• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

munchies hair loss-dont think its mites

• Thread starter Thread starter Lez
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lez

for over a week now munchie has been obsessively nibbling his front legs. when i checked him over, i discovered hes missing a lot of hair along the underside of both front legs.

I'm a little worried as the patches are pretty big. I'm sure its not mites because hes had mites before, and theres no flakey skin, and hes not scratching anywhere else, just nibbling and grooming his front legs all the time :-\

can anyone suggest anything? other than this he is perfectly normal and healthy

no its not like the picture on there, its down the inside of his arms (like where armpits are on humans. but it runs along the inside where the arm joins to the body. i compared to my other piggy bob, and he doesnt have it. its 2 completely bald patches.

ill try get a picture

hes not been treated for mites recently, he had mites aaaaages ago, both him and his cagemate, thats why i dont think its mites

munchbald.jpg

does it look like that pic to you? I'm not sure, on the pic on that website it was further down the arm.

the other side is a slightly bigger patch

i feel bad that pic looks so horrible, but we really werent hurting him in it, was being as careful as possible lol

ok thanks O0 will get him checked over

confused me cos it looks nothing like his skin did last time he had mites, but both piggies did have it pretty bad

Lez said:
ok thanks O0 will get him checked over

confused me cos it looks nothing like his skin did last time he had mites, but both piggies did have it pretty bad

You might (excuse the pun) just have caught it early on which is a good thing.

hopefully :) bf is gonna call the vets while I'm at work tomorrow morning, and get us an appointment with him :)

I know this may not relate but one of my cats 'overgrooms' when he's stressed and gets baldy patches just like that. We've had him the vets countless times and its been deduced thats what it is. could this be possible with guinea pigs? it just doesnt look like the normal mites bald patches :-\ sorry if I'm just sounding stupid but the patches look so similar to khans. He also does it in specific places every time, he doesnt go bald all over. Hope he gets better x

hmmm could be. i dont know why he'd be stressed, he was having a few minor problems with his cagemate, but thats all sorted now it was just a dominance thing. :-\ but hes still doing the nibbling now. he was doing it just a minute ago again.

That's what khan does too, he does it if other male cats have been in the garden because he's not a very dominant cat himself and seems a bit nervous sometimes, thats what the vet said anyway. He's never had any problems and goes through phases of doing it then letting it grow back apparently is like a comfort thing for them. We were stumped as to why he was stressed because he's spoilt, tried removing air fresheners, plug ins etc but the vet said there isnt much that can be done about it but the good thing is its not a health problem just a behavioural one. It may not be the same with munchie,I'm not even sure guinea pigs can have it, i just thought id suggest it because the patches looked so similar and you say it doesnt seem like last time he had mites, i suppose only the vet will be able to tell! Good luck with him x

thanks O0 i dunno if piggys can do it either, he seems very happy in himself still so if hes stressed hes not showing it any other way. guess ill see what the vet says

Khan never appears stressed either, i think its like animal OCD lol, he just seems to like to do it! x

Hi Love how's Munchie today? :( :( :(

Sending lots of healing wheeks and loves from us both :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

p.s. let me know please :-*

Don`t know if it is of any help but Lennie was doing this to one of his legs, he was pulling the fur out! I examined him and found some hair loss there and one patch on his back. I gave him GG coco neem melt and shampoo once a week for three weeks and it cleared up :)

munchies ok today, i havent really seen him much though cos ive been at work since 7am.

hes booked in at the vets for 2:15 tomorrow, so will get him checked out just in case O0

just got back from the vets, it appears it is mites afterall :-\ his skin is pretty sore, and he has a third patch coming under his neck.

vet gave him mite treatment, so will see how it goes.

gotta go back if it doesnt work

munchie has lost more hair again. if the hair loss continues to get worse over this week i think ill take him back early to get him checked over again. he now has a 4th patch on th back of his neck, behind his head :(

Oh dam :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Love you're doing everything right, keep up with the TLC for him :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: and yes check him out again soon if it gets worse.

will do, just had him out for some cuddles and a check over.

I'm keeping a close eye on him, this new patch is very obvious, it almost looks like a parting in his hair, just a line down his head/neck where theres no hair. keeping a very close eye, and watching bob too just in case, if its still getting worse by the wekend ill take him back.

the vet said if its mites it wouldnt improve until the 2nd treatment, but it seems to be getting worse quite quickly :-\

Email Chrissie at gorgeous guineas, she can advise on that one :)

Pgs are normaly better after the 1st Ivermectin dose,but they do need a shampoo as well.As long as you leave 48 hours clear of the Iver4mectin dose there is no problem.GG shampoos are the best to use.As someone has already suggested email Chrissie.She will answer quickly and you can rely on her advise.

[email protected]

the vet didnt give him the injection she gave him spot on, as she said if it was mites it looks like we caught it early

the only gg shampoo i have is just for boars, should i order the mites one too?

I'm still not convinced it is mites as the patches arent improving

Hi Lez,

Are you sure it is not fungal,or possibly a combination of both?.

The hair can often take a couple of weeks to grow back,and I am sure that GG melt and shampoo will help.I used a GG shampoo on a big with stubborn fungal infection,and it cleared it quickly.

If you email Chrissie and if possible send a photo she will advise you.

I have used Cocoa Neem melt and Manuka and Neem shampoo on pigs with mites,and in one case the piggy did not need Ivermectin as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back