Over feeding

My two used to be in the kitchen, with fridge view. It was constant begging. I kept their daily ration of veg separately so if they got it during the day they got less at meal times. I also spread their feeding times, three meals a day.
AM is spoonful of pellets each, then hour or so later is poop picking and veg and Timothy hay top up. Then PM is another cage clean and veg with hay top up. All my pets are in sync, so piggies know they're getting fed when dog and cats are and they know the snack times, too...

I think the seed head is the bushy top of the stalk of the hay? I do that, too. If they're begging they get nice bit if Timothy hay!

I give my guinea pig 1/4 cup pelets and unlimited hay. Usually, spinach or romaine. On most days for fruit pear skin, apple, i tried banana but he hated it. Is it too much?

I give my guinea pig 1/4 cup pelets and unlimited hay. Usually, spinach or romaine. On most days for fruit pear skin, apple, i tried banana but he hated it. Is it too much?

Unlimited hay is good
Quarter of a cup of pellets is too much. They should have one tablespoon per pig per day.
For veg, They can be given one cup per pig per day and it should be a variety of leafy veg and herbs ensuring you give a high vitamin c item every day such as coriander or bell pepper.
Spinach is too high in calcium and as such shoud only be fed one or two leaves and only given once per week only. Too much calcium can cause bladder problems.
Fruit is too sugary and should be considered an occasional treat only, no more than very small piece and given no more than once per week but given fruit does not feature in their natural diet, If they don’t get fruit at all, then that isnt a bad thing. Mine get fruit once or twice a year.

Do ensure you also feed a more variety in their veg and cut the sugary and high calcium items appropriately.
This guide will help you, it has a sample plate to give you an idea - Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Last edited:
How should I switch to this diet, because I have been giving him this for a while now? Should i ease into it or just do it?

How should I switch to this diet, because I have been giving him this for a while now? Should i ease into it or just do it?

you can immediately reduce the amount of pellets down.
You need to introduce new veg slowly - give a new veg every few days and watch for any signs of a digestive upset.

I'm naturally a total feeder and had a previous piggy weigh 1600g 🙈
What cured me was seeing piggies in pain weeing blood from interstitial cystitis caused by me overfeeding nuggets and calcium rich food. Now I buy them nice hay from haybox, to give me the feeder kick 😊

Back