• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My piggy is not eating hay

Hey I’m so sorry if I’m over analyzing. Quick update: I just weighed him and he lost 45 grams, which I assume is better than 50.
I’m just wondering what is this?
It’s like a light brown paste and gooey.

Can you clarify - do you mean he has lost 45g since yesterday?
If so, then you need to try to get more syringe feed into him each day to stop the weight loss occurring.

Can you clarify - do you mean he has lost 45g since yesterday?
If so, then you need to try to get more syringe feed into him each day to stop the weight loss occurring.
Yes, how much more should I feed? I around 47 ml today with him very unhappy. 😭 I’m also thinking of taking him to another vet tomorrow and see if we can figure out what’s wrong. He tries to drink his water from the water bottle too and tilts his head but then gives up. I put a bowl in and syringe fed some water though

Yes, how much more should I feed? I around 47 ml today with him very unhappy. 😭 I’m also thinking of taking him to another vet tomorrow and see if we can figure out what’s wrong. He tries to drink his water from the water bottle too and tilts his head but then gives up. I put a bowl in and syringe fed some water though

He needs as much as it takes to stabilise and stop his weight loss. Currently, it doesn’t sound like you have that balance.

40ml is the minimum to keep gut functioning, with a minimum of 60ml being the amount to aim for.

I definitely would take him to another vet. It is certainly sounding like there is something medical going on.

Hey I’m so sorry if I’m over analyzing. Quick update: I just weighed him and he lost 45 grams, which I assume is better than 50.
I’m just wondering what is this?
It’s like a light brown paste and gooey.
View attachment 259033

Hi

It could be either runny diarrhea or if it is jelly-like or rubbery, it could be part of the mucus membrane at the exit of the caecum (the last and biggest of the fermentation chambers of the lower gut). It is there to catch gut microbiome from passing out of the gut. Very, very occasionally, some mucus slip through and once or twice we have seen this happen with a larger piece in guinea pigs with persistent digestive issues.
However, research into guinea pig digestion and nutrient/medication absorption and processing is only very recent and still very much ongoing. This is reflecting very recent research. Why this happens and what could be causing it are questions we can't answer but at least we know where those freak and usually one-off jelly like deposits come from.

This guide here explains the digestive tract in guinea pigs and how it works:

Please try to get as much feed into him as possible.

Hi

It could be either runny diarrhea or if it is jelly-like or rubbery, it could be part of the mucus membrane at the exit of the caecum (the last and biggest of the fermentation chambers of the lower gut). It is there to catch gut microbiome from passing out of the gut. Very, very occasionally, some mucus slip through and once or twice we have seen this happen with a larger piece in guinea pigs with persistent digestive issues.
However, research into guinea pig digestion and nutrient/medication absorption and processing is only very recent and still very much ongoing. This is reflecting very recent research. Why this happens and what could be causing it are questions we can't answer but at least we know where those freak and usually one-off jelly like deposits come from.

This guide here explains the digestive tract in guinea pigs and how it works:

Please try to get as much feed into him as possible.
Thank you! I’ll keep checking on his weight as well :)

Back