Outdoor Living

That's great. Thanks. I wonder could I have some kind of foldaway indoor enclosure that would allow them to have a run around the front room for a bit?

Oh dear, my daughter is very keen to cuddle the pigs. But being able to look after them and sit with them and have them run around her should be enough,

That's great. Thanks. I wonder could I have some kind of foldaway indoor enclosure that would allow them to have a run around the front room for a bit?
Oh dear, my daughter is very keen to cuddle the pigs. But being able to look after them and sit with them and have them run around her should be enough,

Piggies can’t be exposed to sudden temperature fluctuations so bringing outdoor piggies inside for run around time in mid winter and then putting then back outside isn’t advisable - it’s too much temperature change and can cause illness. They need to stay out if they are outdoor piggies.
If uo your absolutely must bring them in for exercise time, you will need to make sure the room you bring them into is as pretty much as cold as outside

Piggies can’t be exposed to sudden temperature fluctuations so bringing outdoor piggies inside for run around time in mid winter and then putting then back outside isn’t advisable - it’s too much temperature change and can cause illness. They need to stay out if they are outdoor piggies.
If uo your absolutely must bring them in for exercise time, you will need to make sure the room you bring them into is as pretty much as cold as outside of it's
If it's not going to benefit them then I definitely won't.

You’re better off to get as big a hutch as you can and then add plenty of enrichment into the hutch.

Being outside in winter they are going to need plenty of hay to keep warm anyway but that in itself is enrichment - mine spend hours just foraging through hay.
It’s also advisable to not use food bowls and instead scatter feed veg, pellets (and I give dried forage daily as well) amongst hay so they spend time looking for that also.

This may help with other ideas for how to keep them occupied when they can’t have run time
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

You’re better off to get as big a hutch as you can and then add plenty of enrichment into the hutch.

Being outside in winter they are going to need plenty of hay to keep warm anyway but that in itself is enrichment - mine spend hours just foraging through hay.
It’s also advisable to not use food bowls and instead scatter feed veg, pellets (and I give dried forage daily as well) amongst hay so they spend time looking for that also.

This may help with other ideas for how to keep them occupied when they can’t have run time
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
That's great. I'll get that hutch, the run (which I'll keep out all summer) and the snuggle cover for two boars. I'll try to get them from the RSPCA. Any thoughts on age or breed?

That's great. I'll get that hutch, the run (which I'll keep out all summer) and the snuggle cover for two boars. I'll try to get them from the RSPCA. Any thoughts on age or breed?

Age and breed really doesn’t matter. what is important is that you get a well bonded pair.

Try the list of recommended rescues as well. Contact them and look on their websites to see which piggies may be available.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues.196734/

I would recommend you don’t buy anything until you have had contact with a rescue about a potential pair. The other thing to consider is that they may not let you adopt piggies to be housed outside if you do it later in the year.

My piggies used to live indoors but I eventually moved them outside…coming up to 2 years ago, I think. They live in a custom built hut (thank you husband and BIL). Girl(s) on the ground floor and boys in the penthouse. On the inside, I added proplex and insulation on the floors. And insulation on the inside of the roof. I also stapled some insulation on the outside.

In winter, their hutch is stuffed full of hay. I warm heat pads in the morning and in the evening. They then have two fleeces, a duvet and another fleece blanket to help keep them warm. I made the insulation long enough to come around the front of the hutch as well. I tried to order a custom hutch cover but the tilt of the roof made that impossible. So I will hopefully make my own this year before the temps start dropping.

I have been lucky in that I’ve been able to keep them warm enough outside, even when it snowed last year. And cool enough when it gets warm. I do worry a lot about them but they seem to be enjoying their life outside, which makes me very happy.

PS I have the folding home & roost run and like it. I’ve also got a metal playpen. That was bought for indoors but also works outside. I usually cover part of the runs so they have some shade. The garden gets the sun for most of the day so I try and put them out in the morning before it’s too hot, or when there is more shade in the garden. Or under the plum tree (leaves and any fallen fruit removed).

I know it’s a bit of a trek but it’s really worth it. Would you be able to get to Cambridgeshire, Royston or Huntingdon? The other thing is that sometimes piggy trains can be arranged from one place to another. But do check RSPCA as well.

The benefit with our recommended rescues is that they are the gold standard for piggies and deal with piggies every day whereas local RSPCA branches may have guinea pigs in infrequently. If you have children at home who are keen for a cuddle then the recommended rescues are much more likely to know individual piggy personalities and may be able to match you with more mellow piggies who don't mind a cuddle

Hi, that's very useful to know, and I'm sure my daughter would love the adventure!

The only difference with the recommended rescues is they aren't as keen to home outdoors. Some will re-home between around April and beginning of September to outdoor homes and some will have a firm no to any outdoor homes. Definitely worth making enquiries. I don't have piggies anymore but mine always lived outdoors all year round

Thanks. I better ring around first then. It seems like it can be a bit of a controversial issue.

Thanks. I better ring around first then. It seems like it can be a bit of a controversial issue.

The way I always looked at it was that every rescue has to draw a line somewhere. Outdoor homes can be difficult to guarantee that the pigs are getting the best care as it relies on the owner doing everything they can to maintain a temperature as constant as possible. It's nothing personal against you, I always just asked outright whether they would consider outdoor homes so you don't waste your time or theirs

Back