New Fleece Bedding Tips Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoespigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok so just started on fleece bedding after using shavings and megazorb. I'm experiencing smells already I can usual clean my 3 girls out every 2-3 days and they don't normally smell its only been one night and I can smell them already. I have puppy pads under the fleece. Any tips? Is this normal for them to smell already?
I was thinking I would wash the liners every other day and pooh pick few times a day. But now thinking its looking more like everyday for washing liners? How often does everyone else do theirs?

Hmm it shouldn't be smelling after only a day. Did you wash the fleece without softener a few times before using it? As if not it could be holding the wee's on the top of the fabric causing it to smell.

Do you have anything (other than puppy pads) under the fleece?
I am thinking about an absorbent layer like towels?
And are you using smaller pads or towels in the areas where they toilet a lot?
If you place separate pads under houses etc it will be easy to just replace those daily, as opposed to the entire fleece layer from the whole cage.

Do you have anything (other than puppy pads) under the fleece?
I am thinking about an absorbent layer like towels?
And are you using smaller pads or towels in the areas where they toilet a lot?
If you place separate pads under houses etc it will be easy to just replace those daily, as opposed to the entire fleece layer from the whole cage.
I only have the puppy pads underneath no towels but do have separate ones under areas where they are normally wetter.

:D I completely agree with @Swissgreys. Puppy pads on their own are too thin.. You need to put towels or maybe a large piece of Zorb fabric (f you can afford it) under the fleece to absorb the urine. Yes, the fleece should work better the more you wash it. Don't use detergents with softener in them, though. Some people use vinegar with their detergent to get rid of the smells. I have two pigs in my 4 x 5 cages and only change the fleece every month. I have washable puppy pads under the hay racks where they wee the most.
Do your piggies have other things that they can wee in, like a box of hay? Or a hay tray for eating and toileting in?

I change mine every 4 days or so because I feel I should, not because it is smelly. Definitely have a go with something more absorbent underneath. When I was researching what best to use I did find a few threads that said that towels as a layer beneath could get a bit whiffy so I went with a mattress protector but plenty of people do seem to get on with towels ok.

hiya! Have you got a fairly sizable cage? I personally find pampers bed mats (for toddlers' beds) the best. They are FAR more absorbant than puppy pads. I put fleece direct on top of those and there's no smell for a full week.

I do think a big cage helps though as the piddle is spread over a wider area. I had to totally change a smaller cage every 2 days when stan was ill because all the pee was concentrated in a small area.

If you find your pigs are spending a lot of time in one specific area, it might be worth putting a large litter tray there with megazorb in it.

Hope that helps. I tried towels when i first started with pigs but i found them really smelly as they hold the smell within them whereas the fleece doesn't hold it.

I used to experience the smells. and one of my rabbits started to show signs of e cuniculi and i was recommended stalosan which not only kills bacteria, fungus or viruses it has worked wonders on neutralising odours on usually potent urine in their litter trays...anyway.....i sprinkle some in piggies litter trays, add paper add more stalosan and then shredded paper and hay and it honestly works a treat, i find sprinkling it between the newspaper and puppy pads also helps - it also absorbs moisture and the smells are now non existent

image.webp image.webp image.webp
I have a 4x2 c&c cage with a 1x2 loft with 3 girls in. Unfortunately they seem to pee mostly around the bottom of the ladder which is a nightmare as cant really put litter tray there. I did try a litter tray with megazorb in but they just liked using it as a bed so I took it out. I've just purchased some washable puppy pads as didnt know u could get them so will give them a try.
My partner says he can't smell them so maybe its just me! Lol! Have added photos of my cage tips are greatful recieved. Just ordered some fleece beds so the hay beds will b going soon think they may also b adding pee smells

image.webp

Your cage looks good and very similar to my winter one. What you could do is use megazorb and hay in your upper storey and just have fleece downstairs. i like megazorb but the problem i find is that it trails through the house when we are carrying the pigs around. this should solve your problem if the pigs spend a lot of time upstairs (which they might like if you fill that up with meadow hay)

The top seems to be quite clean they have food bowls up there with dry food fresh veg and readigrass. The area around their hay bags at the bottom doesn't get very wet only a bit the worst area is round the bottom of the ladder that's definitely their main pee place wondering if I need a shallow tray there.

Also was wondering I'm noticing a few white wee marks on the fleece is this normal or something I need to keep an eye on?

The top seems to be quite clean they have food bowls up there with dry food fresh veg and readigrass. The area around their hay bags at the bottom doesn't get very wet only a bit the worst area is round the bottom of the ladder that's definitely their main pee place wondering if I need a shallow tray there.
You could def put a tray there, the pigs get out and in no problem, would help keep the smell/wet down. My girls go mainly in their tray now

What sort of tray do I need to look for like a cat litter tray? All the ones I've seen look quite deep?
I use a kitten litter tray, smaller and more shallow, I keep a log bridge in it because if it is not weighed down they will tip getting in and out but your ramp will work well for that!

Also was wondering I'm noticing a few white wee marks on the fleece is this normal or something I need to keep an eye on?
Also I think this is normal from what I heard, a surplus of calcium so maybe cut back a little on the calcium rich foods, however I am still new at this, perhaps
Wiebke or another veteran can tell us!

Ok just an update I'm now using washable puppy pads. Found some on amazon that are exact depth of my cage.:clap:
They are still very smelly having to clean whole cage out every other day and pooh picking out 2-3 times a day. The puppy pad is definately doing its job though as I placed tissue on it before taking out and it was bone dry. But they really do smell I'm wondering would it be ok to use a reed defuser or something to mask the smell a bit?
Also ive started rinsing the fleeces again tonight after washing them as wondering if some of the soap is staying in the fleece.:hmm:

Ok just an update I'm now using washable puppy pads. Found some on amazon that are exact depth of my cage.:clap:
They are still very smelly having to clean whole cage out every other day and pooh picking out 2-3 times a day. The puppy pad is definately doing its job though as I placed tissue on it before taking out and it was bone dry. But they really do smell I'm wondering would it be ok to use a reed defuser or something to mask the smell a bit?
Also ive started rinsing the fleeces again tonight after washing them as wondering if some of the soap is staying in the fleece.:hmm:

Please don't use any type of air freshener/diffuser in the same room as the piggies, they are very sensitive to any products like that & they may cause neurological problems. I use a layer of newspaper then towels, followed by a mattress protector sheet, 100% cotton is best, then child bed pads/puppy pads then the fleece on top. Generally this lasts up to 5 days. Sometimes I can smell their wee but I use a tea tray with shallow sides that I fill with newspaper & their hay so most wee goes in there.

try using some white vinegar in the wash.. this might help with any smells

For my 2 girls I have 2 hay trays (kitten litter trays with newspaper and a lot of meadow hay) at each end of the cage. This is great because 9/10 times they will go for wees and poos in there rather than the fleece. That way you can just whip it out, clean and replace when needed and cuts down cleaning time. They actually prefer it this way! They also eat the hay and sleep in it even though they have a hay rack without pee on and plenty of beds... Odd little things!

Either way this might help with the smell, I would recommend 1 hay tray per pig :)

Yes I def recommend using hay or litter trays with the fleece the difference in smell and frequency of liner change is amazing in just a couple days for me!

So just been out and got two kitten litter trays using back to nature paper litter pellets in it at the moment but will see how it goes I have still got some megazorb but reluctant to use it as it seems to go everywhere and don't want it getting stuck in the fleece.image.webp

@Zoespigs thwre was a video that I watched that the piggies were peeing at the end of the latter too and she used fleece wee pads with puppy pads and a bunch of hand towels under breathe for absorbing.

You could put an extra towel and fleece (small) at the bottom of the ramp and just change that every day.My lot move litter trays at one end and pee on the fleece.Those get changed every other day and the big fleece werkly

So update! The litter trays are working well with the hay bags, which i change daily. Just been out and bought some microfibre pads and face cloths as want to try these on top of the puppy pads under fleece by the bottom of ladder.
I've invested in washable puppy pads and love them:luv:. I bought them of amazon and the are perfect width for a 2 cube wide c & c cage so I put 2 at the bottom and fold one in 3 for the loft. Would definately recommend them!
Anyway fleece is going down great with the girls its definately a hit!:clap:
image.webp
image.webp

Yeah is nice to see happy piggies! Please excuse the poo in the photo I couldn't miss the opportunity to get a photo with her legs out did make me laugh!

So update! The litter trays are working well with the hay bags, which i change daily. Just been out and bought some microfibre pads and face cloths as want to try these on top of the puppy pads under fleece by the bottom of ladder.
I've invested in washable puppy pads and love them:luv:. I bought them of amazon and the are perfect width for a 2 cube wide c & c cage so I put 2 at the bottom and fold one in 3 for the loft. Would definately recommend them!
Anyway fleece is going down great with the girls its definately a hit!:clap:
View attachment 48749
View attachment 48750
Great photos.. chilled out piggys x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back