Pairing adult boar with baby boar

they do settle once the lights go out, but it takes about two weeks for the bond the settle down so things should cool down over that time

Meet Gil (Gilderoy Lockheart) and Potter (Hairy Potter)! Bonded!
They’ve been so sweet. Respecting one another. Accepting cuddles outside their cage and overall Gil has really come to life having his “little brother” back with him. Thanks for all of your help in this thread! ♥️

Attachments

• IMG_4717.webp
    IMG_4717.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4719.webp
    IMG_4719.webp
    72.8 KB · Views: 2
So pleased for the boys and you that all has worked out! There is nothing like a solid boar bond. Enjoy! :yahoo:

The right company really makes such a difference - it is not the boars that are the problem; it is the humans that cause them by ignoring all their social instincts.

Your boys want to be and want stay together; they have chosen each other positively. If there ever are any hormonal spats, they may go up to the line but they will be very, very careful to not cross it.

At the very worst if one of them goes on overload, you just put a divider in for two days, let them cool down and reintroduce them on neutral ground. They should behave like nothing has happened then. Potter sounds like a rather submissive boy anyway so I doubt that you will have any major problems along the way.

Guinea pigs take about 2 weeks to establish or re-establish a working group in terms of personnel but also in terms of ta new territory or territorial changes. The dominance should be settling down a bit more with every pssing day.
Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

They also look like they have originated in the same (breeders) place and maybe related since they are both silkies (USA)/shelties (UK). Please make sure that keep their hair under control and give them a summer haircut during heat waves.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...owned-by-members-we-cant-replace-them.121399/
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Guinea pigs are crepuscular - they are most active at dawn and dusk when they go out with their groups to their feeding grounds of fresh grass but they spend the days and nights with phases of sleep and browsing. And sometimes playing... and drinking noisily from a bottle.
You will notice that your piggies are active first thing in the morning but generally resting from late morning until late afternoon when the become more active again over the evening.
Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview

So pleased for the boys and you that all has worked out! There is nothing like a solid boar bond. Enjoy! :yahoo:

The right company really makes such a difference - it is not the boars that are the problem; it is the humans that cause them by ignoring all their social instincts.

Your boys want to be and stay together; they have chosen each other positively. If there ever are any hormonal spats, they may go up to the line but they will be very, very careful to not cross it.

At the very worst if one of them goes on overload, you just put a divider in for two days, let them cool down and reintroduce them on neutral ground. They should behave like nothing has happened then. Potter sounds like a rather submissive boy anyway so I doubt that you will have any major problems along the way.

Guinea pigs take about 2 weeks to establish or re-establish a working group in terms of personnel but also in terms of ta new territory or territorial changes. The dominance should be settling down a bit more with every pssing day.
Reacting to group or territorial changes: Dominance and group establishment/re-establishment

They also look like they have originated in the same (breeders) place and maybe related since they are both silkies (USA)/shelties (UK). Please make sure that keep their hair under control and give them a summer haircut during heat waves.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...owned-by-members-we-cant-replace-them.121399/
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting
Boar Care: Bits, Bums & Baths

Guinea pigs are crepuscular - they are most active at dawn and dusk when they go out with their groups to their feeding grounds of fresh grass but they spend the days and nights with phases of sleep and browsing. And sometimes playing... and drinking noisily from a bottle.
You will notice that your piggies are active first thing in the morning but generally resting from late morning until late afternoon when the become more active again over the evening.
Guinea Pig Facts - An Overview
Perfect info thank you!

As @Wiebke says you might get days with hormonal surges, I get it with my boys. You need to hold your nerve, I myself thought my boys bond was about to go on a few occasions and reading the "bonds in trouble?" guide repeatedly was the reassurance I needed not to separate.
Mostly they live harmoniously. Mischievous Master Boris is on the cusp of adulthood and can be a bit of a brat. Dignified Sir George is about 3 months older and a very laid back dominant but he has his limits and occasionally needs to put Master Boris back in his place. This generally only lasts a day and now I'm used to it. The worst part, in my opinion, is the "eau de boar" smell that accompanies it.
I wish you well with your boys.

As @Wiebke says you might get days with hormonal surges, I get it with my boys. You need to hold your nerve, I myself thought my boys bond was about to go on a few occasions and reading the "bonds in trouble?" guide repeatedly was the reassurance I needed not to separate.
Mostly they live harmoniously. Mischievous Master Boris is on the cusp of adulthood and can be a bit of a brat. Dignified Sir George is about 3 months older and a very laid back dominant but he has his limits and occasionally needs to put Master Boris back in his place. This generally only lasts a day and now I'm used to it. The worst part, in my opinion, is the "eau de boar" smell that accompanies it.
I wish you well with your boys.
Not looking forward to this, but expecting it as Potter is just 10 weeks. I’m sure as he comes of age he will challenge. Watching him strut at big ol’ Gil was quite comical. Like, know your size little man! 😂

I'm really not an expert on piggies, and you got some great advices from experts above. But I've had a fair amount of boars in my life (ten boars, four couples) and their bond is something so special ❤️
I experienced one fall out with a boartrio hitting teenage (terrible idea). One of the boys got a new babyfriend and lived happy with him until he passed last year. That little fellow got a new adult neighbor, sadly they didnt work out living together but live happily side by side and love to tease each other thru the fence.
The other two boys still live together and their bond are so strong. Yesterday one of them was at the vet all day doing dental works, and the other was crazy mad and sad. It was hard to watch him so upset without his friend. And the happiness when his friend came back, and the worry when he was acting drowsy and all weird! They are each others oxygen and soulmates after four years together.
Ask the sanctuary if you can try to bond the boys!

I'm really not an expert on piggies, and you got some great advices from experts above. But I've had a fair amount of boars in my life (ten boars, four couples) and their bond is something so special ❤️
I experienced one fall out with a boartrio hitting teenage (terrible idea). One of the boys got a new babyfriend and lived happy with him until he passed last year. That little fellow got a new adult neighbor, sadly they didnt work out living together but live happily side by side and love to tease each other thru the fence.
The other two boys still live together and their bond are so strong. Yesterday one of them was at the vet all day doing dental works, and the other was crazy mad and sad. It was hard to watch him so upset without his friend. And the happiness when his friend came back, and the worry when he was acting drowsy and all weird! They are each others oxygen and soulmates after four years together.
Ask the sanctuary if you can try to bond the boys!
Thank you! This gives me hope for our boys ♥️

So I’m noticing that when I do a cage clean/fleece change, that the dominance games are activated for lack of a better word. lol Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I’ve read about leaving their scent but if bedding is stinky, I don’t want to leave it in the cage.
I also think I was cleaning too well, leading to lots of urine. Of course they’re boars so maybe that’s just a normal amount of pee. So this time I left it go a few days but now this changeout the bickering seems worse. Potter will rumble strut and then Gil puts him in his place. Repeatedly. Only now Potter has had it. He submission squeals but will headbutt/nip to get Gil to back off. Makes me nervous but they work it out without harm. I’m also experimenting on what bedding is going to work for us. So the different substrates seems to excite them.

Is it also normal to not want to be under the hideout.
Gil has taken to hanging out in the large portion of the cage. Is he just hot? Is he claiming the large portion? Just needing a break from each other?

They do settle down, so I’m not concerned with a broken bond, but it’s like rambunctious boys fighting when mom’s had enough lol

Attachments

• IMG_4758.webp
    IMG_4758.webp
    89.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4759.webp
    IMG_4759.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 2
Most of us who use fleece tend to have pee pads or bath mats on top that can be changed more often without taking away too much scent. In my experience it really makes a difference.

Most of us who use fleece tend to have pee pads or bath mats on top that can be changed more often without taking away too much scent. In my experience it really makes a difference.
I do like the idea of noodle mats. Can you show me what pee pad works well?

Back