New Guinea owner

I’m sorry. Hopefully you will find him a friend soon.
Thanks. I got rhe big cage moatly done, but meed to ziptie and do the fleece pads for it. It's makeshift now. Should I let him use it now, or leave it clean for the new piggie when he comes?

So, found out the hard way they can get out of the bars without the coroplast liner 😬😂.

If he didn't hate me before, he will now after chasing him around the room 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Attachments

• 16097240064493470219024019671926.webp
    16097240064493470219024019671926.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 21
Put him in it for now then you can just clean when you find him a friend. At that age they are tiny so you have to be careful.

I made a bigger cage to attach to the hutch, but he wants nothing to do with it. Is it the ramp? Do you think he'll come out and explore at night if I leave goodies?

Also, these are happy runs, right? He's been doing it so much today. It's adorable, but making sure it's okay and normal!

Don't mind my meeting in the background. Lol

Oh, and my cage space. He refuses to go to the big area. The ramp is usually up, I took it down to feed him.

Attachments

• 20210104_161410.webp
    20210104_161410.webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 13
It’s still new to him and he probably feels safer inside the hutch. Are there any hides in the extended area? Perhaps put hides in so he can run from one to the other. Or cover that part with a blanket so he feels more secure. Does he just jump from the hutch to the c&c area?

Zoomies are a good sign 🙂

There is a ramp but I had it down while refilling his hay. He has lots of toys and hidey places! I'll try the blanket in a bit. I'm sure he'll love the space when he figures it out! I'm glad he's happy. Still on the hunt for a companion. Hopefully the end of the week 🤞🤞

Attachments

• 20210104_161443.webp
    20210104_161443.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 14
Having some hideys next to the hutch so if he comes out he has somewhere immediately to go and hide might help. He won’t feel safe having to run such a distance from the hutch to get to the first hide.

he might not like the ramp either (piggies aren’t natural climbers) but as it isnt visible in the pictures, we couldnt offer any further advice on it

Thank you. I'll move the hideys. I covered the ramp with fleece and left some food around. He definitely didn't venture down. Here's a new picture with hideys closer and the ramp.

Attachments

• 16098527234671268675247009465337.webp
    16098527234671268675247009465337.webp
    89.8 KB · Views: 10
Thank you. I'll move the hideys. I covered the ramp with fleece and left some food around. He definitely didn't venture down. Here's a new picture with hideys closer and the ramp.

That’s good. Sometimes they don’t like ramps without sides on them (makes them feel unsafe), but see how things go - your ramp doesn’t look too steep so it in theory shouldn’t be a problem, I think he perhaps just needs to realise that it leads somewhere nice! Perhaps trail some herbs down the ramp to encourage him to explore

I can always take the wheels off the hutch to make it lower if you think that may help!

it would certainly make the gradient less which could help him. The other option is to not use the hutch at all but that’s your call

That’s good. Sometimes they don’t like ramps without sides on them (makes them feel unsafe), but see how things go - your ramp doesn’t look too steep so it in theory shouldn’t be a problem, I think he perhaps just needs to realise that it leads somewhere nice! Perhaps trail some herbs down the ramp to encourage him to explore
Thank you! I'll try that today! I truly appreciate the help.

it would certainly make the gradient less which could help him. The other option is to not use the hutch at all but that’s your call
I was worried about doing away with it because it is where he's most comfortable. I'll try to give him a bit longer to figure it out.

Back