new baby in the herd

Hi!

You always have to sit out the ca. 2 week post-bonding dominance phase. It is not nice but crucial for the group establishment and cohesion. Our bonding guide specifically covers this phase as well, unlike most other bonding guides. Submission screaming is a very effective action; it translates as 'Don't be mean to me; I am not a rival of yours.' It does NOT mean 'I am in pain.'

As long as all piggies are left in peace to sleep and access their food, you should not interfere and let them get on with it. Unlike you, guinea pigs know what is going on.

Please keep everything to just one thread from now on; you are not helping yourself or us if you start lots of threads on the same case.

Hi!

You always have to sit out the ca. 2 week post-bonding dominance phase. It is not nice but crucial for the group establishment and cohesion. As long as all piggies are left in peace to sleep and access their food, you should not interfere and let them get on with it. Unlike you, guinea pigs know what is going on.

Please keep everything to just one thread from now on; you are not helping yourself or us if you start lots of threads on the same case.
Okay thank you, the chasing is this is normal? she’s eating pellets and hay she’s not tried any veggies but i don’t think she’s been introduced to them, they’re all three sat in a big carrier now especially as she’s from the pet shop I wanted to get her checked and the others for a checkup and they’re sat with eachother
yeah sorry about that! my apologies xx

Okay thank you, the chasing is this is normal? she’s eating pellets and hay she’s not tried any veggies but i don’t think she’s been introduced to them, they’re all three sat in a big carrier now especially as she’s from the pet shop I wanted to get her checked and the others for a checkup and they’re sat with eachother
yeah sorry about that! my apologies xx

Hi!

It sounds perfectly normal. Your little girl will pick her cues from the others and will learn what is safe to eat by smelling their mouths and snatching veg from their mouths in the coming weeks once the worst of the dominance phase is over and she is a fully accepted member of the group.

Hi!

It sounds perfectly normal. Your little girl will pick her cues from the others and will learn what is safe to eat by smelling their mouths and snatching veg from their mouths in the coming weeks once the worst of the dominance phase is over and she is a fully accepted member of the group.
so I’ve had them out today on the sofa first was Luna and Badger and the then Dougal and Badger are sat next to eachother now i’ll pop a photo down below.
When luna was sat with Badger, she started nibbling on her ear and bring fine but then after a while Luna began to teeth chattering slightly and she lunged a tiny bit at Badger, is this normal?
Same with Dougal she’s sat now with Badger but if Badger begins to sniff her she’ll go for her. is this all standard dominance?

Attachments

• FBEBD735-489D-4349-ACA7-F32029CD6B90.webp
    FBEBD735-489D-4349-ACA7-F32029CD6B90.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 40138B97-0331-49CC-89D7-CEDF75F64EFF.webp
    40138B97-0331-49CC-89D7-CEDF75F64EFF.webp
    105.6 KB · Views: 5
so I’ve had them out today on the sofa first was Luna and Badger and the then Dougal and Badger are sat next to eachother now i’ll pop a photo down below.
When luna was sat with Badger, she started nibbling on her ear and bring fine but then after a while Luna began to teeth chattering slightly and she lunged a tiny bit at Badger, is this normal?
Same with Dougal she’s sat now with Badger but if Badger begins to sniff her she’ll go for her. is this all standard dominance?

Lunging is a defensive behaviour, meaning 'stay away from me'. If it is heeded by the other party, then it is not a problem. In your case, it is a very mild gesture. She's basically just telling the others that she is fed up with being dominated. At the end of the dominance phase the underpiggy usually get their space to say how much they will tolerate being walked over or not.

PLEASE read our bonding guides to spare yourself all that anxiety.
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

The gold coloured one in the photo, looks exactly like my male guinea pig (Peanut!) :lol:

Back