Neutering question

Cambridge Piggles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
At what age can I neuter my boars ? They are currently separated after some serious fighting and I am getting them sows now. Also how long after neutering will they be infertile? I’ve tried to search the forum but can’t find anything . Thanks!

Brilliant thank you. That’s a long wait! Hope my boars will be ok alone for so long. Poor babies :(

They will be fine being side by side.

As I’ve said before, two of my boys are side by side and have been for well over a year now.
I can’t neuter them and bond with sows as my bonded boar pair cannot be around sows. I also can’t cope with six piggies (plus my two rabbits as well!) so they will be single/side by side probably forever. (Once my older two pass away I don’t think I’ll get more piggies and will just see out my pet ownership with the four animals).

As I’ve said before, two of my boys are side by side and have been for well over a year now.
I can’t neuter them and bond with sows as my bonded boar pair cannot be around sows. I also can’t cope with six piggies (plus my two rabbits as well!) so they will be single/side by side probably forever. (Once my older two pass away I don’t think I’ll get more piggies and will just see out my pet ownership with the four animals).
Piggy dynamics are so complicated! Would love to see photos of your bunnies! I used to have rabbits :)

Aww just seen them in your profile pic! So cute

Piggy dynamics are so complicated! Would love to see photos of your bunnies! I used to have rabbits :)
These are the two girls I have now - Saffron and Luna
The white boy in my profile picture passed away coming on for two years ago now (old age).
The girls will turn 4 years old this summer and are, I think, the 9th pair I’ve had over the past 35 years!

Attachments

• IMG_1192.webp
    IMG_1192.webp
    182.2 KB · Views: 2
These are the two girls I have now - Saffron and Luna
The white boy in my profile picture passed away coming on for two years ago now (old age).
The girls will turn 4 years old this summer and are, I think, the 9th pair I’ve had over the past 35 years!
Lovely buns x

Absolutely! Should I keep the girls side by side with the boys? Or keep the boys side by side?

Are the girls already a bonded pair that you are going to split up or are they currently two singles?

How old are they?
Are they from a reputable rescue (ie wood green)? This is important due to quarantine needs.

If they are a bonded pair, then they should stay together, with the boys either side of them (so three cages together), while the boys await their neutering.
You must make sure the boys cages are secure as they may try to escape and get in with the girls. No hides next to the edge, make the cages two grids high or add lids (determined boars have been known to climb or jump to get in with girls).

If the girls are singles and you don’t intend to bond them while the boys wait their neutering, then you will have four cages but it won’t matter which two are side by side at this point - it’s just important that no piggy is left without side by side interaction. Again, make sure the boys cages are secure.

Are the girls already a bonded pair that you are going to split up or are they currently two singles?

How old are they?
Are they from a reputable rescue (ie wood green)? This is important due to quarantine needs.

If they are a bonded pair, then they should stay together, with the boys either side of them (so three cages together), while the boys await their neutering.
You must make sure the boys cages are secure as they may try to escape and get in with the girls. No hides next to the edge, make the cages two grids high or add lids (determined boars have been known to climb or jump to get in with girls).

If the girls are singles and you don’t intend to bond them while the boys wait their neutering, then you will have four cages but it won’t matter which two are side by side at this point - it’s just important that no piggy is left without side by side interaction. Again, make sure the boys cages are secure.
Woodgreen had a single pig and a bonded pair ! I got sooooo lucky! They are approx 6 months old

How old are they?

So one boy will go with the single and another with a bonded girls. I’m a bit stressed out by all this ! I just hope this works

Character comes first but being young can help. (If they were older then a bonded pair of sows can sometimes be difficult about letting anyone else into their bond).

So they will all be quarantined already and vet checked so you can go straight and put them side by side. They will get to know each other through the bars over the coming months.

When it comes to bonding day itself, let us know and we will guide you through it.

Character comes first but being young can help. (If they were older then a bonded pair of sows can sometimes be difficult about letting anyone else into their bond).

So they will all be quarantined already and vet checked so you can go straight and put them side by side. They will get to know each other through the bars over the coming months.

When it comes to bonding day itself, let us know and we will guide you through it.
I feel totally out of my depth so any help is appreciated. I now have a dedicated “pig room” 😂

They have given you a VERY steep learning curve haven't they?
My boys were old enough for neutering when they had a bond break but they couldn't even be neighbours.

They have given you a VERY steep learning curve haven't they?
My boys were old enough for neutering when they had a bond break but they couldn't even be neighbours.
Yes! Haha. Hopefully they will be ok in the end. I’m very lucky the rescue centre had the girls i needed !

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a little bit jealous. I would have liked to have a herd. I'm not sure Dignified Sir George would like living with ladies. He's far too fastidious to cope with having pee sprayed at him!

Sad news. I’m currently living with my parents and they’ve totally done a u-turn on number of pigs they want in the house which seems ridiculous considering they’ve allowed me a whole room with pigs (we have a room which is never used and I’m going to be moving out again eventually). I’m gutted. So I called woodgreen and they can take the two single males and sort them out with partners (which works out better than me doing it as they have more scope to experiment with intros and ‘date’ them). I got two females who are WAY younger then they originally told me!! I think the lady on the phone I spoke to was clueless. So I picked up two TEN WEEK OLD girls who were born in the centre I think(?). They are called Mabel and Tibs. Photos attached. I am delighted to look after these girls but feeling a sense of loss over the boys. The whole thing as been so dramatic so soon and I can’t get my head around it :(

Attachments

• IMG_0149.webp
    IMG_0149.webp
    97.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0151.webp
    IMG_0151.webp
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
Oh gosh I’m so sorry to hear that.

The girls are gorgeous though. (10 weeks old isn’t so young in terms of rehoming if that is what you are worried about)

Oh gosh I’m so sorry to hear that.

The girls are gorgeous though. (10 weeks old isn’t so young in terms of rehoming if that is what you are worried about)
I know it sounds dumb but I’m 37 and have been crying over it. I really bonded with those boys. Alas- it wasn’t meant to be. I just hope woodgreen can bond them successfully! I was just surprised over the ten week old thing as they originally told me six months 😂

Not silly at all. You are grieving their loss.
A broken bond and its consequences isn’t easy to cope with but sometimes giving them up so they can have new friends is the best thing.
Should I be weighing my piggies daily? I’m just not wanting to disturb them too much initially. Shall I wait a week or so before the first weigh in? Really so much appreciate all your advice

Should I be weighing my piggies daily? I’m just not wanting to disturb them too much initially. Shall I wait a week or so before the first weigh in? Really so much appreciate all your advice

Yes, give them a week to settle in and then weigh them next weekend
They don’t need to be weighed daily unless you have health concerns.

Sad news. I’m currently living with my parents and they’ve totally done a u-turn on number of pigs they want in the house which seems ridiculous considering they’ve allowed me a whole room with pigs (we have a room which is never used and I’m going to be moving out again eventually). I’m gutted. So I called woodgreen and they can take the two single males and sort them out with partners (which works out better than me doing it as they have more scope to experiment with intros and ‘date’ them). I got two females who are WAY younger then they originally told me! I think the lady on the phone I spoke to was clueless. So I picked up two TEN WEEK OLD girls who were born in the centre I think(?). They are called Mabel and Tibs. Photos attached. I am delighted to look after these girls but feeling a sense of loss over the boys. The whole thing as been so dramatic so soon and I can’t get my head around it :(

HUGS

I am so very sorry. Try to see it that you are offering your boys the chance of a happy life that you sadly couldn't give them - not your fault, so please don't feel bad or guilty. You truly have done your best.

Please be aware that because you love them dearly you are currently going through a kind of grieving process; not quite the full one but don't underestimate it. Give yourself the time and space and also to absorb the shock from the sudden changes.

And please enjoy your little baby girls and their antics; rescue born babies are not at all rare since far too many sows arrive in rescue pregnant. I have adopted a few of them myself over the years (sometimes with their mum or a sister/half-sister) although most of my adoptees have been older. :(
They grow up so quickly but they are at the bottom end of rehoming age and the same age as pet shop piggies are being sold. Take plenty of pictures and videos of those precious weeks when piggies are at their most delightful.

Back