• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Need some advice please

• Thread starter Thread starter Vicky(Smudger)
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vicky(Smudger)

Tulip isnt well.

She has lost some weight recently and today seems very quiet. When she was walking around in the shed she seemed to lose her balance slightly. She also has a small wet patch under her chin and doesnt like me looking at her mouth.

She is very quiet and is just sitting there. We have brought her indoors to keep an eye on her.

I'm gonna ring the vets now, but would welcome your opinions.

I Have no idea really but i hope its just her teeth get well soon Tulip :smitten:

Thanks, got an appointment at 5pm. Will update when we get back.

If its sticky maybe an abscess if not maybe her teeth.... Dizzyness could be lack of vits if she's not eating.

Ok just got back. Her teeth are okay but she has got some nasty puss type stuff at the back of her throat/mouth. She has been given and antibiotic and anti-inflamatory injection for which she was very very good.

She has to go back tomorrow.

The vet was going to ask me about bringing her indoors but of course I have done that already, he did suggest bringing another sow in to keep her company. Ive just got to decide who is the calmest out of the colony.

karenrgpr said:
If its sticky maybe an abscess if not maybe her teeth.... Dizzyness could be lack of vits if she's not eating.

What can I give her Karen to make sure she is getting her vits?

Re: Need some advice please - seriously worried

Okay I am really worried. I can get Tulip to eat anything. I have given her a dish of yummies all chopped up small and all very moist things, she is trying to eat but doesnt seem to be able to get it down.

What can I try doing, obviously she has this blocked throat, which we believe is due to infection. Do I try giving stuff gently by syringe? What do I use?

At this rate she wont make it through the night.

Re: Urgent Now - Need some advice please

Vicky(Smudger) said:
Okay I am really worried. I can get Tulip to eat anything. I have given her a dish of yummies all chopped up small and all very moist things, she is trying to eat but doesnt seem to be able to get it down.

What can I try doing, obviously she has this blocked throat, which we believe is due to infection. Do I try giving stuff gently by syringe? What do I use?

At this rate she wont make it through the night.

Please does anyone know what I can give Tulip, I really feel that she needs some nutrients inside her.

mash some pelletts with water and syringe feed her

also i know some people use critical care

Come on Tullip

Will give it a go but the vets she was very blocked at the back of her throat, thats why they gave her an injection.

Wish mash up some of Bodgers Science Select and make it quite runny.

Thank you Minky.

Oh Vicky I'm so sorry to hear about Tulip having taken a turn for the worse.

I don't really know what to suggest, perhaps one of the medical gurus will be along soon to offer some practical advise. Do you think she can still swallow? I guess a good test would be whether she is managing to swallow saliva (assuming piggies make it?) i.e. not dribbling it out. If she is able to swallow could you mash up some pellets with warm water or whizz some soft veggies (cucumber etc.) in a blender to make a puree and syringe it to her? Have you got any Critical Care or Science Recovery or even baby food?

I'm sorry I can't be of more help and I hope someone else comes along very soon. Give Tulip a big hug from me and sending one to you to. Keep you chin up.

Havent got critical care or science recovery. All i can do if give her the mashed science select food. Just waiting for it to cool as I did it with warm water.

I'm not sure if she can swallow Caviesgalore, I guess we will find out.

Thankfully Tulip tok the mashed up science select quite well. I only had a 1ml syringe but she had about 2 to 3 syringes of it. Tried to make it as runny as possible without losing the fibre.

Will give her some more later. Fingers crossed she continues to take.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Abidec drops would be good for vits Vicky. Sounds like an abscess in her mouth, get antibiotics to bring home tomorrow and probiotics of course :) Contact Chrissie [email protected] for some Neem toothpaste and tell her whats happening. Do you have any Manuka honey (active)? Thats a good antibiotic if a little sugary and will go down easy.

Vetark Critical Care (the fluid one) has vits too and is meant for animals but you need to get fibre in her too as you know :)

Vicky if you've only got a 1ml syringe you'll need to give quite a few and often to keep up the vits needed and to keep the little gut working properly.
we'll have our paws crossed that she continues to eat for you and rests well and then can go back to the vets tomorrow :smitten:
I'd also be syringing extra water for Tulip too :)

Try anything and everything Vicky, just get her to eat, it doesn't matter what, don't let her shut down. Pineapple juice can be good too...

How are things this morning Vicky, I hope you managed to get some food stuffs into poor little Tulip last night. It does sound like she needs some abs (and probiotics), hopefully that will help with the healing process. Sending hugs and healing vibes and good luck at the vets today.

Tulip is still with us, I dont know who feels worse me or her as we are both fighting illness at the moment. Anyway, I gave her more liquid food last night before going to bed, although she only took a little.

I'm home all day so I will keep fighting for her. She still isnt eating food in the cage. I am really worried as she is quite a special piggy to me, of course it doesnt help that I feel rotten myself. I'm going to look for the critical care today, I'm wondering if my vet will stock it.

I wish I had someone closer who had more experience in this sort of thing.

I'm going to try some juice with her in a min, she hasnt been to keen to take the food this morning.

Will keep you updated.

Sounds like you're doing an admirable job Vicky. Don't forget to dose yourself up as well as Tulip. Sending ((((hugs)))) keep up the good work and let us know how things go.

It's funny isn't it, but when these little furballs are unwell you suddenly feel very alone and helpless (helps to have the support and guidance of the fab lot on here). Know exactly where you are coming from, pm me if you need a chat, I'm not that far away from you. S xx

She wont take the food.

I dont want to force, but dont know what to do. Just cant think at the moment, if I didnt have this bl**dy cold I could deal with this.

:'( :'(

OK Vicky, what time are you going to the vets today? If it's late in the day, can you try to get them to bring it forward? Explain that you are really worried as Tulip has stopped eating and you are finding it incredibly difficult to even get syringed food down her.

I presume you've tried tempting Tulip with favourite fresh foods? Cucumber or melon, if you have any, would be easier for her to eat, try cutting it into thin strips, sometimes this helps. What about cutting some grass, this rarely fails to tempt my lot when they've been ill.

Go and make yourself a cup of tea/coffee and take 5 minutes "me time" just to regroup. We're all thinking about you and sending good vibes.

Oh Vicky (hugs) have you tried wrapping Tulip in a blanket or towel. I had this with Cuzzy he wouldn't take anything but wrapping in a blanket and syringe feeding that way was a huge help.

Good luck!

Louise
x

Not going to the vets until this afternoon. Tried cucumber and bits last night, she tried to nibble them but didnt eat anything.

Ive wrapped her in a towel as well. What I am worried about is forcing her. She keeps pulling her head back away from the syringe. I dont want to risk choking her.

How forceful should I be?

Gonna go have a coffee and something to eat myself.

Obviously not too forceful but try to get the syringe in, she won't choke it's only slopes. O0

Get something to eat yourself, don't neglect your own health looking after healthy pigs is hard work, looking after sick ones takes its toll on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back