• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Perry toilet squeaking, blood in urine

I would recommend to keep him on a low once daily maintenance dose of metacam (once daily is enough in milder cases as it also builds up in the body)

I would recommend to look into getting Johnsons 4joints liquid for dogs (UK brand) - the extra glucosamine really helps with the arthritis, as I know from my own arthritic oldies; but it should also help with any discomfort in the urinary tract as it builds up. The liquid has the advantage of being easiest to give.
Thank you. Once daily would be great if he could get down to that.

I’ve not used the 4joints before. What dose is recommended? Perry is still holding his adult weight currently although has slightly bonier shoulders and hips now. He’s around 1.29kg at the moment so still chunky even for a medium-large boar!

Thank you. Once daily would be great if he could get down to that.

I’ve not used the 4joints before. What dose is recommended? Perry is still holding his adult weight currently although has slightly bonier shoulders and hips now. He’s around 1.29kg at the moment so still chunky even for a medium-large boar!

About 0.4 ml a day for a 1 kg piggy. If you have concerns, please discuss with your vet.
It is not a medication but a supplementary product.

I second the 4joints, I've got 2 oldies on it and Metacam. Just watched 6 year old Red popcorn round the cage, rickety but a series of popcorns!

Perry has been off cerenia for a week now and his metacam has been reduced slightly as well.

He’s always been a nice smelling boar but recently he’s had a strong musky smell. He would get this only every once in a while and his usual scent smell would be different. Does this sound like something that could be a concern? Does it tie into any bladder related issues? He’s still having a small amount of recovery food twice a day because it’s the only way he’ll take his metacam so could this be changing his natural odour? Also been trying some different hays at the moment and this scent has a sort of earthy smell to it. Hard to describe.

He’s doing well but I still feel worried and don’t quite know why.

Perry has been off cerenia for a week now and his metacam has been reduced slightly as well.

He’s always been a nice smelling boar but recently he’s had a strong musky smell. He would get this only every once in a while and his usual scent smell would be different. Does this sound like something that could be a concern? Does it tie into any bladder related issues? He’s still having a small amount of recovery food twice a day because it’s the only way he’ll take his metacam so could this be changing his natural odour? Also been trying some different hays at the moment and this scent has a sort of earthy smell to it. Hard to describe.

He’s doing well but I still feel worried and don’t quite know why.
I've found that my Nancy can be a bit smelly when she's having a flare up. I think she has IC. But it's a bit unknown really with her as she improved after having an ovary out.

If you are worried still tomorrow I would drop the vet a message and ask.

What’s odd is that it doesn’t seem like a bladder type smell. It’s more of a strong scenting type smell but not his usual smell. I’d describe it like musky/earthy/farmyard/prawn cocktail mix.

There is still a slight stale smell but it comes and goes (more not there than there)

He’s actually doing ok. He had a bright day yesterday but I have noticed that he goes for more regular rests on his vet bed, especially after standing for a while in the hay area.

Ok, so we’ve just checked him over and the smell was coming from the tip of his penis. More stale urine smelling up close. Quite pungent actually. It’s not his bottom or scent gland. He has a little bit of urine on one side of his tummy again and he’s 1240g so has lost a little weight.

Will get him booked in at the vets.

Perry still smells and he’s been doing a few toilet squeaks again. I say squeaks but they they sound more like short, sharp chirps almost. Found a little blood too in the cage. He only does this early morning and night time. In between though he’s his normal self.

He’s started taking the metacam without recovery food all of a sudden. He’s not wanting the recovery now and is eating much more hay instead. He’s loving the new box of timothy hay we just got so that’s great.

I think he was his best on the cerenia so I assume that means he’s likely to have bladder inflammation still that hasn’t quite settled enough?

I’ll say that to the vet tomorrow. Ask about the 4 joints or any other supplements that might help him. Is there anything else I need to ask?

Perry had his appointment this afternoon. Nothing obviously wrong on examination (the vet agreed he was a little smelly but she thought he was clean underneath) but he has lost some weight so she wants to repeat the X-rays. So he’s going back Wednesday morning 🤞

Good luck on Wednesday. Glad there wasn’t anything obviously wrong.

Perry’s X-rays - nothing showing in his bladder, arthritis looks the same, nothing else showing up of concern.

The vet did an ultrasound of the bladder area to make sure and that was clear.

She has said that because he did seem to do much better on the cerenia, to try a longer course of that alongside his metacam (which she agrees with keeping him on it full time now) and then we’ll reassess. She said something about his arthritis/stress and maybe needing a different type of painkiller but see how he does on the cerenia first.

So I’m not exactly sure what’s going on with him, whether he has a bit of bladder inflammation that didn’t quite settle, arthritis or something else.

They were both nervous today at the vets but happy to be home.

Perry seems to respond very quickly to the cerenia so it must be doing something he needs. He’s been bright today.

He seems to be getting bored of his recovery food though so I’ve ordered a different one to try, see if it sparks his interest again.

ETA: he’s randomly started using ‘Lola’s’ water bottle instead. He usually uses ‘his’ bowl and bottle on the other side of the cage. Hers is slightly higher and he arrives at it in a certain position so maybe finds it easier.

Perry has been doing really well. The two week cerenia course ends today.

The new recovery food - critical care fine grind - was a big success and seems to suit him much more than the other one. He only needs one small feed per day now but it definitely gives him a little boost :)

He’s been a very good boy, eating lots of hay and he’s allowed himself to be trained to take his yucky cerenia straight from the syringe! He gets a bit of lettuce between every bit he takes and this boy will do pretty much anything for lettuce 😆

Quick update - Perry has been off the cerenia over a month now and has been doing really great. He’s still on metacam, having a little bit of critical care fine grind every night just to give him a little boost both nutritionally but also emotionally as well because he really looks forward to it and seems to love the extra care. He has his Oxbow joint care biscuit stuck in the food like a flake too lol. Helps to soften it a bit for him :)

Thank you for updating. It's good to know he's doing well. Is he hooked on the metacam yet?

How is Perry now? I'm wanting my Nancy to go on cerenia. She had an injection of it on Tuesday which helped loads but now seems to have worn off.
Sorry for the very late reply! Not been on in a while.

Perry is doing very well thank you :)

Hope you managed to get some more cerenia for Nancy. It’s good stuff.

Sorry for the very late reply! Not been on in a while.

Perry is doing very well thank you :)

Hope you managed to get some more cerenia for Nancy. It’s good stuff.
Aw, that's really good. I'm glad he's doing well.

The cerenia didn't work for Nancy. The first injection did but the tablets didn't. Do you know what dose of tablets he had? Nancy is on high dose of metacam and then cystease and gabapentin. Doesn't completely solve it but she is much better. I had been considering putting her to sleep. But she has zooms etc now.

smilAw, that's really good. I'm glad he's doing well.

The cerenia didn't work for Nancy. The first injection did but the tablets didn't. Do you know what dose of tablets he had? Nancy is on high dose of metacam and then cystease and gabapentin. Doesn't completely solve it but she is much better. I had been considering putting her to sleep. But she has zooms etc now.
I can’t remember but we’re at the vets soon for a check up so I’ll find out.

Perry is still on higher metacam. The Oxbow joint support has made a big difference to his movement and I would guess that the glucosamine in them also help his bladder too. He still does the odd squeak here and there but nothing major.

He’s slowly lost 100g over the time he’s been on the joint support because he’s moving around so much now! He’s now at the lower end of his ideal healthy weight range (1125g) which is better for his joints and still a good weight for a six year old I think (he turned six last week)

Lovely to hear Perry is doing so well, those supplements have made a difference for him

Back