• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

norovirus

• Thread starter Thread starter maryh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
karenrgpr said:
Just seen the thread and it seems she is being cautious :) The example that CCC4 gave sounds like thats what would happen in theory if they got it. Oh, and if their owners have it wouldn't they have passed it onto their pigs who Vedra still treats? Or have I missed something? I could understand total exclusion of pigs and owners but if its zoonotic and the Human has it they will have passed it to the pig that is handed over the gate to Vedra to treat?

Think so. I think the only way a pig could "carry" it would be if their owner was infected and handled/cuddled/kissed/shared food with their pet. Then it would be ON the guinea pig but not actually being "carried" by them. The same thing could happen with a stuffed toy so the piggy isn't actually a carrier for a zoonotic disease.

Having done a search I can't find anything to suggest piggies can get the virus and be affected by it, let alone be an actual carrier.

when i had it my stepdad fed my pigs for me while i was ill, although i was in the same room etc i didnt give them food while i was ill just in case. i did feed them when i was better but i read not to prepare food for up to 48 hours after youve had it and i did when i was feeling better, but obviously i washed my hands every time so that must have helped if they can get it

Without dragging up the past to much this is what the vet felt had happened when i lost my guineas to chlamydia, we(the family where ill) the children used to feed the pigs, they where coughing and sneezing on the food :-\ i made them wash their hands when they came in, didn't think about the pigs. anyway the vet felt we made the pigs ill then the pigs in turn made us even worse and the pigs could cope with our germs and it turned into chlamydia,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back