New Guinea owner

Piff12

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! I am a new guinea owner. I got a male guinea that was 5 weeks old a little over a week ago. We do not have any rescues close by, so we purchased him at a local pet shop. I was hesitant because it was a boy, and I know they can be more tempermental to find a mate. I was told males can be alone if we give him enough attention. Obviously, I know now that was horrible advice! I want a companion for him, but without the option of guinea pig dating, I'm terrified to choose wrong and have issues. Another group suggested having him neutered and finding a female companion, but being as he's only 6 weeks, I'm afraid he'll get lonely while waiting for him to mature. Any helpful advice. I'm in the US, not UK, but I hope I can get some advice. Thank you.

:wel:

I'm so glad you now know keeping him alone is not good.

Boars have an undeserved reputation. I have a boar pair myself and they are the most lovely little guys!

Character compatibility is key when finding a suitable friend and without dating you are running the risk of them not getting on. it is unlikely to be an immediate fall out given babies of that age are so desperate for company and should never be alone, but there is a chance once they hit their teens that they may not be compatible - more Boar pairs make it together than not though. In the event of fall out, they would need to live in separate but side by side cages and while that isn’t the same as having a live in partner, through the bar interaction will stop both piggy from being lonely and is the next best option and is preferable to being alone. In this situation each piggy would need a cage a minimum of 120cm x 60cm.

There is a specific procedure for introducing two piggies together and it must be done on neutral territory. This guide explains Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

For two boars to live together, they need a cage measuring 180cm x 60cm. Boars are more territorial so they do need enough room. Space is the second most important factor after character compatibility.

Having him neutered and finding him a sow is an option but he has a long wait to be old enough to be neutered.

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Thank you. Of we were to get a new piggy, we'd have to get it from a store of some sort. The original store bred their own, the only other option is Petsmart. Not sure which is better!
Would you suggest I try with a boy piggie or get a girl and have them side by side until he is beutered and a few weeks past to prevent pregnancy? What wouod you think would be the best option?

I'm legitimately losing sleep because of stress.

I had a smaller rabbit hutch, but now have all the materials to make a 5x3 (150x99) or 6x2 (180x60) C&C cage that I'm making today.

Oh, and it isn't the clearest pic, but I'm 99% sure it's a boy, but I have his vet check this week to be 100%.

Attachments

• 20201227_112612.webp
    20201227_112612.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 1
Thank you. Of we were to get a new piggy, we'd have to get it from a store of some sort. The original store bred their own, the only other option is Petsmart. Not sure which is better!
Would you suggest I try with a boy piggie or get a girl and have them side by side until he is beutered and a few weeks past to prevent pregnancy? What wouod you think would be the best option?

I'm legitimately losing sleep because of stress.

I had a smaller rabbit hutch, but now have all the materials to make a 5x3 (150x99) or 6x2 (180x60) C&C cage that I'm making today.

Character compatibility still applies when finding a sow, so you could still have the same issues that they won’t bond, but once bonded sow/boar pairings are more stable. The decision needs to be yours though and what you would rather try. All we can do is provide the information to help you make a decision. Another guide which may help you A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

Once he is neutered, which can’t be done until between 4 and 6 months of age, he would still need to be kept away from her for six weeks after surgery to become infertile. If you were to have a sow, then you would have to make sure his cage is very secure as a boar can be very determined to escape a cage when there is a sow present
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

I have read all the information provided and think I may try to find a male companion and hope they bond well. I'm really nervous tbh, but I feel it would be cruel to keep him isolated 4-5 months until neutering and waiting until after the neuter.

Should I still quarantine 2 weeks or try and get them together sooner since he is so tiny?

I have read all the information provided and think I may try to find a male companion and hope they bond well. I'm really nervous tbh, but I feel it would be cruel to keep him isolated 4-5 months until neutering and waiting until after the neuter.

More boar pairs do make it together than not, you will just need to see how it goes but have plans in place to separate if when they hit their teens things don’t work out.

To be clear though, if you did get a sow, they would still be able to live in separate but side by side cages for the next few months so he wouldn’t be totally alone.

Such a tough choice. Do you thibk he'd be okay with living side by side for a while? It would be totally seperate cages next to one another so he can't break in. It would be better than no pig at all, right?

I really am unsure what to do. I will definitely need to think on it.

Such a tough choice. Do you thibk he'd be okay with living side by side for a while? It would be totally seperate cages next to one another so he can't break in. It would be better than no pig at all, right?

I really am unsure what to do. I will definitely need to think on it.

Yes side by side is better than being totally alone.

Either way, character compatibility comes first though so it’s not entirely possible to say one sex is better than the other and nobody can tell the future - sow/boar pairings are more stable but that doesn’t mean boar/boar pairings are destined to fail , but if you want my personal opinion, I’d go with another boar as he would be able to have immediate live in company. As I said more boar pairs make it together than not and while getting a piggy on spec is a risk, it’s a risk I would personally take in this situation

Should I still quarantine 2 weeks or try and get them together sooner since he is so tiny?
Being that young his need for social interaction overruns any worries about his passing on or catching anything. So you need to bond him to the new piggy as soon as - only if it’s a boar. If a sow they can’t meet at all until he’s 6 weeks post neuter.

Thank you! So very much. I needed a bit of guidance. I was leaning toward another male, but that's what I'll do. So, i read a 2 week quarantine..is that right or is it more important to have a companion?

:agr:
You don’t quarantine any piggy under four months of age as their need for companionship is so great.
If you get a boar, then you bond, following the procedure in the guide, on the day you bring the new piggy home and have them live together permanently from then on.
if it’s a sow, then put them in side by side cages on the day you bring the new piggy home but don’t let them have any physical interaction.
If the new one brings any illness in, you just need to accept they will possibly both need to be treated

He’s too young to be quarantined. He needs social interaction more than anything. So any friend you get him you have to try bonding straight away. No quarantine ☺️

You can never ask too many questions ☺️

I went to our local pet shop in they had one left, and said it's a boy. Should I post on here to get a double check of sex (in sexing section) or keep them apart until a vet visit?

Welcome to the forum.
It is always encouraging to see new owners asking questions and wanting to learn.
I always think this is a sign of an excellent owner.
I hope that you are finding the forum helpful and will be able to find a companion for your little boy soon.
We like to have fun here as well as the serious stuff.

Welcome to the forum.
It is always encouraging to see new owners asking questions and wanting to learn.
I always think this is a sign of an excellent owner.
I hope that you are finding the forum helpful and will be able to find a companion for your little boy soon.
We like to have fun here as well as the serious stuff.
Thank you!

Have a read of the sexing thread linked below. You’re looking for the presence/absence of a penis ridge on the belly above the slit (feel it on your boy). Or presence/absence of a fleshy seal just inside the slit. If you check your boy you’ll notice it goes straight down.

Do double check the sex of the piggy to be sure it’s a boy. Compare to your current piggy. Check both areas as mentioned above. Fingers crossed it’s a bit. How old is he?

Illustrated Sexing Guide

Have a read of the sexing thread linked below. You’re looking for the presence/absence of a penis ridge on the belly above the slit (feel it on your boy). Or presence/absence of a fleshy seal just inside the slit. If you check your boy you’ll notice it goes straight down.

Do double check the sex of the piggy to be sure it’s a boy. Compare to your current piggy. Check both areas as mentioned above. Fingers crossed it’s a bit. How old is he?

Illustrated Sexing Guide
My current boy is 6 weeks. They couldn't tell ke exactly, but it looks to be the same size.

Okay, so, currently, I have a hutch and wanted to incorporate it since he's been there since we've been home. I'm going to take it off it's wheels. What do you think? I need to zip tie and cut the corrugated plastic, but area wise, is it good. My husband will not be pleased I'm taking up so much room 😂. Too bad, he'll live. They can't climb can they?

Attachments

• 16097074928175046244845496366869.webp
    16097074928175046244845496366869.webp
    79.6 KB · Views: 28
That’s a fabulous space for two boars! It’s up to you whether you take the wheels off. When you do bring home another pig, you’ll have to follow guidelines and introduce them in a neutral area - one that doesn’t smell of your current boy. You then have to thoroughly clean out the hutch and cage area. New bedding and rearrange everything. Make sure you also have two of everything.

I know it’s a lot to take on and you may feel like you’re being bombarded with a house full of info, but you’re doing really well. I assume it was linked in before but not checked so will link again. Guides to boars and bonding.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

That’s a fabulous space for two boars! It’s up to you whether you take the wheels off. When you do bring home another pig, you’ll have to follow guidelines and introduce them in a neutral area - one that doesn’t smell of your current boy. You then have to thoroughly clean out the hutch and cage area. New bedding and rearrange everything. Make sure you also have two of everything.

I know it’s a lot to take on and you may feel like you’re being bombarded with a house full of info, but you’re doing really well. I assume it was linked in before but not checked so will link again. Guides to boars and bonding.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Thank you. I've read through the info! Finishing this tonight and hope he'll still be there tomorrow!

Settled on this layout. Thanks so much for all the info! I'll do another read through tonight before the big day tomorrow 😊

How exciting. Loving your set up. Good luck with the bonding when the time comes.

All the best for tomorrow. I hope they make a lifelong bond 😍

We got all ready tonight and went to pick him up and he was gone 😭😭. Ugh. I don't know when they'll get more. I'm very sad. I'll call around tomorrow 😭

I’m sorry. Hopefully you will find him a friend soon.

Back