Pairing adult boar with baby boar

Gilderoy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We just adopted a 2 year old Guinea pig boar 2 days ago for my son. I personally am committed to his ultimate care. I’ve had Guinea pigs in the past many years ago so I considered myself an experienced owner, however, I see that much has changed since the days of yesteryear and that I in fact have much to learn. After watching some videos for new owners I learned just how important it is for guinea pigs to always be kept in pairs.

I expressed my concerns and was told that if he’s given lots of attention (he will, our family can dedicate a substantial amount of time and attention as I do not work outside the home) that he will bond with us and would do well without another Guinea pig, that some like to be with others and some don’t.

Originally our Guinea was housed in a cage with another 10 week old boar and it was said that the two boys got along. I reached out to see if I could adopt his cage mate as well and he is still available. I was excited to do what is best for our new piggy and encouraged.

However, I’m now finding that it is very difficult to bond boars with each other. I actually watched a video saying that only 20% of males will bond and 80% will fail. I’m so discouraged. I am now worried to have an adult male without a companion who might end up being unhappy but extremely worried about bringing in the baby who once reaches teenager-hood could have an 80% failure rate and could result in fighting, biting, and wounds. My son would be heartbroken. How do I correct this situation? Do I bring in the young boar and hope for the best or do we personally bond with him and give him loads of attention and enrichment? I do not have the space to keep them separate if things go south. The cage I purchased (for what I thought would be one Guinea pig) is 24 in. x 47 in. It does have the option to put on an extension making it 18 in. longer, which I would certainly do if we added a companion.
Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You are right. Your boar will definitely need a friend. I’d get a larger cage and get the 10 week old he was living with. Bond them in a neutral location. Don’t just pop the baby in the cage with him.

What cage do you currently have?

I lost a piggy last week and have bonded my 2 year old with a 7 week old baby recently. I left them all afternoon and overnight in the bonding pen. They are doing fine. Always have 2 of everything in the cage like beds, water bottles. I also don’t use bowls. I scatter feed their veggies and nuggets around the cage so they don’t have to share a bowl. Always have 2 exits in any hides you have so they can’t trap each other in them.

Good luck. We are all here to help and advise you.

New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner

Housing, Enrichment and Seasonal care

Behaviour, Bonding and Bereavement

Hello and welcome. You have been given some good advise above. I agree you should go and get the boar he was living with.

I think boars do get a bad rep. Many on here have/had successful boar pairs, including myself. My boars were the same age and made it through their teens. They had a lovely bond.

Do read the guides linked to above, especially the last one. It will be really important for you to put the extension on if they’re to live together.

I hope it works out for you.

Hi

If you get the bonded companion, please reintroduce them on neutral ground outside the cage. This keeps any instinctive hostile 'invasion' reactions down.

Generally, an age gap is an advantage in a boar pair but they need to be a character match. In our forum experience, more boar pairs than not actually make it past teenage. it depends on how dominant the youngster is. Make sure that you have divider so you can give the boys time to cool down after a hormone spike before putting them back together if things go right up to the line and are at risk to cross it. You will need to reintroduce them outside the cage.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
The Herd, the Group and I: Investigating Guinea Pig Identity and Society (see especially the last chapter about boars)

Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection (you may want to bookmark this link, browse, read and re-read at need since you'll take different things away at different stages of experience)

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You are right. Your boar will definitely need a friend. I’d get a larger cage and get the 10 week old he was living with. Bond them in a neutral location. Don’t just pop the baby in the cage with him.

What cage do you currently have?

I lost a piggy last week and have bonded my 2 year old with a 7 week old baby recently. I left them all afternoon and overnight in the bonding pen. They are doing fine. Always have 2 of everything in the cage like beds, water bottles. I also don’t use bowls. I scatter feed their veggies and nuggets around the cage so they don’t have to share a bowl. Always have 2 exits in any hides you have so they can’t trap each other in them.

Good luck. We are all here to help and advise you.

New and Wannabe Guinea Pig Owners Corner

Housing, Enrichment and Seasonal care

Behaviour, Bonding and Bereavement
He’s in a Midwest Wabitat Deluxe.
I can’t do an open c&c because we also have 2 cats and a dog and small amount of space. A covered enclosure is essential.
These are the two options for expanding. Which extension would be better?

Attachments

• IMG_4677.webp
    IMG_4677.webp
    160.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4678.webp
    IMG_4678.webp
    184.5 KB · Views: 1
The first one would be better. You don’t want anything with one entrance in there to cause issues.

Unfortunately converting to cm it is just shy of the minimum recommended for boys (150x60cm or 59x23.62in). Is there any way at all you could use grids (with a lid) to extend it just a little?

He’s in a Midwest Wabitat Deluxe.
I can’t do an open c&c because we also have 2 cats and a dog and small amount of space. A covered enclosure is essential.
These are the two options for expanding. Which extension would be better?
I have this cage. I’ve added two extra pieces to it.

IMG_4420.webp
IMG_4419.webp

I wouldn’t get the covered one.

This is fantastic, I didn’t know you could add more than one extension!
My original cage was called a Ferplast 160. Then Ferplast slightly changed the cage so one of the extensions is cable tied together. But it’s absolutely fine and the base is the same so fits perfectly.

I’ve decided to adopt the younger boar and ordered the extension for the cage, (may have to order another after seeing the above pictures! ♥️) and introduce as you all recommended. I’ve been up most of the night reading the articles. Thank you so much for your support.

That’s great news.

I had just one extension for ages and my two boys were fine in it.

Remember not to put the baby straight into the cage with the older one. Bond them on neutral territory.

That’s great news.

I had just one extension for ages and my two boys were fine in it.

Remember not to put the baby straight into the cage with the older one. Bond them on neutral territory.
I will! Getting a small animal playpen today so that I can accomplish this properly.

Here is a video of my black ca. 3 years old Nosgan 'Nightsong' and my little white Nye 'Noble' as a ca. 6 months old teenager who'd not long been neutered having roaming time around the ground floor Tribe cages with my mixed gender groups. They'd been together for coming up to 3 months by that time. Nye still went through all the typical teenage phases although he was never over-sexed even before his neuter and their bonding when Nye was about 5 months old was as boring and uneventful as could be.
Nosgan And Nye Roaming Video
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (you can find a video of their bonding in the boar chapter)

Skittish Nosgan was not at all interested in sows and Nye was a happy go lucky youngster; they complemented each other perfectly personality-wise. I had to pull the devider in their pen twice when Nye got a bit too much for Nosgan but their bond endured until Nosgan's death two years later. Nye went on to join my largest sow Hyfryd 'Lovely' and her daughter who he had made friends with through the bars while still living with Nosgan. Their enduring love lasted another 3 1/2 years; Nye passed away aged ca. 6 years on the evening of the Queen's funeral and Hyfryd joined him at the Rainbow Bridge a few months later just before Christmas, aged 7 years.

Just to show that fails are not pre-programmed. I would recommend that you speak to the place you have adopted from whether they are willing to allow you to give the younger boy a chance but would take him back if doesn't work out.

When I bonded Pebble (2) and Patrick (7weeks) last weekend I put Pebble in the pen first and then picked up Patrick and let Pebble sniff my hand so he knew another piggy was coming in. I placed Patrick on the opposite side of the pen to Pebble. Patrick froze and didn’t move and Pebble just went to the hay pile to eat. I let Pebble sniff my hand a few times. Saying that there was a friend here. Eventually 😂 Pebble walked slowly over to Patrick. Sniffed him, rumble strutted around him a bit and then walked off. Patrick then followed him to the other side of the pen. Pebble then spent about 5 minutes smelling him and walking over him. I think to show him he was boss. Patrick did mount Pebble once which was hilarious considering the side difference but Pebble didn’t seem to mind and that was that. Done. Bonded. 😍

When I bonded Pebble (2) and Patrick (7weeks) last weekend I put Pebble in the pen first and then picked up Patrick and let Pebble sniff my hand so he knew another piggy was coming in. I placed Patrick on the opposite side of the pen to Pebble. Patrick froze and didn’t move and Pebble just went to the hay pile to eat. I let Pebble sniff my hand a few times. Saying that there was a friend here. Eventually 😂 Pebble walked slowly over to Patrick. Sniffed him, rumble strutted around him a bit and then walked off. Patrick then followed him to the other side of the pen. Pebble then spent about 5 minutes smelling him and walking over him. I think to show him he was boss. Patrick did mount Pebble once which was hilarious considering the side difference but Pebble didn’t seem to mind and that was that. Done. Bonded. 😍
Thank you for the detailing it out for me. That is so very helpful and I’ll follow this to a T. Hopefully everything will go just as smoothly. Especially since they should know each other.

So I reintroduced them today. Neutral territory. At first the baby was so excited and purring. The older just sat there eating hay. This lasted a short while, then the dominance game began. Lots and lots of bum sniffing, strutting, nose pushing, mounting and some teeth chatter from the oldest. Eventually the baby caved and stopped his end of the dominance game but the older has been mounting the poor thing A LOT. Like how much is too much? The older is chasing him down. No fighting but the mounting seems obsessive, and I’m worried the baby isn’t getting to drink water. I have two bottles but haven’t seen him drink yet. He has plenty of room to get away but sticks close to the older one unless he’s being mounted. I feel bad for him and he’s unhappily squeaking a lot when dominated. Normal? How long does this last?

Please don’t worry. Mounting is normal.
It’s also important that you don’t let the squeaking worry you. It may make him sound unhappy but it is submission squeaking and is normal and a good thing - he is telling your older piggy that he accepts his position.

It takes around two weeks for a relationship to be fully formed and you will see a lot of these behaviours during this time. While it will calm down as time goes on, dominance behaviours continue throughout life as they continue to reinforce their bond

The submission squeals are upsetting to us and somepigs are extremely dramatic with it (yes Master Boris I'm looking at you...)
How is it now?

Please don’t worry. Mounting is normal.
It’s also important that you don’t let the squeaking worry you. It may make him sound unhappy but it is submission squeaking and is normal and a good thing - he is telling your older piggy that he accepts his position.

It takes around two weeks for a relationship to be fully formed and you will see a lot of these behaviours during this time. While it will calm down as time goes on, dominance behaviours continue throughout life as they continue to reinforce their bond
Thank you. It’s 3am here and it’s continuing through the night as my son just called out to me that he can’t sleep due to all the dominance behavior. It’s been a rough night. A lot more so than we were expecting. Hoping for a better tomorrow. I’ll keep everyone updated!

Thank you. It’s 3am here and it’s continuing through the night as my son just called out to me that he can’t sleep due to all the dominance behavior. It’s been a rough night. A lot more so than we were expecting. Hoping for a better tomorrow. I’ll keep everyone updated!
So the bigger Piggy is now resource guarding AND incessantly mounting. Going to make some changes to the cage as I have all the resources in the extension even though there are two of everything. The opposite end is a large open ended hide so I didn’t put them there thinking to contain the mess in the extension, I’m laughing at my thought process now. Going to put 1 of everything at each end and let the mess fly. 😂

So the bigger Piggy is now resource guarding AND incessantly mounting. Going to make some changes to the cage as I have all the resources in the extension even though there are two of everything. The opposite end is a large open ended hide so I didn’t put them there thinking to contain the mess in the extension, I’m laughing at my thought process now. Going to put 1 of everything at each end and let the mess fly. 😂

Can you make place for a cardboard box filled with some soft hay with two exits on opposite sides that the your big boy cannot get into as a safe refuge for the little one or create a safe corner with hay and water access that your bigger boy cannot get into? Incessant mounting to the degree that a new companion cannot eat, drink or sleep counts as bullying.

Can you make place for a cardboard box filled with some soft hay with two exits on opposite sides that the your big boy cannot get into as a safe refuge for the little one or create a safe corner with hay and water access that your bigger boy cannot get into? Incessant mounting to the degree that a new companion cannot eat, drink or sleep counts as bullying.

I can try.

I'll be keeping an eye on their behavior today, hoping to see some changes with things placed on both ends. Yesterday we made sure to scatter food, veggies, while intentionally making sure the little is getting what he needs.

I can try.

I'll be keeping an eye on their behavior today, hoping to see some changes with things placed on both ends. Yesterday we made sure to scatter food, veggies, while intentionally making sure the little is getting what he needs.

I hope that things are settling down.

Yay. Glad they have settled down now. 😍

Don’t forget to post pictures of them so we can drool over them too.

Silly boys ! But snuggling is a great sign. glad its working out! I was worried of night noise when i got 3 week old for the 3.5yr old but he learned quickly lights out, mom says night boys and we be quiet and eat all we want through the night. Noise was only for 3 nights then nothing but i get your son saying they are noisy! Cant wait to see them

Back