• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig Has A Lump

• Thread starter Thread starter Annie59
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry your vet bills are so high. I have been through that with a kitten that broke its leg...the total was over 700 $$ and that was about 20 years ago. I am glad you did not bring him back to Petco for treatment tho...just imagine what may have happened if they were taking care of him and the cost got that high. I would push for some $$ to cover costs. Check with the better business bureau on that...Good luck. Ricky sounds like a very lucky piggy!

In reference to your question karenrgpr, the doc never mentioned about the type of glue for the wound. It sounds good to me. If it happens again (I'm praying it doesn't) I will mention it. He came home last night and I'm kind of concerned. He's extra mushy. He wasn't like this the first time I brought him home from surgery. He keeps laying down and his eyes are closing. (Even today as well as last night) But, he still jumps around, wheeking for food! He'll be himself, then suddenly lay down. I could not beleive how much he was yawning last night. Has anyone ever seen their guineas do this? It was weird. I like that he's laying down, only to keep him still so he does not go after his stitches. He's trying but he can hardly move his back leg. They bandaged it up good so he can't scratch. I feel so sorry for him, but it's doing the job. He has hit the cut a few times, so I'm keeping an eye on him. I hope he's ok. I'm going to go check him now. Later all!

Please, if anyone is reading this...I have a minute (have to get my little girl off to school), but I'll check back later. My situation with Ricky is not getting better. He was bleeding again and I once again took him to the vet. She said he's rejecting his stitches. They had taped his leg so he won't scratch, but he somehow getting at it. She said sometimes they react badly to stitches, so she removed the stitches and cleaned it again (much to Rickys dislike). I was crying over watching this and out of frustration (this is my 4th time at the docs). Now I have to clean and flush it out. I am freaking out. This was last night so this morning is the first time I'll have to clean it. What I'l wondering, is it normal to leave the wound wide open? They've taped his leg again, (so not to scratch it) but the doc said the wound has to stay open. No cover. It looks horrible. You all have had experience with this. I can't believe this cut is wide open like that. I'm afraid he will rub it on something, so I've removed all hard objects from his cage. What if he gets something in it? I'm so afraid of an open wound. I didn't know you could leave it like this. She gave me the solution to flush it with and the syringes and then an antibiotic cream to put in. I desperatly need advice. Is this a normal way to do this? Do they heal quickly? I'm afraid to do this! Well, gotta take my girl to the bus soon. Thank you so much for your advice wtih this! I'll check later..

Yes this is the normal way to do it, loads of us on here have done it this way O0 What bedding is he on? If on shavings/hay, perhaps you could take this out and place newspaper on the bottom of the cage and fleece or towel on top of the paper. Just have hay in his hayrack or in a little box? I will find you a pic of what it looks like, someone posted one on here a little while back.

Thanks lavenerjade....you have been so very helpful to me during this really stressfull time! I don't know how to thank you. I looked at the pics. (what a georgous piggy in one of the pics, white with black ears and paws!) I feel better after reading your e-mail. Ricky's cut is pretty deep and that's whay scared me. The doc actually said it was much deeper, so the good news is, is that it is healing nicely. Ricky doesn't seem to be bothered. Maybe a little. Especially since I took his little hut out of the cage. And his hammock. He'll be fine without it for a while. Well, I cleaned it. It was not as nearly bad as I thought. He didn't even budge. I think he was screaming in the vets office because they were holding him. And maybe he hated the stitches coming out. The solution I'm using for the cleaning is called Nolvasan solution. I have to mix it with water and flush 2x a day. Then I have to put the antibiotic cream in the wound after I clean it. The box says Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Ophthalmic Ointment. I'd never remember that one! It's just an anitbiotic cream. I just ran in to check him. He's laying in the corner. He puts his head down now. I think the painkiller makes him tired. But that's good because I want him to sleep. Well, lets hope this time he heals without a problem. The vet only charged me $39.00 yesterday (about 20 pounds). The actually fee just for the visit is$75.00 plus the treatment and medicine. She said I've been through enough so she didn't charge me for the visit and stictch removal and treatment she did. Just the medicine. Thank goodness. Maybe because I was sobbing on the phone when I called to tell them what happened. (I couldn't hold it in!) They were wonderful. She really is a caring and wonderful doctor. I will stick with her! Well, I'll post his progress again. Thank you lavenderjade for helping me here. I have never had any experience with guinea pigs so it was really hard when this happened. All your advice has really helped me. When Ricky is better and back to normal, I'll post some pictures! Now I'm going to read some other posts from others with guinea pig problems. I'd like to be as supportive as everyone was to me!

You are doing great, sure Ricky will be fine very soon. You are fortunate you found a savvy vet! Looking forward to more pics of Ricky and it would be useful for people on here to see pics of his abscess, the healing process and fully healed as it does help others, if you can manage to get a couple O0

I'm trying to put a little pic of Ricky next to my user name like everyone has. I've been playing around with it, but not sure how to do it. I'm going to post this to see if it comes up. If not, does anyone know how to get the little picture up to the left, next to your post? Let me see if it worked....

Yes it did! I'll try to take pics of his cut, but it's pretty bad to look at. Very deep and open. Even I cringe when I look at it. Maybe I'll go try now and post them in a little while. I don't want to gross anyone out!

Just an update.....so far it's been two days with no hospital visit! It actually looks like the cut is healing. It's still not pretty to look at, but it's getting better. He doesn't seem to be bothered much..except for when I clean it out. He's actually pretty good when I flush it, but today he jumped a little. He's been through a lot, the poor baby! But I'm pleased on how it's looking. I tried to take pictures, but they come out so blurry. I don't know why. OK, that's the latest. I'll update again in a day or two!

Fantastic, keep up the good work O0 Well done Ricky too :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back