in California,
I am so sorry to hear about that, it must be a horrible shock and I'm sure you miss him very much.

This thread will be helpful on how to help Jimmy for the time being: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

Again, I'm so sorry to read that. :hug:x
Thank you!

thank you. Where are you at?

I'm really sorry. What a distressing thing, and there was nothing more that you could possibly have done.
It could be worth keeping a very close eye on your Jimmy and checking his veggies. Some are especially sensitive to bloat, but being as they've had the same diet it may be worth keeping a close watch. I'm not being accusatory over their diet by the way.
How is Jimmy? Some cope better than others when they have lost their cage-mate. Some grieve, some get on with things.
I know it's very soon for thinking about this, especially when you are reeling from your own loss, but will you be able to get Jimmy a new cage-mate?
Thanks for the thoughts, Jimmy, do far seems OK, he is smelling more my hand. I hope he stays ok

Very sad situation this evening at home, our guinea pig Popcorn died very suddenly. This morning he seemed to be ok, he was eating normally like every other day along with his adoptive brother Jimmy but in the afternoon things went wrong, he was making real short whimper sounds and was not moving at all in his cage. I picked him up and he seemed to be in pain when I touched the sides of his abdomen. We took him to the vet ER right away and they said that he was very bloated with a lot of gas and after a little while the nurse rushed in stating that he was not doing very well so they opted for making an incision in his abdomen to release the gas but he went into what it seemed like cardiac arrest and he died in a matter of minutes. Very upsetting moments...we really loved him a lot, he was a lot of fun to be around.
Now we are concerned that Jimmy is by himself and don't really know what to do.

I want to thank all those nice folks in the UK for their kind and warm comments/wishes. Though our piggy was a small pet he meant a lot to us and it really made an impact in our lives. Specially a very sad thing for our son as Popcorn was his birthday present 3 1/2 years ago. We loved watching Popcorn running around and Pop-corning in a very silly way chasing his baby brother Jimmy. I feel a knot in my throat...

Do you have a link to look at for "tips on bonding for boars"?

So sorry for your loss.

They may be small but they leave a big hole in your heart when they are no longer there.

Sending 'hugs' to you and your son and of course Jimmy.

Popcorn free now Popcorn xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back