• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Please help, baby Fuzzy isn't well

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiep

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I checked Fuzzy this evening he was lethargic and making a clicking sound when he breathed, and panting. We rushed him to the vets who has given him a shot of antibiotic and steroids. He listened to his chest and said he could have an infection, and to bring him back again tomorrow. He didn't seem paticularly pessimistic or imply that it was very serious.. Anyway we brought him home, he toddled over to one corner and flopped, and has been there since (3hrs ago now). His breathing seems slightly easier but is still making clicking noises, also he hasn't eaten anything or moved much.

Does anyone know what is wrong with him and if there is anything we can do? Am desparately worried. :(

I'm so sorry I can't help but hope there will be someone on line soon to help,sending you positive vibes :)

Sorry to hear Fuzzy is unwell. I really think this sounds like pneumonia. When my piggy, Hannah, had pneumonia she was very poorly and I really didn't think she would make it. However, she got better after a course of antibiotics. I would speak to the vet about whether he thinks this is what it could be when you see him tomorrow. In the meantime keep Fuzzy warm. I really hope he starts to improve soon.

Perhaps put a hot water bottle in too as keeping warm is important. Also if Fuzzy isn't drinking it is vitally important you get as much fluids into him as possible - the vet had told us when a guinea pig isn't drinking, you need to give a minimum of 55 syringe full or water a day or something on those lines... (Which I know, is virtually impossible unless put on a drip however just give as much as possible)

Chemists have them and sometimes you can get them in children's medicine such as Nurofen.

When syringe feeding water, you need to make sure you don't syringe the water in too quickly as the water can get onto the lungs which can then cause a guinea pig to make the clicking noise. If you haven't got a syringe perhaps put water on a tea spoon and see if he takes it from that.

I'm so sorry to hear baby Fuzzy is poorly :smitten: :smitten:

I haven't any advice, I so wish I had

But I really hope he gets well and am sending positive vibes :)

Thanks, he is on a snugglepad wrapped up warm. he is opening his mouth gasping - poor mite. We have tried dripping water into his mouth and from our fingers - he licked some but that was it. I'll try with the teaspoon.
Does it sound bad? Taking him back to the vets tomorrow am.
How would he have caught pneumonia? (We got him last weekend from P@H)

katiep said:
Thanks, he is on a snugglepad wrapped up warm. he is opening his mouth gasping - poor mite. We have tried dripping water into his mouth and from our fingers - he licked some but that was it. I'll try with the teaspoon.
Does it sound bad? Taking him back to the vets tomorrow am.
How would he have caught pneumonia? (We got him last weekend from P@H)

Hannah was gasping for air too. Her mouth was very wide open. It was really scary. She did pick up fairly quickly once she was established on the antibiotics although it took quite a few weeks before her breathing went back to normal. Not sure how they catch it? Is your vet fairly experienced with guinea pigs? When Hannah had it there was another drug they gave her in addition to the antibiotic. Can't remember what it was - it began with a D - maybe someone else might know. Maybe text Vedra at the CCT and ask her what the best treatment for pneumonia is.

I really hope he will be ok! x

Thank you, it is scary the way he is gasping. We have tried to get a little water into him with a spoon - think we got a bit down him.
Will call the vets tomorrow and ask how soon we can take him in for another jab. He is booked in at 6pm but will try and get him in earlier. They seems quite good with piggies and rabbits at the vets.. wil also get some syringes.

I'm really sorry Fuzzy's not well Katie, sending him get well wishes & thinking of you :smitten:

The chances are he was ill when you got him which is a very common thing with pet shop pigs, I'm afraid. Just one of many of the "joys" of purchasing one.

Make sure he's eating, too, as he will need syringe fed if he's not eating.

Poor baby!

If he shows no improvement he'll need to go straight back to the vets tomorrow as in my experience they usually need a whole course of oral antibiotics as well as the injection to clear URI's. He will need probiotics too otherwise the antibiotics will upset his little tum.

I would go online to Thistle Cavies shop and order yourself some critical care, bio lapis and syringes so you have them in if you need them. If he doesn't start to eat and drink in the next few hours you will have to start syringe feeding to keep his system running properly until he is better.

Do keep us updated!

Ask for a decongestant too like Bisolvon, this'll clear the chest so the antibiotics can work. Putting them in a room full of steam can help too- pans of boiling water- but must see the vet ASAP. I'd just take him first thing as an emergency and demand (in the nicest possible way) to be seen. He sounds very weak to go a whole day without seeing anyone.

Well he is still with us - his breathing seems a bit better, not clicking or gasping, and I saw him nibble a bit of straw, but still not drinking. OH has stayed off work and going to get him an appointment at the vets this morning. I will order those things from Thistle Cavies - thanks.

OH took Fuzzy in to the vets first thing - he had another jab - and squealed really loud, which the vet said was a good sign as last night he didn't make any noise when he had his jab. The vet has also given him some fluids with a syringe, which he gulped down and had seconds, and has said he needs to be fed regularly throughout the day - OH has to go to work and I am already in work so the vets have kept him in and they will feed and water him - I am so relieved he is getting some food and fluids and is being looked after, I have been so worried all day. The vet said his nose doesn't seem blocked up - the vicks must have worked last night.
Does it sound like he is over the worst?
Have ordered some syringes and Critical care for delivery tomorrow, will make sure I am always prepared in future. Felt so guilty for not havuing stuff to hand last night. :( Poor little baby.

Sounds like he is getting good treatment. Crossing fingers and toes he will pull through. I know it doesnt seem important to you at the moment with Fuzzy being so poorly, but once he is on the mend, keep your vets bills and demand some compensation from p @ h as he must have had this at the pet shop..they should pay, not you :tickedoff:

More important to get Fuzzy better right now though :)

Aw, poor beautiful baby Fuzzy :(

You've done all you can, I'm sure he'll be fine soon. I would say 'try not to worry' but I know if it was one of mine I'd be in bits too. At least he's at the vet and being cared for while you and your OH are at work which must be such a relief.

Lavenderjade makes a VERY good point about the vet fees!

Good vibes and good luck to the very lovely baby Fuzzy O0

Aw thank you, I just hope he starts to improve now that he is getting drinks and medecine..

Does anyone know how long it takes a piggie to recover from a chest infection or pneumonia?
I am so glad we have a good vet nearby.

Fingers crossed!

lavenderjade said:
Sounds like he is getting good treatment. Crossing fingers and toes he will pull through. I know it doesnt seem important to you at the moment with Fuzzy being so poorly, but once he is on the mend, keep your vets bills and demand some compensation from p @ h as he must have had this at the pet shop..they should pay, not you :tickedoff:

More important to get Fuzzy better right now though :)

Actually P@H will pay the vets bill if you keep the reicept I had a piggy year or so ago who had ear mites I took him to the vet (my vet) kept the bill and complained to P@H and they just paid up straight away - no fuss, but do it soon as you need to do it within the 7 days that you bought him if you can, but I'm sure if you go there with your reicept for him and the vets bill they will help you.
Before anyone jumps I'm not sticking up for P@H just helping and pointing out that they CAN be helpful!

Thanks Piglover, I will think about it as he has mites too, and a manky ear, and a scab on his cheek probably from a bite, which I noticed within days and took him to the vets for. Poor baby!

Thanks Julie, he's at the vets, we will go and pick him up at 6 and see how he is doing. I really really hope he recovers - doesn't bear thinking about otherwise. I have got very attached to him and Scruffy!

Sorry to hear about baby Fuzzy. Hope he recovers soon. At least you know he is being cared for while you are both at work today.

All the best to you & Fuzzy for a swift recovery O0

Katy,

As the lungs are congested try giving Fuzzy 0.3mls of Sudafed,the one formulated for children..The other option would be to ask your vet for some Frusimide,but the lungs do need to be cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back