• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

munchies hair loss-dont think its mites

• Thread starter Thread starter Lez
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine have a CocoNeem Melt if they have mites, shampooed off with Manuka and Neem. Ask Chrissie about the Just for Boars shampoo.

will do. i tried earlier in the week but got confused with the email addy.

do i email the "feedback" address? as thats the only one i can find on the website

hes ok. the patches still the same :-\

he's being a lazy piggy today. gonna get him out for huggles now :smitten:

Hi, just wondering what you used on Munchie for his skin as I think my two piggies have a similar problem.

the vet gave me spot on. but I'm still convinced its not mites, as his recovery isnt happening how the vet said it would, and because it hasnt spread to his cagemate. which happened last time they had mites.

but if your piggys have hair loss i would recommend a vet trip as mites is the most common problem i think

I took both my piggies to the vets and the stuff they gave cost £60 and didnt work, I will try some GG shampoo and see if that helps. They dont live together, also the other piggies they are with dont have the same prob so wondering if it isnt mites?

Hairlosscan happen because of cystic ovaries, where is it and how many patches?

Liver problems can also cause hairloss. Also bedding related issues. What bedding are you using?

is that for me or munchie karen?

(its so confusing talking about someone called munchie when the piggy in question in my case is munchie ;D)

Sorry, should've used quotes! Will have the mods on at me! It was for both of you :)

ah ok :)

well i can rule out ovary probs on munchie ;D

bedding wise, i use megazorb, and have a corner full of hay for them

Hi, sorry to confuse things by being called Munchie lol! (Its one of my piggies names). I should have started a new topic. The vet gave me spot on for my two piggies but it didnt do anything. The prob is getting worse, the baldness is on their bellys, sides and legs. They are both girls, the vet said he couldnt feel any cysts. All I can think is to use a shampoo?

if they had mites badly then spot on wouldnt have been enough, they should have had injections. the vet didnt inject my munchie as she said she wanted to rule out mites, and didnt think it was bad enough for injections.

it could be fungal in your case?

This does sound hormonal to me.The cysts may be very small,in which case an injection of HCG may well work.Talk to your vet about this.If the problem is hormonal,Ivermectin and shampoos will not help.

my munchie is due back at the vet at the weekend to check up on how hes doing. although the patch on his neck has grown back, and one of his arm patches is slightly better, i swear the worst patch hasnt improved at all. and he is still chewing his fur :-\

i thought he was getting better but its only very very slow improvemment

I think I will go back to the vet and see if he can try something else, they had several rounds of spot on which did nothing, it has to be either fungal or hormonal? Should I get some shampoo anyway?, what do you think? I have never tried GG shampoos before. Lez, I hope Munchies fur grows back soon :) :smitten:

just an update on munchie. as i thought, its not mites.

the mite treatment hasnt worked, nor has it spread, nor has bob caught it. the same patches are still there. hes due back to the vet this week, and I'm waiting for the coconeem to arrive from gorgeous guineas to try that.

I'm keeping a close eye on both piggys incase it did spread to bob, however after the 4 weeks munchie has had this I'm pretty sure bob would have got it by now if it was mites. ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back