New addition how long to quarantine

Sgboyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. I found a wee friend for Seraphina. I have her quarantined in my bathroom for now. I usually quarantine 2 weeks when introducing a new pig just to be sure it is healthy.

I've had this wee mite since Sunday and I'm wondering if I can shorten quarantine. She is in a box but it is small as that's the only room I could fit anything and keep her away from the cat. I've also been putting water in a small bowl but I think she spills it more than drinks it.

That said, I'm anxious to introduce sooner than later so I can add her to the proper cage with Seraphina. Do you think it is safe yet or should I continue to wait?

Pic of the new sprite for attention. Her name is Arwen.
20201221_150303.webp

Congratulations on your lovely new addition!

I’m sure much more experienced people than myself will be along, but I believe quarantine should be 2-3 weeks. But factors relating to the piggies background and where you got her from could influence this?

I currently have a little guy in quarantine. It’s difficult when he’s wheeking away and calling to my others in another room (I feel terrible), but it’s very necessary.

is your bathroom an ideal, consistent temperature for her whilst she’s quarantining?

Temp is constant. Light bulb just blew so she will be in the dark until I can get out to the store tomorrow for a new one lol. Happy christmas lol.

It is the only room I can keep the cat p7t of so it is the safest place for her until she can go in the cage.

Temp is constant. Light bulb just blew so she will be in the dark until I can get out to the store tomorrow for a new one lol. Happy christmas lol.

It is the only room I can keep the cat p7t of so it is the safest place for her until she can go in the cage.
🙈 typical for it to blow on Xmas. She definitely won’t mind the dark :) It will just be you navigating the bathroom in the dark lol.

Glad she’s safe and warm in there! Hope bonding her goes well for you (when quarantine is over) 🤞🏻

I've always had good luck bonding (touch wood) so I'm not worried there. Both are lonely. Seraphina is actually trying to befriend the cat she is that desperate for a friend lol. She runs to him chattering when he comes close to the cage (he can't get into the cage at all). Thankfully she is getting big enough he no longer ponders if she is a snack, but the new gal is still tiny, so locked away from him she stays.

Baby piggies are desperate for comfort and leadership from other Piggies so normal quarantine rules don't apply. She needs the company of another piggy ASAP and it sounds as if Seraphina needs piggy company too. If Arwen has anything you'll just have to cope with 2 piggies having it I'm afraid.

I've always had good luck bonding (touch wood) so I'm not worried there. Both are lonely. Seraphina is actually trying to befriend the cat she is that desperate for a friend lol. She runs to him chattering when he comes close to the cage (he can't get into the cage at all). Thankfully she is getting big enough he no longer ponders if she is a snack, but the new gal is still tiny, so locked away from him she stays.
I have my 8 month old boar now befriending me at every opportunity bless him. Can’t wait to get him in to meet the others!

Baby piggies are desperate for comfort and leadership from other Piggies so normal quarantine rules don't apply. She needs the company of another piggy ASAP and it sounds as if Seraphina needs piggy company too. If Arwen has anything you'll just have to cope with 2 piggies having it I'm afraid.

:agr: If the piggy is that young then the need for company surpasses the need for quarantine. Please bond ASAP and be alive to health issues that may affect both piggies.

Huh. Never heard that before. I guess that's why I often end up weighing daily and giving critical care for pups that refuse to eat when I get them.

Thanks. I will start the bonding as soon as my work week is over. I'm in the middle of five 12 hour overnight shifts right now. Merry christmas to me lol.

Huh. Never heard that before. I guess that's why I often end up weighing daily and giving critical care for pups that refuse to eat when I get them.

Thanks. I will start the bonding as soon as my work week is over. I'm in the middle of five 12 hour overnight shifts right now. Merry christmas to me lol.

Hi!

You may find these guides here helpful:
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

All the best!

Thanks. I've owned many cavies through the years and I still learn new things.

So do I - it's a life-long learning curve. New things and insights happen all the time. ;)

PS: If you love piggies, do you know that there is a Guinea Pig Magazine that is available worldwide as a download as well as in print? Lots of interesting stuff in there and some high quality information. The medical and welfare articles are always written by veterinary personnel with an interest in guinea pigs. I do write an article that has to do with guinea behaviour and human interactive aspects in the widest sense for every issue. A subscription makes a great present. Last year I followed a guinea pig life from birth to death through all ages.
https://www.guineapigmagazine.com/

So do I - it's a life-long learning curve. New things and insights happen all the time. ;)

PS: If you love piggies, do you know that there is a Guinea Pig Magazine that is available worldwide as a download as well as in print? Lots of interesting stuff in there and some high quality information. The medical and welfare articles are always written by veterinary personnel with an interest in guinea pigs. I do write an article that has to do with guinea behaviour and human interactive aspects in the widest sense for every issue. A subscription makes a great present. Last year I followed a guinea pig life from birth to death through all ages.
https://www.guineapigmagazine.com/
Mayhaps a happy birthday to me present. I am kind of addicted to these babes. I may or may not have hemmed and hawed all night at work over a long haired curly and a long haired silkie pup I stumbled on on craigslist (not sure if UK has it but it's like Facebook marketplace). Hnnnng. I haven't gotten a bday gift in years...and my cage should be big enough when I'm done building it for 4 girls. (It would bring me up to 4)

I would say be careful about the piggies on Craigslist. The owners may not be entirely honest about their background. If you decide to take any in you have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

I would say be careful about the piggies on Craigslist. The owners may not be entirely honest about their background. If you decide to take any in you have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.
I feel like it's a crap shoot regardless here. I had a pig from a reputable breeder I drove HOURS to get die in less than 2 years, while an impulse pet store buy had a long life ending in old age. I feel like you have to be prepared for the worst regardless.

I think if it’s not from a ‘reputable’ rescue where you can really investigate how they take care of them then it’s definitely a case of preparing for the worst. With regards breeders (and shops) they’re in it for the money. And they don’t know the genetics of those they’re breeding. Sorry ☹️

Yes of course reputable rescues are always recommended, but 4 of my 8 piggies were randomly aquired from the free ads- ranging from completely healthy little boar Theo being given away after 4 weeks with an awful teenager who thought he was boring, to Blodwen (who came from a lying breeder trying to offload reject stock) with ringworm and needing emergency expensive dental surgery... as long as you are prepared for the worst regarding vet bills!
If your new baby is lonely, her emotional needs might outweigh the sensible quarantine considerations, as long as you are prepared to take all piggies to the vet if your new girl has come with any infectious diseases. Best of luck! X

I think if it’s not from a ‘reputable’ rescue where you can really investigate how they take care of them then it’s definitely a case of preparing for the worst. With regards breeders (and shops) they’re in it for the money. And they don’t know the genetics of those they’re breeding. Sorry ☹
Closest rescue is 3 hours away, next is 3.5 or 4, both of which are out of state, which is a no go with covid. Our state is closed. But I did try to rescue from the 3 hour away place (the other never responded to a single email) and even after their rigorous application form and agreeing to a home study if they wished they stopped communicating after my approval and never set up our meeting. I decided to forgo that and opted more local. If I can see them face to face and hold them to double check sex and look for any wounds/skin issues, see where they are kept and how they feed them I don't care where I get them.

I can't guarantee any cavie has not been inbred regardless of location, rescue or store. So I go with my gut instead, and ask tons of questions.

Yes of course reputable rescues are always recommended, but 4 of my 8 piggies were randomly aquired from the free ads- ranging from completely healthy little boar Theo being given away after 4 weeks with an awful teenager who thought he was boring, to Blodwen (who came from a lying breeder trying to offload reject stock) with ringworm and needing emergency expensive dental surgery... as long as you are prepared for the worst regarding vet bills!
If your new baby is lonely, her emotional needs might outweigh the sensible quarantine considerations, as long as you are prepared to take all piggies to the vet if your new girl has come with any infectious diseases. Best of luck! X
This is really how I feel (well I didnt know about community needs of puls outweighing health till now). Vet savings I feel is the most important aspect of cavie care so you can deal with any issues that arise. I try to keep a small bit stashed for vet care. I had one blow through almost 1k once though in a few weeks. That I wasn't ready for. Lesson learned. We ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly to make up for that bill. LOL

This is really how I feel (well I didnt know about community needs of puls outweighing health till now). Vet savings I feel is the most important aspect of cavie care so you can deal with any issues that arise. I try to keep a small bit stashed for vet care. I had one blow through almost 1k once though in a few weeks. That I wasn't ready for. Lesson learned. We ate a lot of peanut butter and jelly to make up for that bill. LOL

In my worst ever year of keeping piggies I spent over £2k in 3 months at the vets. Fortunately I had a good job at the time but it still hit me very hard in the pocket!

A good tip if you do need to quarantine a lonely piggy (poor Blodwen was desperately lonely but also had really obvious ringworm so we couldnt risk infecting the whole herd) is to take a handful of poops and peed on hay from your other piggy cage every day and pop it in with the new piggy, its like piggy social media posts and can really cheer a lonely piggy up and keep them entertained and start the getting to know each other process before they can meet in person!
Poor Blodwen spent a very long 3 weeks in quarantine but she got a daily pee-and-poop message from her future friends delivered to her quarantine cage, and it really perked her up- then when she met them it was like they were old friends and she knew straight away who everypig was and who was the boss and where she fitted in :)

A good tip if you do need to quarantine a lonely piggy (poor Blodwen was desperately lonely but also had really obvious ringworm so we couldnt risk infecting the whole herd) is to take a handful of poops and peed on hay from your other piggy cage every day and pop it in with the new piggy, its like piggy social media posts and can really cheer a lonely piggy up and keep them entertained and start the getting to know each other process before they can meet in person!
Poor Blodwen spent a very long 3 weeks in quarantine but she got a daily pee-and-poop message from her future friends delivered to her quarantine cage, and it really perked her up- then when she met them it was like they were old friends and she knew straight away who everypig was and who was the boss and where she fitted in :)
:lol!: 'like piggie social media posts' - except rather more trustworthy than some !

Ooooh. Good idea.

So here is the craigslist photo of the curly. I have no idea what breed she is, but I'm in love with this crazy afro and the original buyer just did a no show, so she and her sister are coming home with me. Gah! This hair! This is gonna call for more hair products lol. Any excuse for a new brush. I can't wait till Tuesday now. Maybe she has Lunk in her?

This is my xmas gift to me and Seraphina lol. Screenshot_20201227-024132_Chrome.webp

What a gorgeous walking wig! Er .... Which end is which? :hmm: I think you will need to read my An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting for help with this little one!
I had a black peruvian and I would give her bangs because it flopped in her eyes. We called her a mop. Her official named (named by 3 tipsy ladies and a 7 year old) Princess Willow of Fluffingdom ... the Third (because the 7 year old said that was more royal). PWF 3rd would glare at me like I ruined her life with a bad hair cut every time lol. She is now a princess over the rainbow bridge.

That said any tips for making them cute I will take, because I've been told guinea pig cosmetology is not my forte. Hahaha.

Back