New addition how long to quarantine

So here is the craigslist photo of the curly. I have no idea what breed she is, but I'm in love with this crazy afro and the original buyer just did a no show, so she and her sister are coming home with me. Gah! This hair! This is gonna call for more hair products lol. Any excuse for a new brush. I can't wait till Tuesday now. Maybe she has Lunk in her?

This is my xmas gift to me and Seraphina lol. View attachment 161839
That is one cute piggy, but then if you’re looking at breeders that’s what you’re likely to see. Most piggies you see for sale by breeders are specifically bred so that they look cute (usually a fluffy breed rather than an American for example) and draw the most customers. Even though you do see some cutie pies, I think it would be too against my morals!
As a forum, we’re against intentional breeding for several reasons. There are already too many piggies needing homes in rescues (the longest I travelled to a rescue was almost 4 hours one way). Intentional breeding disregards guinea pig welfare, piggies getting pregnant too young or too many times or too often, etc - basically health not being taken into account along with stud guinea pigs who are usually condemned to a life alone once the breeder is done with them at about a year old as they can no longer live with males. A lot of the time, appearance is the most important factor and piggies are purely seen as profit. Guinea pigs in these environments can be stressed the entire pregnancy and nursing period and in return produce babies who inherit this fear and never lose it so will resort to their prey animal instincts at the first sign of uncertainty.
I understand getting piggies off of free ads - you’re not buying directly from the breeder and you’re giving a home to an unwanted piggy. I have one like that myself, though he wasn’t unwanted. His family wanted a better life for him as he had lived alone for 5 years.
If you can’t get from a rescue or free ads, pet shops are the next best bet. I had to get a pet shop piggy, much against my morals, as I had a newly single pig who wasn’t eating properly and the rescue close to me could offer no help (I also was unable to travel to rescues further afield at that time). I believe pet shops (at least in the UK) use breeders who follow certain welfare procedures which makes it slightly more ethical/moral. In my case, there were 3 left at the pet shop and I needed one which then felt even more moral as one would be going as a single or all three as a trio (boar trios don’t usually work out).
Anyway, the point of what I’m saying is be careful buying from online breeders. I know they look cute, but it’s important to consider where they come from. In my hunt for a single pig, as I mentioned above, a vet receptionist put me in contact with someone they knew who had guinea pigs. Anyway, turns out they were a breeder - one who entered piggy shows and was interested in breeding satin guinea pigs and satin carriers. This is a condition which makes the fur look glossy but in turn can give the piggies osteodystrophy. I was never planning on buying from a breeder, but to me that summed up everything I needed to know. A vast majority of breeders don’t care about the pigs and their health, just how they look.
You’ll always see breeders selling cute pigs, but they only carry on breeding because people are buying and they’re making profit - even if the piggies suffer because of it. You’re obviously free to make your own choices and without judgement, but it’s just some food for thought :)

I've actually done all of the above at some point. Here we push for never offering them for free though. It is often discouraged to offer any animal for free. Owners are told those pets often end up as bait, food, or used for lab tests. So here it will he rare to see a free animal. In fact I did recently see a free rodent ...why? The snake was afraid of it when it was given to it to be eaten. As a result they were giving the rodent away free "for food or pet".

I don't mind travelling to a reputable rescue, but our closest ones are out of state, the state has closed its borders and every rescue I've tried to work with is pathetic at communication. I once paid the adoption fee only to find out after weeks of trying to schedule a pick up 3.5 hours away that they gave my piggie to someone else. Never did get my adoption fee back. Was told I could apply it to another one and then they stopped replying to messages all together.

I'm very particular with stores I've learned which ones use breeders that are prone to inbreeding and which ones have refused to work with breeders who do that.

I will be able to see how they are kept as they are letting me come to them directly. If I am uneasy about anything, I can always back out.

Are these critters an impulse buy? Probably. But I'm o.k. with that. I wasn't actively looking, but I also can't resist these little floofs either. So...happy birthday to me. I'm building a piggie palace anyway. Might as well have a few more princesses to live in it.

I know offering animals for free is discouraged - by that I generally mean they were pets looking for homes. They had already originally been purchased and then are being sold on because they’re now unwanted or don’t get enough love. Animals rarely go away now for free with the exception of Facebook rehoming sites. But by saying for ‘free’ I generally mean unwanted pets rather than bred for profit.
I know some rescues can be finicky too, believe me. I also know pet shops in the US operate somewhat to differently to the UK, I’ve heard really bad petsmart horror stories!
I’m not judging you, honestly! My point was that there will always be adorable guinea pigs for sale by breeders, and when they look so cute it can be so easy to want to buy them all. But try not to make breeders your only source of buying piggies. I read that you mentioned earlier you bought one from a breeder that only lived 2 years which made me wonder if you generally always buy from breeders and perhaps didn’t know about how poor the quality of life can be for the pigs used to breed.

There’s also nothing wrong with impulse buying as long as you have the financial means to support them, which you do :)

I know offering animals for free is discouraged - by that I generally mean they were pets looking for homes. They had already originally been purchased and then are being sold on because they’re now unwanted or don’t get enough love. Animals rarely go away now for free with the exception of Facebook rehoming sites. But by saying for ‘free’ I generally mean unwanted pets rather than bred for profit.
I know some rescues can be finicky too, believe me. I also know pet shops in the US operate somewhat to differently to the UK, I’ve heard really bad petsmart horror stories!
I’m not judging you, honestly! My point was that there will always be adorable guinea pigs for sale by breeders, and when they look so cute it can be so easy to want to buy them all. But try not to make breeders your only source of buying piggies. I read that you mentioned earlier you bought one from a breeder that only lived 2 years which made me wonder if you generally always buy from breeders and perhaps didn’t know about how poor the quality of life can be for the pigs used to breed.

There’s also nothing wrong with impulse buying as long as you have the financial means to support them, which you do :)
No. She was actually my only breeder purchase before lol. She died from grief when my original rescue passed away from old age. That one was a pig who had been bought as a pet and ignored for six months. Sad story. Scarlett was silent until we brought her a friend home.

I went with a breeder simply because I wanted a long haired piggie. And after a year of looking through those far away rescues and on classified ads the rescue who took my money and ran left me discouraged and I vented on a forum about it. That breeder reached out to me and I shrugged and got my long haired Willow the the black mop.

Scarlett was kind of the alpha of the three so when she passed the other two stopped eating. We couldn't force feed Willow enough and she passed. Vet said it was literally a case of dying from a broken heart. The remaining girl we almost lost, but in a desperate ploy to see if companionship would help, an almost identical version of my remaining girl was bought from a pet store. Best 35 dollars I ever spent. Immediately she started eating again. Didn't fix the overgrown teeth from not chewing, but a dental visit and she survived to a good old age too.

Official companion piggie for my PEW peruvian I found at a VERY trust worthy pet shop is from there too. The information thet require you to listen to is spit on for care. I've never even seen a pet store here provide veggies and this one feeds them veg from the start. They really operate more like a bunch of slaves to cavies. LOL I've considered getting a second job there just for a change of pace from the hospital...and so I can play with them all without wanting to bring them home. There is a blind and deaf ferret there that is the store mascot and she is spoiled rotten.

So. . . All that to say...nope. I usually DON'T use breeders. But my girls have always come from various places.

Next step...hunting down a closer exotics vet. I love them, but I feel like I live in a major city now and probably don't need to keep driving an hour for care lol. Their vet owns piggies and squeals every time we go. So I hope I can find someone closer like her. The cats vet is located, just not experienced enough in cavies for me.

O.k. that was a novel. I just got out of work (12 hours sitting with a sleeping patient who MIGHT wake up and pull their IV out) and I have to go feed the girls and the bossy catto.

Time to sleep and come back for night 4. This place is trying to kill me.

No. She was actually my only breeder purchase before lol. She died from grief when my original rescue passed away from old age. That one was a pig who had been bought as a pet and ignored for six months. Sad story. Scarlett was silent until we brought her a friend home.

I went with a breeder simply because I wanted a long haired piggie. And after a year of looking through those far away rescues and on classified ads the rescue who took my money and ran left me discouraged and I vented on a forum about it. That breeder reached out to me and I shrugged and got my long haired Willow the the black mop.

Scarlett was kind of the alpha of the three so when she passed the other two stopped eating. We couldn't force feed Willow enough and she passed. Vet said it was literally a case of dying from a broken heart. The remaining girl we almost lost, but in a desperate ploy to see if companionship would help, an almost identical version of my remaining girl was bought from a pet store. Best 35 dollars I ever spent. Immediately she started eating again. Didn't fix the overgrown teeth from not chewing, but a dental visit and she survived to a good old age too.

Official companion piggie for my PEW peruvian I found at a VERY trust worthy pet shop is from there too. The information thet require you to listen to is spit on for care. I've never even seen a pet store here provide veggies and this one feeds them veg from the start. They really operate more like a bunch of slaves to cavies. LOL I've considered getting a second job there just for a change of pace from the hospital...and so I can play with them all without wanting to bring them home. There is a blind and deaf ferret there that is the store mascot and she is spoiled rotten.

So. . . All that to say...nope. I usually DON'T use breeders. But my girls have always come from various places.

Next step...hunting down a closer exotics vet. I love them, but I feel like I live in a major city now and probably don't need to keep driving an hour for care lol. Their vet owns piggies and squeals every time we go. So I hope I can find someone closer like her. The cats vet is located, just not experienced enough in cavies for me.

O.k. that was a novel. I just got out of work (12 hours sitting with a sleeping patient who MIGHT wake up and pull their IV out) and I have to go feed the girls and the bossy catto.

Time to sleep and come back for night 4. This place is trying to kill me.
I was really after a fuzzy piggy too to go with my BB. My last two have been smooth haired so I had my fingers crossed I’d land on a teddy as I absolutely adore them. Our new little baby pig ended up being smooth haired, he’s still lovely though! Since I have boars, I’ve never been in a position to ‘choose’ like you can with girlies. Usually we take them boar dating at a rescue and then they choose who they choose. With our new baby, he was the most submissive in the pet shop hierarchy which is why we chose him for our dominant BB. Still thinking of a name for him, he just goes by baby pig, lol.
It’s horrible when they become heart broken after losing a friend, isn’t it? I’m sorry you lost one of yours because of it :( With our BB, he was paired with our senior piggy, Little. They were bonded at a rescue but BB was petrified, as he came out of his shell he decided he wanted to be in charge so he started bullying Little quite badly. Little is also very special needs so an easy target. We ended up splitting them, it was such a shame because they do really care about each other but just couldn’t make it work. The splitting made BB so upset, stopped moving, barely ate without encouragement, had no will to live really. It was like he was in acute pining, as yours was, but no one had passed away just been separated. It’s so sad. We haven’t had baby pig long, less than a week, but BB’s perked up massively, back to his old self and then some. It’s amazing what a new and compatible friend can do for them!
Exotic vets can be a nuisance to find, where I live we don’t have any close by. About a 40 min drive and even then the exotic vets there are hit and miss. Some good, some terrible. You’re lucky you’ve found a good one to fall back on! A really good exotic vet is a rare thing. My most trusted vet is one that’s about 3 hours away, and whilst that might not seem much in the US, here it’s a really long journey when you think about doing the 3 hours back! Luckily piggies travel quite well.
Hope you were able to sleep well and that your extra long shift isn’t too bad. My back hurts just thinking about that - but then I do suffer from chronic pain lol.

Sleep was interrupted by the guys upstairs fighting. Things were thrown. Lots of screaming and cussing. It ended with one storming out to call someone for emotional support....right outside my door.

Night 4 is proving to be a doozy. One more night. One more night. One more night.

Then clean the cage and introduce Arwen to Seraphina, go get the new babies, nab the kiddo from dad and let him start helping build a bigger cage...oh...and wrapping presents since we haven't done xmas yet lol. I'm already tired. Hahaha.

I need to find mythical/fairies that were sisters so they can have matchy names. I thought about Aphrodite and Athena, but then with Arwen it would leave Seraphina with the odd name out lol.

Ok...today is a big day in this house. Work week finally over so I can introduce companion piggie Arwen to Seraphina.

However, my impulse piggies are here too in need of a bum bath.

So...introduce the first two yes.

Next questions...to bum bathe the newbies today or let them settle first?

Introduce everyone together and hope for the best, or let the two new girls quarantine a week or two? They are together from their last home.

Turns out she wasn't a breeder. She gets *retired pigs* from shows so they arent discarded, but two were preggers unknown to the original owners, hence the babies on craigslist.

The pups are about two weeks apart in age.

So, do I introduce them today in one big introduction and risk everyone getting sick but securing a herd social structure, or just let them quarantine and have 2 bonded pairs that eventually live together.

:agr:

If they definitely need a bath, then thats fine, but definitely let them settle in first

Quarantine needs to be two weeks in a separate room

Are their bums particularly dirty? You could wipe them down with just water...

Are their bums particularly dirty? You could wipe them down with just water...
Oh yeah. I just posted a *double checking* in the sexing board. I did water and a tiny drop of shampoo, not even enough to sud. But even post bath the white fur piggie still has a dirty looking bum.

I've named the new girls after Valkyrie. White one is Eir (that Valkyrie's name means Peace or Mercy).

Curly one...Kára which means curly haired one or like Odin.

New girls locked in the bathroom in a plastic tote where cat can't reach.

Seraphina and Arwen have been introduced. Arwen looks so tiny next to Seraphina. They are only a few weeks apart in age, but Seraphina has so much hair she looks bigger than she is. Arwen immediately ran under her bum and both just sat there for an hour. They are now popcorning and exploring the cage, sometimes together, sometimes apart. There is constant conversational chatter going on.

I've been using a bowl for Arwen as I couldnt figure out how to attach a bottle to where she was quarantined. and it took her a while to catch on. She was so excited to see an actual water bottle she guzzled with gusto and stopped long enough to do a few popcorn before going back for more.

This has actually been one of the easiest introductions I've done yet. Camera battery too low for a pic with the light off and I've officially curled up to nap so I'm not getting up to turn on the light. I'll take a pic later...maybe after I clean up my floor lol. I have bags for xmas everywhere with things I need to wrap since work means we are celebrating later.

Unfortunately I think it’s hard to keep white piggies pristine. Glad to hear the bonding has gone well

Unfortunately I think it’s hard to keep white piggies pristine. Glad to hear the bonding has gone well
Yeah. I know, but this is worse than I've had. I just end up with white bottomed piggies somehow. Mine are never like this. I will get her clean. It will just take a bit.

Be careful not to wash her too much. That strips them of their natural oils.

Back