Plans So Far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive the liberta 150cm cage,it is very sturdy and has a shelf/ messane,i used a cat scratcher made from carpet to tie over the ramp,change as needed,£3 from PAH.I place puppy pads over wire floor,then a thick fleece liner.i have a small litter tray i line with megazorb,and hay.i have a corner wooden house on top of the fleece.in the base i use newspaper and Aubiose,the plastic tray is deep so it keeps all the substrate in. I bought my cage from pet planet,it has a stand with it.easy to clean.i will take some pictures if it helps.It is exciting getting new piggies.:)

So happy for you! It sounds like your girls will be very happy! Glad you got the cage worked out, but I just wanted to mention that a three story tall cage may be too high if you decide to build up in he future. Piggies do not have any depth perception so one might just jump off the very top of you do not make sure they can't. Also, C&C cages are much cheaper than store bought and store bought are rarely ever big enough.
I use Oxbow food for my pigs. I also use Timothy hay and occasionally some orchard grass hay or mixed hay. Babies can have alfalfa, as somebody else mentioned, but adults will get fat if the have too much alfalfa.
I'm definitely looking forward to pictures! I remember the excitement!

The fleece blankets arrived today and I've put them in the machine (without softener) and will wash them a few more times before I get them set up.

Once the C&C is built I will set it all up and post some photos and see what all of you think and will take any advice/ideas on board.

Looking forward to seeing pics. Also I spent a lot of money on toys for my boys (piggies) and their absolutely favourite toys are cardboard boxes, crumpled up paper balls and toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay. :doh:

I've been saving up toilet roll tubes in preparation. I used to give them to my bunny, stuffed with hay so it's a habit I'm used to :D

I do have a question about water bowls/bottles. My bunny never had a bottle, he would always have a bowl of water. The piggies I'm getting also have a water bowl, not a bottle. Could I just carry on using a bowl when I get them or is it better to try and switch them to a bottle? I use the really heavy ceramic bowls which I doubt they'd tip (my bunny never did).

I don't know about a water bowl. I think most people use water bottles instead of bowls. I know if they are youngsters you need to watch how deep the water is. My Peanut was 10 months when I got him from his previous owner and he came with a bowl of water. I switched him to a bottle no problems.

Tbh I think bottles are better, even my heavy ceramic bowls they managed to tip! But most importantly they'd pee and poop in it... So you'd have to renew fresh water every 2 hours or so which isn't ideal! :))

It's great to hear all your preparations! I was exactly the same as you XD

I have bottles on the door of the hutch, and bowls on the shed floor and dotted round the garden. That way they've got access to water wherever they are, especially with this hot weather. ;)

Advice taken on board. I've ordered a couple of the large glass water bottles but I may put a bowl in the cage as well, to start with, just to make sure they can get to some water, but with one girl being a baby, I will have to make sure it's not too deep or large!

I'm loving the preparations. It's making the time I have to wait, more fun. I'm ordering my C&C and correx in a weeks time then once that is here and set up, I can go collect them all.

Probably going to visit them all tomorrow for some cuddles. I bet little Eileen is growing fast.

Went to see the piggies again today. I'm bringing them home in 1 weeks time! Eeeek! So excited.

Bit of a change of plan, again, with the cage. I've had to go back to the standard cage idea. I'm really not sure how sturdy a C&C cage will be around my 2 dogs. My staffy is a typical staff and is very bouncy. Not at all meaning to be destructive but he is so clumsy and often crashes into thing while playing and I just think for now, I'm going to play it safe and go for a standard cage but, I am going to get some C&C grids and use them to make a run/floor time area and that way I can decide if they would be safe/sturdy enough to use for the piggies main living area.

Still trying to decide what cage to get. Any recommendations. Ideally I would like to keep it under £100. I've been looking at the little friends 140cm x 70cm cage. Would this be ok? Or would 150cm be better? I want to order the cage in the next 2 days.

Went to see the piggies again today. I'm bringing them home in 1 weeks time! Eeeek! So excited.

Bit of a change of plan, again, with the cage. I've had to go back to the standard cage idea. I'm really not sure how sturdy a C&C cage will be around my 2 dogs. My staffy is a typical staff and is very bouncy. Not at all meaning to be destructive but he is so clumsy and often crashes into thing while playing and I just think for now, I'm going to play it safe and go for a standard cage but, I am going to get some C&C grids and use them to make a run/floor time area and that way I can decide if they would be safe/sturdy enough to use for the piggies main living area.

Still trying to decide what cage to get. Any recommendations. Ideally I would like to keep it under £100. I've been looking at the little friends 140cm x 70cm cage. Would this be ok? Or would 150cm be better? I want to order the cage in the next 2 days.
I'm not the most experienced with cage sizes but all I know is they need a large cage with plenty of room for them to move around. Not sure exact sizes.

That's why I'm asking more experienced people if 140cm x 70cm is big enough for 3 sows (2 adults, 1 baby). I could get a 160cm Ferplast cage I've seen on sale but it's only 60cm deep. Is length better than depth?

What size do you have Toast and Beans in?

That's why I'm asking more experienced people if 140cm x 70cm is big enough for 3 sows (2 adults, 1 baby). I could get a 160cm Ferplast cage I've seen on sale but it's only 60cm deep. Is length better than depth?

What size do you have Toast and Beans in?
Not completely sure I got it a while ago now. It's a large double cage though so they literally have 2 big cages lol

Still got the 150 x 75cm cage available if you are interested?

I have had a brain wave. OK, well it wasn't quite my idea but after looking at the commercial cage thread on this forum, I noticed a few people had joined cages together, end to end to create a huge long cage so, I am going to do just that!

I am getting 2 x 100cm long cages that I can join together to form a 200cm long cage which I'm sure 3 piggies will love. Comes in well under budget too. I will use some sort of small bridge/ramp to help the piggies over the joined bases but if they don't like that idea I will cut the bases. Simple! :yahoo:

Definitely not a brain wave. I don't have a brain, it would seem. The C&C I was originally planning would have been 180cm long and that was the maximum room I have. I don't know why I thought 200cm would fit in the space I have :hb: :doh:

I was doing some maths, honestly, this whole cage size thing has been giving me such anxiety issues (I suffer terribly with anxiety and depression, one of the reasons I have pets, they help me so much). I worked out what cage could give me the most floor space in the gap I have, plus fit my budget and it seems the 140cm x 70cm is the only one I can go for right now.

It's ordered and will be here Tuesday. I feel a bit calmer now it's done and I'm sure the pigs will be happy in it. I might add a mezzanine level later but for now, deep breaths, it's done! :crazy:

Also ordered a snugly igloo bed and 2 cuddle cup type things. Going to get a cardboard tube thingy and a bendy bridge from the pet shop when I collect the girls. Also need to get them their food and hay. They are on muesli right now so will have to slowly switch them over. :tu:

Bigger is better!

Well done. It can be ridiculously stressful working out size of set ups.

I have been dithering about for a few days trying to work out a fab cage for my new hamster. Getting the !ovely alexander cage from zooplus ...

It would be great to see some pics when they are all settled in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back