• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Need some advice please

• Thread starter Thread starter Vicky(Smudger)
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tulip has had a little more food, she doesnt seem to like taking too much in one go. She has also tried to nibble on some grass and I think she actually ate a couple of strands.

I'm just waiting for hubby to get back with some Bonjela recommended by GG for some pain relief until I get back to the vets this afternoon.

Although she has eaten a little its quite touch and go, she is very withdrawn.

Will let you know how we get on this afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for their support and advice.

Good luck at the vets, will be thinking of you both this afternoon x

Good news that she has managed to take some food Vicky, even a little is better than nothing. Thinking of you both, good luck later.xx

We have been to the vets and it is good news. The mucus that was in the back of her mouth/throat has gone. The vet said her throat, what he could see of it does look a little red.

I told him what I have been feeding her and he said that is fine, give her what she will take and concentrate on fluids.

She has been given another injection and I have Baytril that I have to start her on tomorrow. She has to go back at the end of the week. I have more syringes to use as well.

I am relieved that there is some improvement but we still have along way to go, once she is eating again on her own I will be really happy.

Now I just have to sort some probiotic for her and concentrate on getting her back on track.

Any suggestions on a probiotic to use would be great. I think I have some outside but not sure if its still in date.

Bio-Lapis is a good probiotic and easy to use.Some forum members say that Avipro is good as well but I have never used this.

my thoughts are with you, it sounds like shes getting better, so thats good! x Kelly x :)

Thanks Kelly. Ive got some Bio Lapis from the vet but I have ordered some of the avipro as well. I used to use a probiotic in the pigs water during the winter months but I had run out.

She's had a rest now since coming back from the vets.

Just got her next dose of sloppy stuff ready now.

Something I learned fron a nurse is that if the pig is having trouble taking the Critical Care, water it down a bit so it's not as thick as usual to help it go down the throat.

Also, Sooty had an abcess in his throat a few months back. He needed a little proceedure to remove it. He's fine now but sadly he's lost his "big squeak" since having it done. ::)

Good luck with Tulip, it sounds like you're doing your best.

Bongela - never heard of using that for pigs?

So glad to hear that there is some improvement Vicky - well done little Tulip (and you of course Vicky :)). Keep up the good work and lets hope the abs kick in now. Keep us posted O0

Tulip has done quite well this evening, she seems a little low but I am hoping thats just from the injection earlier.

She is having a rest again now so will give her more food/liquid later. She just had about 3ml of the science select mixture and 1ml of probiotic liquid.

I know she should probably have more but I dont want to over do it as she hasnt had much the last two days. Fingers crossed I can get her to nibble some solids tomorrow.

I wouldn't be too worried about overdoing it if she's not eating at all - it's what keeps her going. She needs 6g of mixture per 100g of body weight each day - even if it is a bit of a battle. Maybe check with the vet about getting her a painkiller too?

You're doing a grand job, keep your chin up! :)

Thanks for the infor about weight and food. I asked the vet about painkiller earlier, the one he gave her yesterday is a long lasting one, so she is covered for that.

I have to say the vet is brilliant, even if he is allergic to hay bless him. Ive only got to ring them if I'm worried and they will see Tulip again.

SPH Supplies do Avipro which is good if you have lots of guineas ;) or Thistle Cavies do sachets of Bio Lapis :) Your vet should have some too but it'll be expensive in comparison :)

For anorexic piggies like her give little and often- you're right about overdoing it but as DSL says she will still need the amount :) Gorgeous Guineas have done a great Syringe Feeding document stickied at the top of this board in the Supplies List thread.

Sorry, just seen that you've got a probiotic ::)

Thanks Karen. I got the prodiotic from the vet, wasnt too bad in price. Tulip is very quite tonight, could that be due to the injection?

Obviously I am feeding by the ml and having to make it quite runny. I will try and give her more if she will take it, I dont want to stress her though.

Will have a look at the GG article. Oh and I ordered that toothpaste as well.

If it was Metacam then yes, we've found it has made pigs sleepy. Vedra at CCT says this too. On the other hand you can't have her in pain... The toothpaste is very good :)

Ive just spent the last hour trying to feed Tulip. She only took about 2ml of the food if that even. She seems to have lost any strength and wont even take clear liquid gently syringed into her mouth, it just come running out.

She keeps bringing her rear legs up and tucking her head back. All my experience has told me that when this happens things are not going right. I eally hope that I am wrong.

Everything crossed that Tulip makes it through the night.

Will update in the morning. Am shattered so I'm off to bed. Tulip is now tucked up in a towel in her cage.

Sadly Tulip passed away this morning. She took a turn for the worst last night and I think she just run out of strength to fight what ever was wrong.

She will be seriously missed as she was always one o the first to grea us at the door of the shed in the morning and when it was dinner time in the afternoon.

Thank you everyone for your support, help and advice.

Rest In Peace Tulip xx

Thankyou love for the pm, oh dam it i'm still sobbing here, i just was sooo hoping for you both :'( :'( :'(
RIP little lady Tulip you can now run free at the bridge and play with some beautiful friends 0:) 0:) 0:) Sweet little girl you'll be so sadly missed but never ever forgotten :smitten:
You've tried so hard for this little girl, i know she knew this... she's in a place now that you can be assured that she's safe 0:) 0:)
Lots of hugs and piggie kisses from us both to help comfort you :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
((((((((((((( HUGS )))))))))))))))) love xxxxxxxxx

Tulip.jpg

Please do not cry for me
Do not weep
For I'm not gone
I'm just asleep

I had to go
I couldn't stay
And we'll meet again
One day

Just remember
the times we had
For i don't want
you to be sad

I'm free from pain
And of that i'm glad

Thanks for the pm Vicky. What a lovely girl Tulip was and was a beautiful poem. RIP little girl, run free and enjoy meeting up with all your piggy friends 0:).

Sending hugs to you and the girls. Take care.

Sleep well Tulip. Have fun at the bridge!
So sorry for your loss Vicky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back