• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
A bit of an update months later, Kaylor is alive and well as she can be. I just celebrated my 4 year gotcha day with her around memorial day (5/28) and I was very emotional. Based on the status of her when I posted here 6 months ago, I wouldn't have guessed she would still be around for the anniversary but she is RESILIENT.

In a separate post I made, I shared she had an abscess back in April I believe due to a bottom tooth that never grew back. The memory of the smell lingers but luckily she is mostly all healed up from that. In terms of the painful peeing/red urine, she has flare ups every now and then with the last one in mid May. This is the longest she has gone without having one in a while (knock on wood!) and I think it's due to me running out of pellets for a few weeks.

Her weight has been as low as low 700s but she is around 850 now. I don't think she will ever bounce back to the 1100 she was at and I think that's just part of aging and having a chronic illness. Kaylor loves pellets but I have notices she does much, much bettering terms of flare ups when she doesn't have them so it has been hard denying her them but I have tried to spice things up by offering a variety of hay instead. I have oxbow timothy hay, rabbit hole hay orchard grass, and guinea dad timothy hay which seems to be a lot softer and greener than the big oxbow bag. As I have said, I have had Kaylor for 4 years and she was around 1.5-2 years old when I adopted her, so I hope I can make whatever time she has left as comfortable and fun as possible.

I am really grateful for this community and the advice and comfort you have given me. No one understands the love it is possible to have for these little potatoes like you l do.

IMG_20220510_102327_01.webp

20220331_211927.webp

Attachments

• 20220425_113830.webp
    20220425_113830.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220425_113830.webp
    20220425_113830.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 1
Glad to hear that Kaylor is doing better.

She might be lightweight but she's looking good! Well done on helping her through the crisis and managing her condition.

My girl had a bout of gritty pee but in the end that was all. Her cage mate George is on oxbow joint support crunchy lozenges for his arthritis and I've been giving her half a one of those every day for the glucosamine to support the bladder. So far no recurrence - touch wood! They do a special urinary support one (same amount of glucosamine as half a JS one but with other bits and bobs) and if she recurs I'm going to try those instead. Glucosamine is very good for bladder support, as well as arthritis, and because it is a 'food supplement' it is something that can just be bought rather than prescribed. It takes a few weeks to have any effect... George's arthritis improved noticeably after 2 weeks but after a month he was clearly moving around much more freely. Might be worth considering for bladder support? There are other forms if you are wary about the lozenges...

Back