• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My piggy is not eating hay

Emilylin123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig Newton (2) has not been eating hay, lettuce, barely any pellets and barely any water. He lost his friend about a month ago to old age. They were both bonded like family together. They slept together, ate together, and were always playing together. The first few weeks without him, my Newton was as normal. Squeaking, eating, popcorning.
Now suddenly, he won’t touch his hay, water bottle or eat much pellets. He won’t even squeak or popcorn. It started on Sunday and today is Wednesday. On sunday, I noticed he had a little discharge like substance on his eye but it has since been gone.
I’ve been weighing him daily and he hasn’t lost much weight. However, he has been pooping less and they’re small poops. He sniffs the hay, noses through it but never eats it. He eats the pellets sometimes but the bowl is always almost full at the end of the day. He opens his mouth at the water bottle but I never see him drink any. The weird part is he still eats treats. He eats forage, carrots, berries, etc.
Obviously this is a very big deal so we took him to the vet but she said no teeth problems and everything looks good. We even got an X-ray and nothing popped up. I’m wondering if it’s depression or could it be another underlying issue? I wash the water bottles every other day too. I’ve attached a photo of his poops from this morning. I’m not sure what the white stuff is or if it is just dust from somewhere.
He has also been put on pain medication and Emeraid Emergency. Thank you.
IMG_9295.webp

I’m sorry for your loss

If he has now stopped eating hay, then that is a major concern. As hay is their main food intake, any reduction in its intake will cause issues with weight loss and poop size.

You say he hasn’t lost ‘much’ weight? Can you tell us how much weight he has lost?

His poops don’t look right. What I would suggest is that you urgently step in with syringe feeding him a recovery feed to help increase his hay intake. Make sure there is plenty of hay available to him at all times. Make sure you weigh him daily so you can monitor hay intake more closely.

The guides below explain what poops are telling you, the importance of daily weight checks to give you real time information about hay intake and about syringe feeding.

I’m glad you’ve taken him to the vet. The most important thing to rule out first is health issues.
If there is no health issue that can be found, then the next possibility is depression. Piggies can usually manage to be alone after their friend passes for around 1-4 weeks. After that they need a new friend. Acute pining is rare but he may now be struggling being by himself.
Is getting him a new friend something you can do?

The guide below explains how to look after a bereaved piggy.

Regarding his distinctive, hay is the most important part of the diet. It needs to make up three quarters of his daily diet.

Veg is one cup of per day. He can have lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and cilantro daily.
Carrots and berries should not feature in the diet. They are far too sugary and can cause digestive problems. If he is still eating sugary carrots but not eating hay (and therefore not getting enough fibre) then it will throw off his digestive tract. Please remove all carrots and fruit from his diet.

Pellets. They are mostly unimportant in the diet. Whether they eat them or not doesn’t actually matter because they are not a main food. They are merely supplementary and he should only have no more than one tablespoon per day. A bowl full is far too much. For context, there a some if us (myself included) who don’t feed pellets - that should give you some idea of how unimportant they are.

The guide below is our diet guide

I’m sorry for your loss

If he has now stopped eating hay, then that is a major concern. As hay is their main food intake, any reduction in its intake will cause issues with weight loss and poop size.

You say he hasn’t lost ‘much’ weight? Can you tell us how much weight he has lost?

His poops don’t look right. What I would suggest is that you urgently step in with syringe feeding him a recovery feed to help increase his hay intake. Make sure there is plenty of hay available to him at all times. Make sure you weigh him daily so you can monitor hay intake more closely.

The guides below explain what poops are telling you, the importance of daily weight checks to give you real time information about hay intake and about syringe feeding.

I’m glad you’ve taken him to the vet. The most important thing to rule out first is health issues.
If there is no health issue that can be found, then the next possibility is depression. Piggies can usually manage to be alone after their friend passes for around 1-4 weeks. After that they need a new friend. Acute pining is rare but he may now be struggling being by himself.

Regarding his distinctive, hay is the most important part of the diet. It needs to make up three quarters of his daily diet.

Veg is one cup of per day. He can have lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and cilantro daily.
Carrots and berries should not feature in the diet. They are far too sugary and can cause digestive problems. If he is still eating sugary carrots but not eating hay (and therefore not getting enough fibre) then it will throw off his digestive tract. Please remove all carrots and fruit from his diet.

Pellets. They are mostly unimportant in the diet. Whether they eat them or not doesn’t actually matter because they are not a main food. They are merely supplementary and he should only have no more than one tablespoon per day. A bowl full is far too much. For context, there a some if us (myself included) who don’t feed pellets - that should give you some idea of how unimportant they are.

Thank you for your reply. We were given Emeraid as a supplement and the vet told us to feed 4 times a day. Should i feed him more? It is also more of a watery consistency and I know oxbow critical care is another option for some, should I add that too?
As for weight, here’s the problem. He lost a good chunk of weight since yesteda
Here is what I have:
Around 1260 grams 10/2

1205 grams 10/20

1189 grams 10/22
I’m sorry for your loss

Thank you for your reply. We were given Emeraid as a supplement and the vet told us to feed 4 times a day. Should i feed him more? It is also more of a watery consistency and I know oxbow critical care is another option for some, should I add that too? Also his poops are now extremely tiny and tear drop shaped.

As for weight,

Here is what I have:

Around 1260 grams 10/2

1205 grams 10/20

1189 grams 10/22

1135 grams 10/23
his weight continues to decrease and i don’t know what’s wrong. He will eat forage but not hay. I finally convinced my mother to let me take him to the guinea pig rescue to get another friend tomorrow. Hopefully he can push through this.
Should I syringe feed water too? Or not yet

So firstly, he had lost a large amount of weight.
This is because he is not eating hay. The fact he is eating forage shows he has some appetite but forage is not a main food source.
He is a good size to begin with but 50g of weight loss is the point at which you get concerned. Your piggy has lost 125g in total.

He lost 54g between 22 and 23 October so things are getting rather more serious in terms of lack of food intake.
100g of weight loss in a day is considered an emergency and if that happens he would have to be rushed to the vet immediately.

His poops are tiny because he isn’t getting enough to eat. The point of syringe feeding is to stop further weight loss each day, the fact he is still losing weight each day means he is not being fed enough.

How many ml of emeraid is he taking per day? You are aiming for 60ml per day but he may need up to 90ml per day.
The lower the amount of mls he takes at each sitting, the more sittings are needed throughout the day meaning feeding four times a day may not be enough. In very poorly piggies, piggies who don’t take much at each sitting, they can need to be fed every two hours.

When feeding emeraid you cannot add in any other recovery feed. Emeraid is standalone.
If you wish to switch to oxbow critical care that’s fine but you must not give emeraid at the same time.

Yes you can offer him water.

Please do read all the guides I linked in as they explain everything.

The white stuff in is eye just looks to be normal cleaning fluid.

I’m glad you can get him a friend. That may help him greatly.
I have added in our bonding guide because bonding must be done properly in neutral territory. You cannot just put a new piggy in with him as that may cause a fight.

Thank you.
So firstly, he had lost a large amount of weight.
This is because he is not eating hay. The fact he is eating forage shows he has some appetite but forage is not a main food source.
He is a good size to begin with but 50g of weight loss is the point at which you get concerned. Your piggy has lost 125g in total.

He lost 54g between 22 and 23 October so things are getting rather more serious in terms of lack of food intake.
100g of weight loss in a day is considered an emergency and if that happens he would have to be rushed to the vet immediately.

His poops are tiny because he isn’t getting enough to eat. The point of syringe feeding is to stop further weight loss each day, the fact he is still losing weight each day means he is not being fed enough.

How many ml of emeraid is he taking per day? You are aiming for 60ml per day but he may need up to 90ml per day.
The lower the amount of mls he takes at each sitting, the more sittings are needed throughout the day meaning feeding four times a day may not be enough. In very poorly piggies, piggies who don’t take much at each sitting, they can need to be fed every two hours.

When feeding emeraid you cannot add in any other recovery feed. Emeraid is standalone.
If you wish to switch to oxbow critical care that’s fine but you must not give emeraid at the same time.

Yes you can offer him water.

Please do read all the guides I linked in as they explain everything.

The white stuff in is eye just looks to be normal cleaning fluid.

I’m glad you can get him a friend. That may help him greatly.
I have added in our bonding guide because bonding must be done properly in neutral territory. You cannot just put a new piggy in with him as that may cause a fight.

i will continue to feed emeraid by itself. He’s receiving 6 ml every 2-3 hours, I have done 4 feedings so far today and will stay up tonight to continue. We received the Emeraid about 8 hours ago. Should I feed 12 ml instead?
Thank you so much

Thank you.

i will continue to feed emeraid by itself. He’s receiving 6 ml every 2-3 hours, I have done 4 feedings so far today and will stay up tonight to continue. We received the Emeraid about 8 hours ago. Should I feed 12 ml instead?
Thank you so much

You need to feed him as much as he will take at each time. You must not stop him just because he’s got to a certain amount because there is no set amount to feed each time - just feed until he stops for himself, he could take up to 20ml per sitting if he still has his appetite As I say, he could need 60-90ml per day but you won’t know you’ve got it right until the next mornings weight checks. You then assess what his weight was telling you. If he has lost more weight the next day then you need to feed him more. If his weight is stable then you’ve got the amount of feed right.

(A critically ill piggy with complete lack of appetite might only take 5-10ml per sitting - but again it’s about giving as much as they will take and then doing more sittings to get in a good amount of food per day)

You don’t need to stay up overnight if he gets a good amount during the day and his weight stays stable. You still need unbroken sleep. Feed last thing at night, say 10 or 11pm, and then again first thing in the morning so 6-7am.

After a syringe feed, try offering strands of hay to him. It can help boost their appetite and encourage independent hay intake.
Also if you have access to fresh dog pee free grass, then pick some for him and offer some to him after a syringe feed. Be very careful though if he isn’t used to having fresh grass as too much on an unprepared tummy can cause digestive issues.

Thank you.

Thank you so much

Hi and welcome

You feed in each session as much as he will take - anything from 5 ml (with a very ill piggy struggling to swallow and to 20 ml with a recovering piggy). You are aiming at 60-90 ml in 24 hours in order to stop or at least stop the weight loss, in as many feeds as needed. The less you get in one go, the more often you need to feed. There is no set number; it is all about the individual weight loss and to firstly slowing down any weight loss, stabilising it and then with the illness appropriate medication nd a recovery to slowly regain it again as much as possible. Older piggies may not fully.

You use your normal kitchen scales as your main monitoring tool. Weighing first thing in the morning when the daily weight swing of ca. 30g (just over an 1 oz) is at its lowest gives you best day to day comparison. You cannot compare morning weights with evening weights. The poo output is always running 1-2 days behind. It can tell you that your boy has had too little to eat and drink before you started stepping in with feeding but you will see the impact of your support feeding only in the coming days.

Please take the time to read our various information links. They are very practical and explain it all. They also contain all the little tips and tricks.

Please do not bond while your boy is not fully recovered. The extra stress will not help with the recovery.

Please keep any questions and concerns to this your dedicated support thread. It helps both parties if we can keep each ongoing case together in one thread in order to provide personalised support for as long as needed. You may want to bookmark this thread so you can pick it up again easily whenever needed.

You need to feed him as much as he will take at each time. You must not stop him just because he’s got to a certain amount because there is no set amount to feed each time - just feed until he stops for himself, he could take up to 20ml per sitting if he still has his appetite As I say, he could need 60-90ml per day but you won’t know you’ve got it right until the next mornings weight checks. You then assess what his weight was telling you. If he has lost more weight the next day then you need to feed him more. If his weight is stable then you’ve got the amount of feed right.

(A critically ill piggy with complete lack of appetite might only take 5-10ml per sitting - but again it’s about giving as much as they will take and then doing more sittings to get in a good amount of food per day)

You don’t need to stay up overnight if he gets a good amount during the day and his weight stays stable. You still need unbroken sleep. Feed last thing at night, say 10 or 11pm, and then again first thing in the morning so 6-7am.

After a syringe feed, try offering strands of hay to him. It can help boost their appetite and encourage independent hay intake.
Also if you have access to fresh dog pee free grass, then pick some for him and offer some to him after a syringe feed. Be very careful though if he isn’t used to having fresh grass as too much on an unprepared tummy can cause digestive issues.
Thank you, alright! He isn’t the type of pig to eat medication by himself so I’ve been syringe feeding him VERY slowly while holding him in my lap. How do I know if he’s done and doesn’t want any more?

I also finished reading everything you included, thank you again!

Thank you, alright! He isn’t the type of pig to eat medication by himself so I’ve been syringe feeding him VERY slowly while holding him in my lap. How do I know if he’s done and doesn’t want any more?

I also finished reading everything you included, thank you again!

Your boy will tell you when he has had enough. Each piggy has their own way. Most will refuse or dodge the syringe they have initially accepted if they still have a little appetite left. If they have none at all, they will fight the syringe from the start. ;)

Your boy will tell you when he has had enough. Each piggy has their own way. Most will refuse or dodge the syringe they have initially accepted if they still have a little appetite left. If they have none at all, they will fight the syringe from the start. ;)
Ah thank you, I will keep my eyes out then!

Just double checking, is holding him and syringe feeding him okay? I’ve tried feeding him when he’s in the cage or in a hideout by putting the syringe in front of his face but he won’t take any by himself. I don’t want to “force” or harm him but if I don’t pick him up he won’t take any himself :(

Ah thank you, I will keep my eyes out then!

Just double checking, is holding him and syringe feeding him okay? I’ve tried feeding him when he’s in the cage or in a hideout by putting the syringe in front of his face but he won’t take any by himself. I don’t want to “force” or harm him but if I don’t pick him up he won’t take any himself :(

You have to take a piggy out for syringe feeding.

This guide here contains videos and pictures of how to best deal with both cooperative and uncooperative piggies when medicating or syringe feeding. (Chapters 9 and 10) :)

This guide here contains videos and pictures of how to best deal with both cooperative and uncooperative piggies when medicating or syringe feeding. (Chapters 9 and 10) :)
Thank you! I will update on how he’s doing too :)

Hey, I just noticed two poops kind of stuck together like string. What do I do?

Hey, I just noticed two poops kind of stuck together like string. What do I do?

Don't panic and continue to feed as recommended and offer a little water in between formula feeds.

If you have a healthy companion, you can offer additionally 'poo soup' (healthy gut microbiome transplantation). The 'recipe' can be found in the chapter for probiotics and recovery care. If done correctly and as fresh as possible, it is more effective than any probiotics. Give 3 ml of that twice daily.

Don't panic and continue to feed as recommended and offer a little water in between formula feeds.

If you have a healthy companion, you can offer additionally 'poo soup' (healthy gut microbiome transplantation). The 'recipe' can be found in the chapter for probiotics and recovery care. If done correctly and as fresh as possible, it is more effective than any probiotics. Give 3 ml of that twice daily.
Ah okay! I will continue to feed him the emeraid. So far he has gotten 10 ml in 4 hours. He produced some poops but they are extremely tiny 😭. He’s not taking any water from the syringe or water bottle. I leave the syringe kind of dripping down the chin in case he wants some but he never drinks any.

Unfortunately our other pig passed away a few weeks ago :(. Is there a probiotic I can find and feed? Also since he is not eating anything or drinking would emeraid by itself be okay? He seems to be able to still take it through the syringe. I stop when he gets fussy. Should i continue if he’s not taking much during that session or just wait till 2 hours after?

He just ate his first piece of hay! I looked over and he ate a singular strand. Is this a sign, it’s working?

He just ate his first piece of hay! I looked over and he ate a singular strand. Is this a sign, it’s working?

It's a good sign that the appetite is starting to return. Don't expect wonders but with a little luck he may have turned the corner now. 👍

It's a good sign that the appetite is starting to return. Don't expect wonders but with a little luck he may have turned the corner now. 👍
Hopefully! Keeping my fingers crossed. Is feeding him metacam prescribed by the vet okay? And will be be able to live without water directly for now? I’m so sorry for the many questions, I want to make sure I’m doing everything right 😭

Ah okay! I will continue to feed him the emeraid. So far he has gotten 10 ml in 4 hours. He produced some poops but they are extremely tiny 😭. He’s not taking any water from the syringe or water bottle. I leave the syringe kind of dripping down the chin in case he wants some but he never drinks any.

Unfortunately our other pig passed away a few weeks ago :(. Is there a probiotic I can find and feed? Also since he is not eating anything or drinking would emeraid by itself be okay? He seems to be able to still take it through the syringe. I stop when he gets fussy. Should i continue if he’s not taking much during that session or just wait till 2 hours after?

Stop when he is really starting to fight but aim at a minimum of 5 ml per session. Don't worry about the water; you can make the emeraid a little (but only a little more fluid but it also means that you need to get that many more syringefuls into him to get the same amount of solids.

Don't worry about the poos. They reflect what has happened since the op, and that wasn't nice.
Please read the information on the bag. Your variety of emeraid may already be enriched with probiotics.

The poos will solidify and bulk up the more feed you get into him - but you will see any results only a day or two later. You are aiming at 60 ml minimum in 24 hours, which is unfortunately extremely hard and exhausting work. Try to get as close to 10 ml as you can with each session. Feeding a piggy off their food is not pleasant for either side but it is all-important if it means survival or not.

Last edited:
Hopefully! Keeping my fingers crossed. Is feeding him metacam prescribed by the vet okay? And will be be able to live without water directly for now? I’m so sorry for the many questions, I want to make sure I’m doing everything right 😭

Any medication is necessary and has to be given. Metacam is flavoured with a little honey. Because it is a painkiller for animals, it needs to go down when everything else doesn't so it is usually not quite as much of a struggle to give compared to unflavoured antibiotics, for instance.

Keep on offering him water after every 2-3 syringes of feed, just a little, about 0.3 ml (which he can hold in his mouth comfortably. Insert the syringe in the gap between incisors and back teeth and push gently on the plunger but do not squirt hard.

This guide here contains tips on how to spot symptoms of dehydration if you are worried:

Thank you, I will read it through. Here’s a picture of a recent poo. Is this looking more normal? Before poop (the really tiny one) next to it as reference.
Whenever he grooms himself white liquid comes out from his eye. I just noticed that he blinked and some came out too.
IMG_9317.webpIMG_9314.webpIMG_9316.webp

Thank you, I will read it through. Here’s a picture of a recent poo. Is this looking more normal? Before poop (the really tiny one) next to it as reference.
Whenever he grooms himself white liquid comes out from his eye. I just noticed that he blinked and some came out too.
View attachment 258983View attachment 258984View attachment 258986

Please continue to syringe feed him. Don’t worry about the poops. It’ll take a few ways before you start to see normal poops as poop output is delayed.
It’s your daily weight checks which are the important part

As I said to you earlier in the thread, the white fluid in his eye is normal cleaning fluid. Nothing to worry about

View attachment 258983View attachment 258984View attachment 258986

This is exactly what I would hope to see at this stage; the poos are getting bigger (meaning that more food is going in) and it looks moist enough to tell you that he was not dehydrated when he formed it.

Good progress in the right direction. Keep on and persist. You will get there! 👍

This is exactly what I would hope to see at this stage; the poos are getting bigger (meaning that more food is going on in) and it looks moist enough to tell you that he was not dehydrated when he formed it.

Good progress in the right direction. Keep on and persist. You will get there! 👍
Thank you!

This is exactly what I would hope to see at this stage; the poos are getting bigger (meaning that more food is going in) and it looks moist enough to tell you that he was not dehydrated when he formed it.

Quick question! He has the lettuce in his mouth but won’t eat it. He kind of nibbles at it. He also hasn’t produced a poop in a few hours. Is this all normal? He also kind of adjusts his back legs like a waddle. IMG_9347.webp

Quick question! He has the lettuce in his mouth but won’t eat it. He kind of nibbles at it. He also hasn’t produced a poop in a few hours. Is this all normal? He also kind of adjusts his back legs like a waddle. View attachment 259008

Hi

Poops don't happen like clockwork; they happen more often in shed loads, so no need to panic. His eating reflexes are waking up but the appetite has not arrived yet.

If you have concerns, then please see your vet. Be aware that you have anxiety issues and that you are hyper-observant right now.

If he has a string of poo sticking to him, should I pull it out or let it be? IMG_9349.webp

Hi

Poops don't happen like clockwork; they happen more often in shed loads, so no need to panic. His eating reflexes are waking up but it appetite has not arrived yet.

If you have concerns, then please see your vet. Be aware that you have anxiety issues and that you are hyper-observant right now.

haha thank you. I do have really bad anxiety issues which get triggered badly surrounding pets 😭. I will try to calm down.

Hi

Poops don't happen like clockwork; they happen more often in shed loads, so no need to panic. His eating reflexes are waking up but the appetite has not arrived yet.

Hey I’m so sorry if I’m over analyzing. Quick update: I just weighed him and he lost 45 grams, which I assume is better than 50.
I’m just wondering what is this?
It’s like a light brown paste and gooey.
IMG_9409.webp

Attachments

• IMG_9412.webp
    IMG_9412.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 0
Back