• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Not eating on baytril

What size syringe did they give you for the baytril? Maybe you could use that to syringe feed her? Or ask the vet if they can give you another one?

You really need to get some scales. Are you able to kindly ask your parents to get you one?

Good luck. I have recently been syringe feeding my piggy whilst he was recovering from a tooth abscess. I would suggest syringe feeding every 2/2.5 hours (from when you finish the feed). Can you put her on someone’s lap? That way you can use one hand to lift up and hold her face. There is a gap just below their nose behind the top front teeth that you can kind of hold on to firmly with one hand and syringe with the other. You need to weigh her EVERY morning. If she has lost weight you give her more feeds than you did the day before. If she’s not eating for herself then this will be keeping her alive. If you are getting 20ml into her at each sitting that is great. It’s hard work but it has to be done until the Baytril is finished and she starts to eat for herself. You are doing great. Keep going.

Thankyou so much! I hope she gets better by tomorrow morning. How can I encourage her to have hay? She is still having veggies but she seems to have lost her interest in hay. Her ears are cold and her feet are slightly on the colder side too. What can I do?

What should I do when I'm asleep? I can't wake up every few hours to feed her pellet Mash.. .

give her a last feed about 11pm and then feed her again first thing on the morning when you wake up.

Have you been able to get some scales to weigh her? It is vital you do so. If she doesn’t get enough food she isn’t going to get better.

I looked for some but if I order them they will arrive a week later....

Order them anyway because you should ideally have been weighing her every week as part of routine lifelong care.

I assume then that you don’t have any shops nearby that sell them?

Without being able to weigh her you are going to be in the dark I’m afraid and won’t know whether she is getting enough to sustain her

I understand. I will keep researching

Can you borrow some scales from friends or family until yours arrive? It’s so important to know what’s happening with their weight.

Back