• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Piggie with problems chewing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that would be infection. Usually where dental probs are OD related the teeth will not regrow, or at least they do not grow evenly. This can happen to any guinea- not necessarily Satin and Satins can get OD at any age- a rescue just noted that it was more common in the 12-18 month range.

Satins can lose their Satinisation or be born with just a Satin foot (the mother of one of mine was 'matt' all except for a satinised foot). As the breeder told you that the other had Satin in then I would have thought they'd have told you if Amy was Satin. There's a difference between glossy and the glassiness of Satins :)

Vedra's xrays are not detailed enough to show up OD or not. We have a digital xray machine in Reading which is second to none regarding xrays (puts the price up but its worth it). You are soooo right about anaesthetic, their is a vet in Maidenhead and the Tilehurst surgery Reading who don't use anaesthetic and are used to seeing Satins and OD pigs, they also do teeth without anaesthetic and their is a CCT person here that does dentals and vet referrals when necessary.

I would guess at her mouth being sore and it smells lkike their is an infection, ask Chrissie at Gorgeous Guineas about using both products.
Have looked at the pigtures and she doesn't look Satin :)

Is Reading easily accessible?

Hi Karen,

We're in Dunstable so Reading isn't too far away. I have a call booked with Vedra for 6. Meanwhiule I'll call Chrissie to see what she suggests. If it is an infection in her mouth then would this also mean using an antibiotic such as Baytril?

Thanks.

I think you need to talk to someone about what you can and can't take with other meds :) Talk to Chrissie about the Neem and if it'd be any use.

I think that the best plan will be for a single, knowledgeable person to decide what she should be on. We wouldn't want to give her a cocktail that we invented ourselves! Hopefully Vedra will have some suggestions. As she can't prescribe vet meds I guess we may need to go to see a knowledgeable vet to get meds anyway.

When you say that in Reading you have a digital x-ray. Is that at the Tilehurst surgery or somewhere else? If we decide to drive over to Reading tomorrow which vet is it that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Jenny Towers at the Tilehurst surgery, 19 School Road. To be honest I wouldn't have an xray done as nothing can be done for OD and not for jaw problems I don't think. I don't know if Jenny is on tomorrow so you'd best phone and see. I'll PM you the number as I don't like putting it in the public domain :)

Also, this may just be ordinary teeth probs and arthritis. I had an arthritic sow who eventually needed to be put to sleep, but she bunny hopped and had occasional leg probs from the age of 2 and she was a Matt Guinea :)

Hi Karen,

Thanks once again for the info plus Jenny's number. We too are just keeping our fingers crossed that it's just regular teeth problems. Hopefully she'll start to try fresh veg again one she gets her confidence back when her incisors have grown back enough to meet each other. I've pestered the dentist again to get us a copy of her mouth x-ray in case that is good enough to show anything up.

Other than the bunny hopping Amy doesn't seem to have any mobility problems. Maybe she just finds it quicker to bounce her back end - she's normally so fast and able to take corners at great speed :)

The fishy smell and the dribbling seems to have gone again since lunchtime. I hope it was just a bit of food stuck from this morning that was causing both and during the lunchtime feed it was washed away. Fingers crossed. This evening she's even managed to have a little wander around the lounge which is nice to see.

We'll try not to panic any more and won't keep posting every little change in her condition. You and the other moderators have been so helpful - we should let you get back to other cases.

- Andy & Tessa

Thanks O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back