• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

norovirus

• Thread starter Thread starter maryh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maryh

Vedra at CCT is telling gp owners that the Norovirus can be caught by gps.

This is worrying a lot of people so I have checked this out thoroughly and there is no mention in any vet book of this being so.

I rang my vetinary surgery this morning and they confirmed that Norovirus is NOT zoonotic between any animal or human.

i'd of thought basic hygiene ( washing hands etc) should be suffice
i always wash my hands after going in to THE SHED! :o just as a precaution
also after handling i suppose general hygiene will be ok
But as a precaution if you have Norovirus or similar in your house sounds daft but i'd wash hands before going out side anywheres

When I have been out anywhere,the first thing I do when I get through the door is remove outdoor shoes,then wash my hands.This applies at all times not just when there is a virus epidemic.

I had it in 2001 as did Emily who was 10 months old we ended up in hospital and I was so weak afterwards.

Too much scaremongering going on! What next pigs catching bird flu?

did it go round at xmas (outside hospitals as well)?

sounds a lot like what i caught when i went home for xmas. my mum and step dad had it, then i got it and was really ill

Yep it did Lez, was probably what you had, just vomitting and upset tum for like 3-4 days? x

yep thats what i had

i was just reading up on it, and it says food preperation should be avoided. my mum cooked for me when i went home ::)

It is really bad around here the schools have sent letters out etc, its around all the time but this year/winter it has been fairly bad. We have had a number of tummy bugs in this house but not this virus but like Mary says I wash my hands before I deal with the piggers then when I come in I take off my wellies and wash and antiseptic cream wash my hands if I have a piggy coat too only for piggy use. I think you have to be careful what ever bug you have really.

dazie said:
It is really bad around here the schools have sent letters out etc, its around all the time but this year/winter it has been fairly bad. We have had a number of tummy bugs in this house but not this virus but like Mary says I wash my hands before I deal with the piggers then when I come in I take off my wellies and wash and antiseptic cream wash my hands if I have a piggy coat too only for piggy use. I think you have to be careful what ever bug you have really.

Its the same here O0

i just wash my hands and stuff when i come in and before and after handling them anyway just in case O0

We have had staff off with this and children too. I have no idea whether it is zoonotic and how do people just seem to 'know'? ?

Well as GP's can't vomit I thought it wouldn't be catchable? Or is that my mad method at it again?...lol

There is very little zoonosis between gps and humans and these are rare.

Scientists do not just "know" they do extensive research.

norovirus has never been found in any animal.

I've a slight chest infection after having flu last week, am I right in keeping away from the pigs as much as possible. I've been wearing a scarf around my mouth when feeding them. Sunshine looks at me like I'm an alien! ;D

It does not hurt to be cautious,although they are unlikely to catch your chest infection.Simple hygeine like washing hands before handling and not coughing or sneezing over them,is good practise anyway.

Yep thats what I do anyway. :) I was getting the girls some readigrass a couple of days ago and was just walking in the living room in it when I sneezed and it went all over the floor...lol My Dad says wash your hands after handling the pigs, which of course I do but he thinks I'm mad for doing it before I see to them. :)

maryh said:
There is very little zoonosis between gps and humans and these are rare.

Scientists do not just "know" they do extensive research.

norovirus has never been found in any animal.
And so I would hope Mary! Thats what makes me wonder when these things are said ::) Also I wonder if Vedra said to someone to be careful they may be able to catch it and like chinese whispers the story has changed :)

Vedra is not allowing people into the CCT hospital because she believes guinea pigs can catch it and it's a huge problem because they can't vomit. There's a thread on another forum about it where I answered pretty much the same as what Mary says. There is NO evidence guinea pigs can catch it and NO evidence it can pass between other animals and humans.

http://www.pimms-pages.co.uk/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=33491 (see link to other thread where CCC4 actually visited the CCT).

Not chinese whispers then ::) Has anyone asked Vedra what proof she has/how she knows? Does anyone ever question her?

Just seen the thread and it seems she is being cautious :) The example that CCC4 gave sounds like thats what would happen in theory if they got it. Oh, and if their owners have it wouldn't they have passed it onto their pigs who Vedra still treats? Or have I missed something? I could understand total exclusion of pigs and owners but if its zoonotic and the Human has it they will have passed it to the pig that is handed over the gate to Vedra to treat?

I thought that Karen, and ive never heard of a virus being 'vomitted out', thats just a side effect, not the bodies way of getting better. Who would have the strength to look after pigs if they were constantly vomitting anyway!? i think its a little over cautious but i suppose its better safe than sorry!

daftscotslass said:
Vedra is not allowing people into the CCT hospital because she believes guinea pigs can catch it and it's a huge problem because they can't vomit. There's a thread on another forum about it where I answered pretty much the same as what Mary says. There is NO evidence guinea pigs can catch it and NO evidence it can pass between other animals and humans.

http://www.pimms-pages.co.uk/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=33491 (see link to other thread where CCC4 actually visited the CCT).

Oh dear i thought Vedra was a name of a guinea pig club, you know the letters V E D R A ment something to do with guineas, I could never fatherm out what, ;D now i know why ;D ;D ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back