• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Painkillers

Piggies2023

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

I'm not sure this will get answered before my vet appointment but worth a try. I have an appointment with a non guinea pig savvy vet this morning as mine is away. Nancy is in far too much pain just on metacam. She has bladder problems. What painkillers should I be asking for please? Gabepentin?

I do not have any experience with such but have heard of it being used in pigs.

I am sure it is definitely worth asking about. Wishing you luck for your visit x

I do not have any experience with such but have heard of it being used in pigs.

I am sure it is definitely worth asking about. Wishing you luck for your visit x
Thank you. I wish my normal vet was in. She isn't doing well. I hope they give her more pain meds. Concerned they may be anxious to prescribe anything with them not being a piggy vet.

Thank you. I wish my normal vet was in. She isn't doing well. I hope they give her more pain meds. Concerned they may be anxious to prescribe anything with them not being a piggy vet.
What dosage is she currently on?

0.4ml of dog metacam. But I had an online consultation with a guinea pig vet online than said I could increase it. I gave 0.8ml last night and it wasn't enough

So she is on a decent stint.

I definitely think you should go ahead and all you can do is express your concerns.

There is some talk about it in this thread, obviously is quite an old thread but does seem to work well for people who have used it.
Gabapentin use, advice sought please

You’ll have to advocate for your piggy, can be tough in a less knowledgeable vet but can be done, so again I wish you all the best today x

So she is on a decent stint.

I definitely think you should go ahead and all you can do is express your concerns.

There is some talk about it in this thread, obviously is quite an old thread but does seem to work well for people who have used it.
Gabapentin use, advice sought please

You’ll have to advocate for your piggy, can be tough in a less knowledgeable vet but can be done, so again I wish you all the best today x
Thank you. I shall look at that thread.

What is the diagnosis of her bladder issues?
Vet thought IC and crystals. She has weed out this morning what looks like a tiny stone. Feels sharp. And was in her urine. She's just doing tiny wees. But I think she may have developed a stone. But the vet that can do that op isn't in until Monday. She also has little hormonal ovarian cysts.

0.4ml of dog metacam. But I had an online consultation with a guinea pig vet online than said I could increase it. I gave 0.8ml last night and it wasn't enough
Are you giving the metacam twice a day?

If she has passed a stone then I wouldn't be surprised that the pain relief wasn't working before. Are you able to get her to a piggy savvy vet at all? I would try to stick with the metacam where possible as it's an anti-inflammatory which means it will also treat any inflammation

If she has passed a stone then I wouldn't be surprised that the pain relief wasn't working before. Are you able to get her to a piggy savvy vet at all? I would try to stick with the metacam where possible as it's an anti-inflammatory which means it will also treat any inflammation
Unfortunately my guinea pig savvy vet isn't available until Monday, she's on annual leave. There isn't any other in the local area, I checked with the rescue I got her from on where I should go.

Unfortunately my guinea pig savvy vet isn't available until Monday, she's on annual leave. There isn't any other in the local area, I checked with the rescue I got her from on where I should go.
You are doing your best in the circumstances. I have been given tramadol for a piggy before from a savvy vet but it was for arthritis/ end of life palliative care. Generally if the higher dose of metacam isn't working I would say they need to find what is causing the pain

Vet isn't sure on dosing for gabepentin so she said she would find out. She gave her a painkiller injection until she can find out about gabepentin this afternoon. She's checking her urine under a microscope this afternoon too.

She's far too dosed up on that injection. It was an opiod. She's not doing anything because she's far too out of it. I did ask multiple times if it was safe which the vet said it was and they give it when they operate on piggies. But she's just too drugged.

I’ve heard on here that opioids can really knock them out. Hopefully it will wear off enough so she’s able to move around but still strong enough to stop the pain. 🤞🏻

Just keep her comfortable.

I’ve heard on here that opioids can really knock them out. Hopefully it will wear off enough so she’s able to move around but still strong enough to stop the pain. 🤞🏻

Just keep her comfortable.
I'm worried. I'm not happy with how out of it is she is. I get she's in pain but I feel they should have halfed the dose.

It’s not nice seeing them so out of it. I don’t have any experience of opioids. Sorry. If you are really worried I’d call the vets and check it’s ok for them to have this reaction and how quickly it will wear off. Good luck.

Was the injection buprenorphine? That can happen sometimes, usually it wears off within 12 hours. If she is alert enough to swallow you will likely have to step in with some syringe feeding for a while, and keep moving her out of soiled areas, try not to panic, it's scary but it will pass..they should really have warned you it may happen. Bupe can also be given orally short term if necessary until you can see your other vet but the dose will need to reflect how she has reacted to it. Mine have never been given enough to cause lethargy but a couple of my friends piggies have. They all came round OK. But do reach back out to the vet if you're concerned at any point!

I have 4 piggies currently on gabapentin and find it works pretty well, hopefully the vet is able to get back to you quickly about dosing.

You may also wish to discuss cartrophen injections if IC is suspected. It has worked miracles on my IC pigs, ones who had squealed for years while we cycled through antibiotics, pain meds and home remedies are now peeing completely normally.

Was the injection buprenorphine? That can happen sometimes, usually it wears off within 12 hours. If she is alert enough to swallow you will likely have to step in with some syringe feeding for a while, and keep moving her out of soiled areas, try not to panic, it's scary but it will pass..they should really have warned you it may happen. Bupe can also be given orally short term if necessary until you can see your other vet but the dose will need to reflect how she has reacted to it. Mine have never been given enough to cause lethargy but a couple of my friends piggies have. They all came round OK. But do reach back out to the vet if you're concerned at any point!

I have 4 piggies currently on gabapentin and find it works pretty well, hopefully the vet is able to get back to you quickly about dosing.

You may also wish to discuss cartrophen injections if IC is suspected. It has worked miracles on my IC pigs, ones who had squealed for years while we cycled through antibiotics, pain meds and home remedies are now peeing completely normally.
They said it may make her a little sleepy but if I thought she would be like this I absolutely would have said no. It's been two hours and she won't eat and doesn't even respond to me moving her hide from her.

Not 100% on what it is was, I can't remember. But I think it was.

Rang the vet. I thought she had died because I couldn't see her breathe she is moving so little. To find they say it's normal. If this reaction is normal why have they given it to her. I'm fuming. Absolutely fuming. She's not eaten for hours

I found this thread. Lots of piggies seem to behave like this after having it.

Side effects of buprenorphine

I hope Nancy perks up very soon. It sounds awful. 🤞🏻
Thank you. The vet said she would be a little sleepy.. to me a little sleepy would be you know just the odd nap. She's not eaten since 9am this morning. I can't syringe feed because she's too out of it. And according to the vet it's normal. If this is apparently normal why didn't she warn me? I absolutely wouldn't have allowed her to have it. The risks of having to see a non guinea pig savvy vet 😞

Yes I totally agree they should have been more honest with you. ❤️
Never would have taken the risk. She was in pain but had times being a normal piggie. I'm worried I'm going to loose her. It's been over 6 hours since she last ate. And no signs of waking up enough to eat.

I am so sorry, this is not what you need when you were already anxious about her. Can you try mushing some pellets and offering on a spoon, maybe touching her lips with it so she might lick it? I know it won't get lots in but might reassure you if she even takes small amounts like this and will be safer than trying to syringe feed a piggy who is out of it

I am so sorry, this is not what you need when you were already anxious about her. Can you try mushing some pellets and offering on a spoon, maybe touching her lips with it so she might lick it? I know it won't get lots in but might reassure you if she even takes small amounts like this and will be safer than trying to syringe feed a piggy who is out of it
She won't take anything from me 😭

We are making progress. Managed very small syringe feeds. And she will now eat as long as I select the best pieces of hay and best and easiest veg and hold it in front of her face. The bad thing is the squeaking in pain is coming back 😥

Back