• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Painkillers

Thats great news she’s coming around from the medication. Such a relief for you.

Thats great news she’s coming around from the medication. Such a relief for you.
I'm going to contact the vet tomorrow and ask for the gapentin to do for over the weekend until I can see a piggy vet. Ellie, the guinea pig vet kindly emailed my vet for me with suitable dosages.

I'm glad that she is doing better now. I hope all goes well with keeping her comfortable over the weekend until you can see your usual vet

Thank you. Don't think it was 1ml actually, may have just been charged for that much. She's doing much better.

Was the injection buprenorphine? That can happen sometimes, usually it wears off within 12 hours. If she is alert enough to swallow you will likely have to step in with some syringe feeding for a while, and keep moving her out of soiled areas, try not to panic, it's scary but it will pass..they should really have warned you it may happen. Bupe can also be given orally short term if necessary until you can see your other vet but the dose will need to reflect how she has reacted to it. Mine have never been given enough to cause lethargy but a couple of my friends piggies have. They all came round OK. But do reach back out to the vet if you're concerned at any point!

I have 4 piggies currently on gabapentin and find it works pretty well, hopefully the vet is able to get back to you quickly about dosing.

You may also wish to discuss cartrophen injections if IC is suspected. It has worked miracles on my IC pigs, ones who had squealed for years while we cycled through antibiotics, pain meds and home remedies are now peeing completely normally.
With your piggie that had IC did they ever do lots of tiny wees? Nancy won't hold wee in her bladder anymore. We've been back to the vets this morning because she's bleeding and squeaking in pain. She's going to go on gabepentin

With your piggie that had IC did they ever do lots of tiny wees? Nancy won't hold wee in her bladder anymore. We've been back to the vets this morning because she's bleeding and squeaking in pain. She's going to go on gabepentin

They did, yes. Unfortunately as with people and most animals, cystitis makes you feel like you have to pee even if the bladder is empty or almost empty resulting in lots of small wees. Fingers crossed the gabapentin helps!

They did, yes. Unfortunately as with people and most animals, cystitis makes you feel like you have to pee even if the bladder is empty or almost empty resulting in lots of small wees. Fingers crossed the gabapentin helps!
Thank you. The vet is going to ring me later. I'm going to ask about the cartophen injections.

Wow that's amazing! I forgot to ask when I went today as I was expecting the vet to say to repeat the scans. But she said that isn't what she would do if it was her guinea pig so we haven't. I will definitely ask. It sounds like a pretty risk free treatment so worth a shot.

Wow that's amazing! I forgot to ask when I went today as I was expecting the vet to say to repeat the scans. But she said that isn't what she would do if it was her guinea pig so we haven't. I will definitely ask. It sounds like a pretty risk free treatment so worth a shot.

It definitely seems risk free, it's quick and easy, can be done by the nurses too so cheaper than seeing the vet. It's so easy to do my vet actually showed me how to do it myself, now I just pick up the pre prepared injection once a month and do it at home which saves her the stress of a trip out too!

It definitely seems risk free, it's quick and easy, can be done by the nurses too so cheaper than seeing the vet. It's so easy to do my vet actually showed me how to do it myself, now I just pick up the pre prepared injection once a month and do it at home which saves her the stress of a trip out too!
Thank you. Hopefully my vet will be up for this. I am worried she may end up being put to sleep if we don't get on top of this.

Nancy isn't doing good. I did ask about cartrophen a couple of weeks ago but the vet wasn't keen. She is now on highest dose of gabapentin and she's also on metacam. She is very clearly in pain. We had another x-ray yesterday because she is in so much pain and she had funny wee and a slightly swollen bottom. X-ray showed nothing. The vet doesn't know what's wrong and said maybe she has a growth we can't see. She's now on baytril incase she has an infection and her wee has been sent off for a sample. I'm really upset. I'm worried I'm going to have to put her to sleep.

Nancy isn't doing good. I did ask about cartrophen a couple of weeks ago but the vet wasn't keen. She is now on highest dose of gabapentin and she's also on metacam. She is very clearly in pain. We had another x-ray yesterday because she is in so much pain and she had funny wee and a slightly swollen bottom. X-ray showed nothing. The vet doesn't know what's wrong and said maybe she has a growth we can't see. She's now on baytril incase she has an infection and her wee has been sent off for a sample. I'm really upset. I'm worried I'm going to have to put her to sleep.
I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice. Sending you a hug and healing vibes to Nancy. ❤️

I’m sorry I can’t offer any advice. Sending you a hug and healing vibes to Nancy. ❤️
Thank you. My vet is off next week. I'm going to ask for a plan, as in ultrasound or try cartrophen just incase. Vet isn't sure whether it could even be reproductive in nature. She would need higher painkillers to see if that helps until we can try these things though and it feels like we are loosing the battle. I got my piggies from a rescue and they haven't seen this either and my vet who is used to seeing piggies mustn't have either.

The culture isn't back yet but I'm doubting it's an infection. She's had two doses of baytril so far. But this has been going on for so long and getting worse I'm just not convinced it's that.

It’s so upsetting when you just don’t know what is going on. I hope you can get to the bottom of whatever it is and it’s fixable. Good luck.

It’s so upsetting when you just don’t know what is going on. I hope you can get to the bottom of whatever it is and it’s fixable. Good luck.
Thank you. It makes it so much harder to know the right decision. Because I don't know I'm like okay, we need to try these things. But if I knew she had cancer for example I would be like okay, it's time to
be put to sleep. She's deteriorated since Sunday pain wise and I know if it doesn't improve its not good. They hide things too.

You know Nancy best. If she’s still having lots of good days and is eating ok then she still has the will to live. Hopefully you’ll know when pts is the right decision for Nancy.

You know Nancy best. If she’s still having lots of good days and is eating ok then she still has the will to live. Hopefully you’ll know when pts is the right decision for Nancy.
Thank you. If she continues this bad I think I will have to make that decision. Before Sunday she was in pain every day but majority of the day still happy. Will email the vet for sure.

Back